BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Mporium BMW

05-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335i

Cooperation between BMW and Mercedes

What are your opinions on the planned cooperation between BMW and Mercedes, who are planning on developing and sharing small things such as wiperblades but possibly engines for e.g. 3er and C-Class, and other parts?
      05-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

I never heard of this, but if it true then it is extremely disappointing. Wold in general is loosing individualism in exchange for cash.
      05-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Expect shared window switches.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
I never heard of this, but if it true then it is extremely disappointing. Wold in general is loosing individualism in exchange for cash.
It was just on the news here in Germany, thought I'd spread the word.
They explicitly said it will only be small things in the near future, but we all know what that means.... Apparantly, the reason behind all this is that they are trying to downsize costs in R&D for engines and tech in general. R&D can't be that much for a bunch of switches and wiperblades in order for a cooperation to pay off.....
Maybe the C335 is just lurking around the corner...
      05-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
Maybe the C335 is just lurking around the corner...
I would have that. Mercedes has much better customer care and they would probably get it right.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
I would have that. Mercedes has much better customer care and they would probably get it right.
Agreed. And maybe they have fail proof HPFPs too.
      05-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed. And maybe they have fail proof HPFPs too.
Not if the HPFP is also shared
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
Very Disappointing!!! i take pride on th fact that my car has nothing @ alll to do with MB... Especially after being a regretful owner of on of those pieces of craps...

But thats would be very disappointing and I hope that is not confirmed!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
BIMMER//DRIMMER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 06

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
wow very interesting bit of information.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

This is an older article I found in English. It basically sums up what they have been planning, which has now been confirmed.

Frankfurt - Germany's two prestige car brands, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, are stepping up plans to share research and manufacturing as they seek ways to cut costs during the economic downturn, a German newspaper reported Sunday.

All cooperation was conceivable provided it was not noticeable to customers or detrimental to the two unique brands, senior executives were quoted as saying by the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung.

BMW, based in Munich, and Daimler, the Mercedes-Benz maker based in Stuttgart, have been in talks for years on pooling resources, but such moves have been obstructed by engineers opposed to using the arch-rival's technologies, the newspaper said.

Day by day, the pressure of costs was overcoming that resistance, the newspaper added. It said the first contracts were ready to sign, but the two companies were not planning any cross-shareholding in one another.

Premium cars have suffered a sharp downturn in world sales.

A Daimler spokesman responded Sunday that the company would not comment and everything that had to be said would be announced on Tuesday by senior executives at an annual financial-results news conference.

At BMW, a spokesman said the talks were public knowledge and 'not new,' but he denied there had been any new concrete outcome to the talks. He said the two groups were already jointly developing hybrid power units and conducting joint purchasing of components.

Those components were out-of-sight items under the skin of the cars such as air-conditioner parts or seat-belt-tension springs.

Source: http://www.monstersandcritics.com/ne...eration_plans_
      05-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

it's an old topic as well

BMW, Mercedes-Benz join forces

Mercedes to share research with BMW

The Wall Street Journal: "BMW, Mercedes Mull a Parts Pact"
      05-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

You're right, I had seen speculations about this in the past as well. But all their planning is actually being put into action now, as opposed to before where it was just planning for the approaching future.
      05-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
ArabianSensation
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

If you value handling, get a BMW. Mercedes cars have always been big executive vehicles for the most part.

I can see them sharing some parts but let's be honest, they are two different companies. Maybe they'll get together and make a M-Z8 AMG SLR 65.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #14
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianSensation View Post
If you value handling, get a BMW. Mercedes cars have always been big executive vehicles for the most part.

I can see them sharing some parts but let's be honest, they are two different companies. Maybe they'll get together and make a M-Z8 AMG SLR 65.
And now the new 7 does a good job filling that part of the market.
And for the coziest exec vehicle, BMW wins with the RR Phantom (much better than the Maybach from what I have read)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #15
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

they won't share engines.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #16
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
they won't share engines.
Considering current development of hybrids and explorations of other alternatives I wouldn't put any money on that.
      05-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #17
ilidon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
If this happens then there's going to be a balance of performance and luxury between the two brands. Let's just hope, like what the others have said, that the uniqueness in each car brand is still there unlike ford/lincoln/mercury which all looks the same but only have a different badge.

[IMG]http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #18
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

ewwww that sounds like a poopie idea

bmw and merc have been rivals forever thats like burger king to start selling little things from mcdonalds like a bic mac at burger king i find no interest in even hearing about this

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #19
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
And for the coziest exec vehicle, BMW wins with the RR Phantom (much better than the Maybach from what I have read)
All everybody says is the the Maybach is technically brilliant but the Phantom invokes a better emotional response. If you discount that, i think the Maybach gets that crown.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

i call shenanigans. it cant cost much to develop an engine that they use in like 5 other cars (3.0 liter tt)
      05-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #21
JeepJeep
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: everywhere

I believe BMW and MB have already co-operated before, researching hybrid technology. Check out some of the links Canucklion posted.
      05-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #22
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
What are your opinions on the planned cooperation between BMW and Mercedes, who are planning on developing and sharing small things such as wiperblades but possibly engines for e.g. 3er and C-Class, and other parts?
Totally OK imho, it works on Skoda and VW very well and to be frank I don't think they have much of a choice. They have to do this sooner or later or they'll go bust on ttheir own. It's just now a game of who will be on top.

BMW and Merc can easily share chassis - and just use different set ups. I know for many it's blasphemy but overall most platforms are RWD and similar sizes. 3-5-7 and C-E-S are ok to match them up but make bodies and driving feel as distinct as possible. The only problem is personnel and who gets laid off. Egineers at BMW do driver cars well and Merc people do nice comfy quality cars. I believe that on engineering side BMW might be at slight disadvantage (fuel pumps anyone?) - Merc is just a tiny bit better but also more pricey. BMW on other side tunes the cars to drive well but they make things a bit more complicated. So they can marry the two stregths. And make Merc more driver comfort, and BMW more driver - like in 80s. And Let AMG and Msport do their crazy shit for fanboys of each mark.

I really don't mind if it means they stay in business. But it's very hard to marry these - i think employees of each company almost hate each other, that's how much brand loyalty there is.

Back to why it's necessary - for modern car manufacturer to achieve proper economies of scale they need to be making around 5-6 million units per year. That's VW. Merc and BMW do just over 1 million each. not enough. Even together they will have to share stuff to get more mass market bits out (use the Smart and Mini brands). It's a big challenge and quite exciting. Still, 2-3million is not enough - and this is where a 3rd company will come in. most industry talk points at Peugeot-Citroen. They are the ones who got the cheap mass market covered. Will French and Germans get along - I dunno, but British and Germans manage so why not. Besides, BMW and Peugeot share diesel engines already (in Mini).