BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #2157
tlrid3r
DISITRB
tlrid3r's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
484
Posts

Drives: e92
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Santa Clara, ca

iTrader: (2)

Subscribe
__________________
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. Ohlins RT, Vorshlag plates, RD sways, Alekshop subframe bushings, Monoball, Adj. Toe link, Full Evo Akra, ESS tune, SSK.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #2158
theboss1853
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

My S65 Engine Spun a Bearing... My Nightmare Begins!!!

I have a 2008 M3 6MT with the infamous S65 Rod Bearing Failure.

I opened a case with BMW, NA and they were useless... and denied any responsibility and ultimately turned down my request for assistance. Sorry no warranty and we aren't going to help was the deal.

The dealer quoted $30K for a new engine with install and asked for my after-market warranty info... of course I DON'T have an after-market warranty! I'm screwed.

So here we go.. I have read all these different threads and appreciate all the work that you guys have put into this. I have a very good mechanic that will be removing my engine to diagnose how bad the failure is.

The car has 60,041 miles on her when it failed. I was driving low RPMs pulling up to a light when my engine stalled. I tried starting it but the engine was seized. The engine was able to start after manually turning engine back and forth but loud noises came from lower end of engine hence the diagnosis of the spun bearing issue. Dealer removed the oil filter and found metal shavings.

So here is my repair research and thoughts/questions:

Things to consider:
Crankshaft Replacement Kit
Connecting Rods
Rod Bearings
Crankshaft
What other parts should we replace now?
Oil Pump
Underdrive pully
Timing Chain?
Belts & Gaskets
Oil


Summary cost @ minimum expense
Crankshaft Kit and bearings $2290
Gaskets $176
Oil Kit $112
Labor ???
Total $2600 + Labor

If connecting rods needed add $2300 = $5K plus labor

Add additional $1K if wanted performance bearings = $6K plus labor

Some of my cost research and parts, etc...

Crankshaft Replacement Kit
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-...cal/ES2730670/
Crankshaft And Bearings With Core Charge
BMW E92 M3 S65 4.0L
Price includes $100 core charge
Complete crankshaft with bearing shells
Ships on Jan 20th
$2290.60



http://www.vacmotorsports.com/

Connecting Rods (if needed?)
Arrow Precision - S65 Connecting Rod
Can install with stock pistons - (Unlike Carrillo, these rods can be run with stock pistons. You must balance the rotating assembly.)
Price: $319.95 x 8 = $2,559.60

Rod Bearings
VAC Performance Coated Rod Bearing Set (BMW S65 Engine)
SKU: VAC-HPRBS-S65
Price: $539.95

VAC High Performance Main Bearing Set S65
Price: $599.95
SKU: VAC-HPMBS-S65

Do I need both sets of bearings?


Or should we stick with ESS Tuning bearings to match the new crank?
http://www.esstuning.com/products/S6...-Bearings.html
S65 High Performance Rod Bearings
Price: $595.00


Oil Pump
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-..._Pump/ES23709/
Oil Pump
BMW E92 M3 S65 4.0L
$594.75


Gaskets
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-...Seals/ES17510/
Crankcase Gasket Set
BMW E92 M3 S65 4.0L
All of the gaskets you need to service your crankcase Lower engine gasket set include oil pan gasket, crank and intermediate shaft seals and seal cover gaskets, and miscellaneous o-rings and gaskets. Perfect for lower engine repairs or to stop engine oil leaks originating from the engine block area.
$176.86

Anything you guys can offer to help me on this please let me know. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

I'd love to hear any input on this and/or if anyone has rebuilt an S65 engine following a spun bearing....

THANKS!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #2159
JEllis
Brigadier General
JEllis's Avatar
87
Rep
4,878
Posts

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss1853 View Post
I have a 2008 M3 6MT with the infamous S65 Rod Bearing Failure.

I opened a case with BMW, NA and they were useless... and denied any responsibility and ultimately turned down my request for assistance. Sorry no warranty and we aren't going to help was the deal.

The dealer quoted $30K for a new engine with install and asked for my after-market warranty info... of course I DON'T have an after-market warranty! I'm screwed.

So here we go.. I have read all these different threads and appreciate all the work that you guys have put into this. I have a very good mechanic that will be removing my engine to diagnose how bad the failure is.

The car has 60,041 miles on her when it failed. I was driving low RPMs pulling up to a light when my engine stalled. I tried starting it but the engine was seized. The engine was able to start after manually turning engine back and forth but loud noises came from lower end of engine hence the diagnosis of the spun bearing issue. Dealer removed the oil filter and found metal shavings.

So here is my repair research and thoughts/questions:

Things to consider:
Crankshaft Replacement Kit
Connecting Rods
Rod Bearings
Crankshaft
What other parts should we replace now?
Oil Pump
Underdrive pully
Timing Chain?
Belts & Gaskets
Oil


Summary cost @ minimum expense
Crankshaft Kit and bearings $2290
Gaskets $176
Oil Kit $112
Labor ???
Total $2600 + Labor

If connecting rods needed add $2300 = $5K plus labor

Add additional $1K if wanted performance bearings = $6K plus labor

Some of my cost research and parts, etc...

Crankshaft Replacement Kit
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-...cal/ES2730670/
Crankshaft And Bearings With Core Charge
BMW E92 M3 S65 4.0L
Price includes $100 core charge
Complete crankshaft with bearing shells
Ships on Jan 20th
$2290.60



http://www.vacmotorsports.com/

Connecting Rods (if needed?)
Arrow Precision - S65 Connecting Rod
Can install with stock pistons - (Unlike Carrillo, these rods can be run with stock pistons. You must balance the rotating assembly.)
Price: $319.95 x 8 = $2,559.60

Rod Bearings
VAC Performance Coated Rod Bearing Set (BMW S65 Engine)
SKU: VAC-HPRBS-S65
Price: $539.95

VAC High Performance Main Bearing Set S65
Price: $599.95
SKU: VAC-HPMBS-S65

Do I need both sets of bearings?


Or should we stick with ESS Tuning bearings to match the new crank?
http://www.esstuning.com/products/S6...-Bearings.html
S65 High Performance Rod Bearings
Price: $595.00


Oil Pump
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-..._Pump/ES23709/
Oil Pump
BMW E92 M3 S65 4.0L
$594.75


Gaskets
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-...Seals/ES17510/
Crankcase Gasket Set
BMW E92 M3 S65 4.0L
All of the gaskets you need to service your crankcase Lower engine gasket set include oil pan gasket, crank and intermediate shaft seals and seal cover gaskets, and miscellaneous o-rings and gaskets. Perfect for lower engine repairs or to stop engine oil leaks originating from the engine block area.
$176.86

Anything you guys can offer to help me on this please let me know. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

I'd love to hear any input on this and/or if anyone has rebuilt an S65 engine following a spun bearing....

THANKS!!!
I like where your head is at. Another thing to consider that I think is often overlooked or misunderstood, is that the new engine is actually a re-manufactured S65 from BMW, not a NEW motor.

You might consider one of Dinans remanufactured motors for $18K. Still a big chunk of change but all the work is done for you and its much cheaper than a BMW remanufacture ($18K vs $23K). I am not sure what install costs would be, that would probably depend on where you have it installed.

Also, used S65s can be found at a significant savings as well. You could purchase a lightly used S65, have it inspected, and upgrade the bearings.

Just a thought...
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #2160
marksae
Second Lieutenant
marksae's Avatar
5
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: ///M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

theboss1853, any telltale signs from engine noises that led up to the failure?
__________________
09 E90 AW ///M3 6MT
07 LBP S2K
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #2161
theboss1853
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksae View Post
theboss1853, any telltale signs from engine noises that led up to the failure?
Engine Ticking Noise at low RPMs is what I noticed. If you hear this stop driving and replace the bearings immediately.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #2162
Rupes
Captain
Rupes's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
931
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss1853 View Post
http://www.vacmotorsports.com/

Rod Bearings
VAC Performance Coated Rod Bearing Set (BMW S65 Engine)
SKU: VAC-HPRBS-S65
Price: $539.95


THANKS!!!
I think there is some concern over the VAC coated bearings. The thought was that the extra coating shrinks an already tight clearance leading to premature failure. I'm not the leading expert on this issue though, so don't take my word alone.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #2163
Rupes
Captain
Rupes's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
931
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss1853 View Post
Engine Ticking Noise at low RPMs is what I noticed. If you hear this stop driving and replace the bearings immediately.
Thanks for all your insight, you may help others with this issue down the road. In summary, it sounds like you had some warning to this issue but that your exhaust muffled the engine sound to detect it sooner. You mentioned this may have been going on for as long as three to four weeks. Do you daily drive your car? How many miles would you think you put on during those two weeks? Did the sound occur when the engine was cold as well as warmed up?

Sorry for all the questions, this just continues to be a very elusive topic for many owners.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #2164
theboss1853
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

I didn't drive it much - probably 50 miles at most. The noise was cold and warm engine. I always let it warm up as a standard cold start procedure.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #2165
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
87
Rep
4,147
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss1853 View Post
I didn't drive it much - probably 50 miles at most. The noise was cold and warm engine. I always let it warm up as a standard cold start procedure.
What brand...type of oil was used during the failure?
Castrol TWS 10W60...or the updated Castrol EDGE...or maybe Mobil 1 0W40 ?
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #2166
GIdriver
Major
GIdriver's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,360
Posts

Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
What brand...type of oil was used during the failure?
Castrol TWS 10W60...or the updated Castrol EDGE...or maybe Mobil 1 0W40 ?
I wonder if changing between these three (suposedly good all three) engine oils could cause catrastophic engine failure? Are these S85/S65 engines so sensitive to the oil being used (provided that all three are reasonably good oils for the task at hand)? Or is there an intrinsic engine design flaw? I'm no engineer or oil expert, therefore my question. Sorry if this has been discussed previously.
__________________
2014 E63 AMG-S
2012 C63 AMG (P31) - gone
2011 E90 M3 FBO - gone
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #2167
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
87
Rep
4,147
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
I wonder if changing between these three (suposedly good all three) engine oils could cause catrastophic engine failure? Are these S85/S65 engines so sensitive to the oil being used (provided that all three are reasonably good oils for the task at hand)? Or is there an intrinsic engine design flaw? I'm no engineer or oil expert, therefore my question. Sorry if this has been discussed previously.
The answer is that I have more info than other people on this forum about the Worldwide bearing failure numbers , and all this information I'm trying to drop into my personal database , and that's why I was asking about what oil was used .
Castrol TWS and EDGE (TWS is now replaced by EDGE) both 10W60 are supplied and recommend by BMW , M1 not .
And to be honest BMW has Worldwide serious f@cked up with the bearings of the S85 and now with our S65 !
Here it's quit easy to understand what's going on with our S65 =>http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615
And the reason why you can read in this thread .
For some it's only Internet hysteria for others (like you) sadly the reality .
BTW...My S65 is running just perfect (for the moment) , and realy hope to keep it this way .
But think you can know it..because it was you that was selling your car with the same problem.
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 12-29-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #2168
GIdriver
Major
GIdriver's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,360
Posts

Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
The answer is that I have more info than other people on this forum about the Worldwide bearing failure numbers , and all this information I'm trying to drop into my personal database , and that's why I was asking about what oil was used .
Castrol TWS and EDGE (TWS is now replaced by EDGE) both 10W60 are supplied and recommend by BMW , M1 not .
And to be honest BMW has Worldwide serious f@cked up with the bearings of the S85 and now with our S65 !
Here it's quit easy to understand what's going on with our S65 =>http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615
And the reason why you can read in this thread .
For some it's only Internet hysteria for others (like you) sadly the reality .
BTW...My S65 is running just perfect (for the moment) , and realy hope to keep it this way .
But think you can know it..because it was you that was selling your car with the same problem.
PM'd
__________________
2014 E63 AMG-S
2012 C63 AMG (P31) - gone
2011 E90 M3 FBO - gone
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #2169
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
87
Rep
4,147
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
PM'd
Got it and answered .
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST