BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
hawkeye-se
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 JB Coupe

LM-R & Coilovers

So, as some (probably none) of you know, I ordered the aggressive LM-R a few weeks ago. I was originally going to run springs + the Dinan camber plates to get them under the car, but I have decided that without having the car slammed, they will look like wagon wheels.

So my dilema now is what set of coilovers to go with. The M is my daily driver, so I don't want anything too hardcore, but I am not sure I will be able to get enough camber out of the KW V3s, and may have to go with the clubsports for the top mount.

The front wheels at 20x9 +8 et. Will the KW V3s at full low setting get the geometry right to allow enough camber on the stock adjusters to get the wheels under the fenders?

SARD, did you have to adjust the clubsport camber plates at all, or did you have enough room at the lower camber adjuster?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Hey, how'd you know I'd read this heh. Who'd you buy your rims from and when are they arriving? It'd probably best to talk to Jae from GT Motoring. My front tires are at -2.75° and my rears are at -2.25°. Make sure you have it aligned after so they can induce extra toe to prevent premature inner tire wear. From what I've read the stock front suspension can not give you that much camber in the fronts. My front camber plates are probably 85% at max camber already, although I did not touch my stock camber adjustment nut. I believe, although not positive, that the alignment guy did add a little extra on the stock adjustment nut. Hope this helps. Sorry I can't tell you minimum amount of camber to safely clear the fender which is the answer you really need.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
hawkeye-se
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Hey, how'd you know I'd read this heh. Who'd you buy your rims from and when are they arriving? It'd probably best to talk to Jae from GT Motoring. My front tires are at -2.75° and my rears are at -2.25°. Make sure you have it aligned after so they can induce extra toe to prevent premature inner tire wear. From what I've read the stock front suspension can not give you that much camber in the fronts. My front camber plates are probably 85% at max camber already, although I did not touch my stock camber adjustment nut. I believe, although not positive, that the alignment guy did add a little extra on the stock adjustment nut. Hope this helps. Sorry I can't tell you minimum amount of camber to safely clear the fender which is the answer you really need.
I went through Jae at GTM as well.

It sure sounds like the clubsport are going to be the way to go. The only reason I doubted it, is because seeing the GTM car on 20x9 +13 fronts on the BBS REs AND on KW V3s. Too bad the challenge coils aren't ready yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

I don't know if you should just get regular KW's with a different camber plate.
If this is your daily driver you better like stiff rides, these aren't exactly comfortable for the day to day.
It's very aggressive compared to the V3 setup I rode in. I am running -2.2 camber in front and maxed out in the rear and there is still more adjustment
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
islandsnow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 AW

If you need tires, I have a set of Toyo T1R 245/30/20 for sale that I barely used (100 miles) for cheap
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
hawkeye-se
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda///Monic View Post
Who else makes an appropriate camber plate? Apparently, KW does not sell them individually.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
DoNDoN
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

When are you getting all of this done? I cannot wait to see it.
      05-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
hawkeye-se
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNDoN View Post
When are you getting all of this done? I cannot wait to see it.
Whenever BBS Japan can get the wheels produced. I hope to have it all complete by the Pittsburgh Grand Prix in July.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
DoNDoN
Colonel
Thailand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye-se View Post
Whenever BBS Japan can get the wheels produced. I hope to have it all complete by the Pittsburgh Grand Prix in July.
I am waiting for the KW Clubsports to come off of backorder. I cannot wait to have another M3 with LM-R's in the area.
      05-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
sard
Major
Rep

Quote:
If this is your daily driver you better like stiff rides, these aren't exactly comfortable for the day to day.
It's very aggressive compared to the V3 setup I rode in. I am running -2.2 camber in front and maxed out in the rear and there is still more adjustment
Do you know what settings were on the bump and rebound for the clubsports? If so what were they? 9 clicks open front.. 6 clicks open front, 1 turn open rear..1 turn open fronts..

Also what setup are you using to get -2.2° camber in the fronts?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I didn't check the settings individually. KW CS come setup in a mid setting for all around use. I went from there and stiffened things up to higher setting as I see fit.
I guess I could check sometime tomorrow by just turning them in one direction and then back
I was able to get 2.2 camber. Depending on your height it will be between 2.1-2.2 Once you go way to low it wasn't possible to put the car into a good alignment spec
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
DoNDoN
Colonel
Thailand
Rep

This is great info guys.
      05-24-2009, 01:10 AM   #13
sard
Major
Rep

Quote:
I didn't check the settings individually. KW CS come setup in a mid setting for all around use. I went from there and stiffened things up to higher setting as I see fit.
I guess I could check sometime tomorrow by just turning them in one direction and then back
I was able to get 2.2 camber. Depending on your height it will be between 2.1-2.2 Once you go way to low it wasn't possible to put the car into a good alignment spec
Ahh, you have the clubsports also. I find the "suggested" settings by KW for the clubsports too harsh on the street. Fronts 6 clicks open rebound, 1 turn open bump. Backs 9 clicks open rebound, 1 turn open bump. As I mostly drive the car around the streets, actually no track ever, just some canyon driving, I've left them at fronts 7 clicks open rebound, 1.5 turns open bump and backs 10 clicks open rebound, 1.5 turns open bump. This is acceptable to me for the road conditions here in Irvine... The freeways with those insane perpendicular ridges that turn your car into a rocking horse still kill...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #14
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Don't know if these are good settings for you according to road conditions but the ride is smoother and after a weekend fine tuning the settings at the track I settled for

Front 8 and 4 and Rear 13 and 9
This made the car handle a lot better without bottoming out. No understeer induced good balance and controllable oversteer.
Not really a good street setup as its stiff and may be harsh, but really good for a high speed track. Needs some tweaks for a more turn intensive course
Appreciate 0