BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-29-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
e46charz
-
Rep
Drives: m-azing sedan

Will these fit?

Found a set of BBS LMs, however they're off an e39 5 series

wheel specs are 19x8.5 + 17
19x10 + 25
centerbore is 74.1

I understand that size and offsets fit, and i'll need to run spacers in the rear, however my only concern is that they're coming off a 5 series, and might not clear my brakes? Also, the centerbore 74.1, i'm not really familiar with this but wanted to confirm if it'll fit our hubs. just wanted to make sure before I move further. any info would help. thanks in advance!
      08-29-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46charz View Post
Found a set of BBS LMs, however they're off an e39 5 series

wheel specs are 19x8.5 + 17
19x10 + 25
centerbore is 74.1

I understand that size and offsets fit, and i'll need to run spacers in the rear, however my only concern is that they're coming off a 5 series, and might not clear my brakes? Also, the centerbore 74.1, i'm not really familiar with this but wanted to confirm if it'll fit our hubs. just wanted to make sure before I move further. any info would help. thanks in advance!
Yes, those offsets will work for the E90 M3, but you can actually put a 5mm spacer front and rear to make them look even better IMO.

As for the wheel centerbore question...

Yes, those 5-series wheels have a hub centerbore (74.1mm), and that is too large for your E90 M3 sedan.

The E90 M3 has a hub that measures 72.5mm. That's the bad news...

The good news is....there is an easy fix for this problem.

All you need to do, is buy yourself a set of 4 hubcentric wheel centering rings. (72.6mm to 74.0mm)

These small hub centering rings, will fill in the small gap between your M3's hub and the larger centerbore of the 5-series LM's. You must have hubcentric centering rings installed on these new 5-series wheels, before you mount them on the car. If you don't, you will experience severe steering wheel shake and vibration issues since the wheels will not be centered correctly on your smaller factory brake hubs. (the wheels will not spin true)

Here are a few pics that illustrate what you need:

You can buy these from tire track, a few forum sponsors, and a number of online websites. There may be a local wheel shop near you, that has these in stock. (especially if they do a lot of BMW wheel fitments)

Ask for a set of four 72.60mm (or 72.56mm) to 74.0mm hubcentric wheel centering rings. You want the hubcentric rings to fit over your current brake hub lip (E90 M3) and inside the the hub bore of the 5-series wheels. So of course the measurements can't be exactly the same as the two measurements you have now. (72.50mm & 74.1mm) It's very important to ask for the correct hubcentric ring sizes upfront.

Post pics of the wheels mounted on the car once you get this done. Take Care.

BTW: Those Forgestar F14's look good in your sig pic.
      08-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
e46charz
-
Rep
Drives: m-azing sedan

thanks for the thorough reply! very detailed and easy to understand. I had a feeling center bores wouldn't fit. I'm assuming this will still be safe for high speeds correct?

^ Thanks! Forgestars were sold earlier this month!