BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-20-2011, 12:49 AM   #23
GraphiteGreyM3er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 GRAPHITE GREY

Garage List
2002 BMW  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
Low Engine Oil Warning in iDrive

Question for DLV-Engineering and other participants on this thread.

How many miles can you drive with a Minimum Engine Oil warning (yellow triangle with exclamation point) before causing damage to the S65 engine in an E90 M3?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #24
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphiteGreyM3er View Post
How many miles can you drive with a Minimum Engine Oil warning (yellow triangle with exclamation point) before causing damage to the S65 engine in an E90 M3?
Nobody can answer that without sacrificing their engine; do you want to volunteer yours . Although 9L+ is a lot of oil, the main oil-pump can potentially suck air with less than 8L, hence the warning. I personally think you could be safe for a while by not driving the car hard at all, but why risk damage? Either keep the oil topped off or put a liter in the trunk and stop wondering about such things . Take care.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #25
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphiteGreyM3er View Post
Question for DLV-Engineering and other participants on this thread.

The manual states that when the oil level indicator is at minimum, add oil within 125miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #26
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

I once went to BMW of Fairfax, VA. For brakes. Well what do you know? I get back pick up the car and it was damn near undrivable felt so bad I can't describe. I of course was furious they screwed up something really badly. Stopped got out checked and immediately noticed some complete idiot at the stealership put the rear 255/40/18s upfront and the front 225/35/18 out back. The car has sports package therefore staggered wheels. How can you screw that up? Scarely who they sometimes have in these service departments!

Then I had rough stuttering went in for diagnostics, they I needed a solenoid changed, same stealership, and someone took the engine cowl out. It seems someone was eating chicken for lunch and pineapple with some kind of stew, either tipped their plate or accidentally flipped it had the pieces of chicken and pineapple and stew all over the engine. It wouldn't have been so bad except someone or same guy forgot to clean up after themselves and collect some not all the spilled lunch, put in a plate and put the plastic plate in that hole to trough you call it? Thats under the micro filter under the wind shield. Someone then proceeded to reassemble that squishing the plate plus food down there.

Now I don't know if this was out of spite or what, but I had no known friends or enemies there and can't figure why they'd pick on my car, but be as it may, you would think the engine heat would dry the food and I would be none the wiser, but instead it rotted and stunk to high heavens. Every time I'd turn AC on, I had to turn it off from the smell. Drove right back 2 days later asked for manager. Told him about my recent wheel incident, and now this, asked they check whats up? well dude goes on to suggest perhaps a skunk climbed up there into one of the crevices, but back then i parked out on the street. Plausible maybe, but I told him skunk would smell a lot worse and I know what one smells like so maybe its something else. He had one of the techs come take the car inside and let me walk in with him into the shop for inspection. Holly molly! The start to pulls the micro filter and find food! Guy says they had cowl off too so lets double check just incase. Unfreaking believable left over spill in there too.

Manager got an earful about it. He offered detail, but I was beyond mad and declined. Called BMWNA let them know. They offered to intervene, and I said no, screw you guys, you all suck, just want you to know you lost a customer who has bought 4 new cars from you in the past. Well the refunded all the service charges cleaned up the car anyway gave it back to me next day and let me take a 7 series loaner home.

Well, I have not been back there in years and won't be going back ever. I did eventually swallow my lost customer bit later and give in to ED-ing my E92, but still. Epic f-up on their part. I changed my home dealer to TischerBMW and thats that. But its like a crack addict who goes back to the drug, awesome cars, horrible dealers and reliability not worth a damn.
      04-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #27
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
This is a very interesting subject. I did my oil change last December and when I emptied, I got 9 litres of oil. When I think back, at least 2-3 weeks after the oil change at the dealership, I got a warning to top up the engine with a litre of oil. Anyway, after my own oil change and two weeks later, I got a warning to top up with a litre of oil. Instead, I topped up with 800 ml. The idrive level indicated all fine and I haven't had to top up since. So does it mean when it ask for a litre you top it up with less. I only did this because I got 9 litres when I emptied. So it could be that the dealerships are automatically putting 9 litres of oil.
      04-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #28
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Big fan of bringing the dipstick back...
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #29
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Big fan of bringing the dipstick back...
must...resist...smart...ass...comment
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #30
mark896
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
This is a very interesting subject. I did my oil change last December and when I emptied, I got 9 litres of oil. When I think back, at least 2-3 weeks after the oil change at the dealership, I got a warning to top up the engine with a litre of oil. Anyway, after my own oil change and two weeks later, I got a warning to top up with a litre of oil. Instead, I topped up with 800 ml. The idrive level indicated all fine and I haven't had to top up since. So does it mean when it ask for a litre you top it up with less. I only did this because I got 9 litres when I emptied. So it could be that the dealerships are automatically putting 9 litres of oil.
Anytime it tells you to add a quart of oil, I add half a quart, then re-measure. 9 times out of 10 you do not need a full quart.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #31
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
I once went to BMW of Fairfax, VA. For brakes. Well what do you know? I get back pick up the car and it was damn near undrivable felt so bad I can't describe. I of course was furious they screwed up something really badly. Stopped got out checked and immediately noticed some complete idiot at the stealership put the rear 255/40/18s upfront and the front 225/35/18 out back. The car has sports package therefore staggered wheels. How can you screw that up? Scarely who they sometimes have in these service departments!

Then I had rough stuttering went in for diagnostics, they I needed a solenoid changed, same stealership, and someone took the engine cowl out. It seems someone was eating chicken for lunch and pineapple with some kind of stew, either tipped their plate or accidentally flipped it had the pieces of chicken and pineapple and stew all over the engine. It wouldn't have been so bad except someone or same guy forgot to clean up after themselves and collect some not all the spilled lunch, put in a plate and put the plastic plate in that hole to trough you call it? Thats under the micro filter under the wind shield. Someone then proceeded to reassemble that squishing the plate plus food down there.

Now I don't know if this was out of spite or what, but I had no known friends or enemies there and can't figure why they'd pick on my car, but be as it may, you would think the engine heat would dry the food and I would be none the wiser, but instead it rotted and stunk to high heavens. Every time I'd turn AC on, I had to turn it off from the smell. Drove right back 2 days later asked for manager. Told him about my recent wheel incident, and now this, asked they check whats up? well dude goes on to suggest perhaps a skunk climbed up there into one of the crevices, but back then i parked out on the street. Plausible maybe, but I told him skunk would smell a lot worse and I know what one smells like so maybe its something else. He had one of the techs come take the car inside and let me walk in with him into the shop for inspection. Holly molly! The start to pulls the micro filter and find food! Guy says they had cowl off too so lets double check just incase. Unfreaking believable left over spill in there too.

Manager got an earful about it. He offered detail, but I was beyond mad and declined. Called BMWNA let them know. They offered to intervene, and I said no, screw you guys, you all suck, just want you to know you lost a customer who has bought 4 new cars from you in the past. Well the refunded all the service charges cleaned up the car anyway gave it back to me next day and let me take a 7 series loaner home.

Well, I have not been back there in years and won't be going back ever. I did eventually swallow my lost customer bit later and give in to ED-ing my E92, but still. Epic f-up on their part. I changed my home dealer to TischerBMW and thats that. But its like a crack addict who goes back to the drug, awesome cars, horrible dealers and reliability not worth a damn.
??? How are you not in prison for manslaughter? I would've killed someone.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #32
Port Canaveral M3 driver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3 & 05 BMW R1200GS

Garage List
Take Pictures of shoddy dealer work! Show the world!

Take photo's and send them to your local newspaper & radio station. You know what thy say about photo's? One photo is worth a thousand words!

Post them on the internet with a witness standing nearby. If the dealer makes it right and you are happy, then offer to just hang onto the photo's for now just in case there is another dealer screw up concerning your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #33
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

In my case I just crossed out that dealership! Much easier. Never gonna get my business and I wont have to deal with their crap. Not going to buy a car there and not going to get serviced there ever. I have a few local dealers to choose from so screw them. Oh am sure they wont even notice they lost a customer. They overprice everything and I this is not first time something happened over there. Too many damn patrons and they start treating you like a problem they have to deal with.

I learned one lesson in the last real estate meltdown. If you ever go any place you have to persuade or pester to spend your money.... bad, bad, bad. Whatever you are after is never worth it in the end, and its usually the fundamentals are upside-down because something really out of whack. Just walk. Plenty of many other places that will appreciate your business.
      11-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #34
lightning3series
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Blue BMW 3 series

Hi I'm new here. I have a question. I recently changed the engine oil on my 2009 BMW 320i. I filled 6 quarts and my car is still telling my that the engine oil is low. I am pretty confused my this. Is this normal? I never thought the car would take so much oil. Btw I am the second owner. Recently bought the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #35
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning3series View Post
Hi I'm new here. I have a question. I recently changed the engine oil on my 2009 BMW 320i. I filled 6 quarts and my car is still telling my that the engine oil is low. I am pretty confused my this. Is this normal? I never thought the car would take so much oil. Btw I am the second owner. Recently bought the car.
You need e90post.com
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #36
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

every 7k miles i do my own oil change and i put 9.5 and im still a tad bit short...

FYI thought i drain the oil filter reservoir and wait at least 1 hr before closing everything.. sometimes i put 10 qtz of oil just depends on how long it was draining.