BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #67
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
You think?.,.i would think the RFT heavy duty side wall would protect the wheel..having run them you would get bubbles galore
Yes. A non-RFT sidewall will flex and, thus, reduce the severity of an impact experienced by the wheel. A RFT sidewall is almost like a "rigid" extension of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #68
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

OEM wheels, at least some of them, are made by BBS. I believe the 19" forged ones are made by Fuchs? I forget. Anyways I think its better to say pick your manufacturer wisely rather that OEM wheels are the only good wheels. You don't see countless threads decrying BBS LM-R build quality, for instance.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #69
Vise
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 RS

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inandout View Post
That'z what happenz when you buy wheelz from a company that putz a 'z' at the end.
Well played.
Past: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan Melbourne Red / Black Novillo Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #70
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #71
mikesis
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Yikes. At least this is not a $10,000 set of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #72
nowaym3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: eeeeeeee92

that's a 2pc wheel, the 1pc barrel's are made in china, they produce there wheel with Rennen.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #73
db71
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaym3 View Post
that's a 2pc wheel, the 1pc barrel's are made in china, they produce there wheel with Rennen.
Yup plus the outer barrel is Chinese gravity cast.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #74
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E46 m3, Z4 M Coupe

Sure you weren't driving on Wilshire in LA? :P

Seroiusly, that sucks man. One way or another, I hope you get everything back in order without a dime out of your pocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #75
db71
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 Audi S5

Not that this will make you feel better but this company seems to have a few issues. Seems maybe they did not get their stuff straight as was mentioned.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...s-warning.html
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #76
nowaym3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: eeeeeeee92

Quote:
Originally Posted by db71 View Post
Not that this will make you feel better but this company seems to have a few issues. Seems maybe they did not get their stuff straight as was mentioned.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...s-warning.html
You beat me to it!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #77
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
HOLY CRAP!

I've never seen that before - I must agree, seems like a manufacturing structural failure.
whoa!!! glad your safe and your car is OK. But i do agree on these lil wheel companies popping out of no where recently...flashy on the outside but nothing on the inside.
      04-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #78
SuckedForLuck
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335 XI

I spent 150 repairing my rims. not too bad. the ride on the fun flats kills me
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #79
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved M3 View Post
What is the best thing to do? Keep trying to go after the county?
Yeah, that manhole is like in the middle of the road!! What were they thinking, putting a manhole there?

I was almost sympathetic towards you, until I went back and read this after seeing pics of said "pothole".

Clearly, the problem here is the wheels on your car that were not fit for road use. Regardless of whether they came on it or not, it's your responsibility to ensure that your equipment is up to spec, so that you don't pose a safety hazard and liability to other motorists.

Stop acting like a victim of the county, the previous owner, the crappy wheel company, and now the other forum members. Try taking responsibility for your shit. If you buy a car and it has some obviously non-OEM parts on it, you need to understand the implications on maintenance, use, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #80
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty// View Post
Yeah, that manhole is like in the middle of the road!! What were they thinking, putting a manhole there?

I was almost sympathetic towards you, until I went back and read this after seeing pics of said "pothole".

Clearly, the problem here is the wheels on your car that were not fit for road use. Regardless of whether they came on it or not, it's your responsibility to ensure that your equipment is up to spec, so that you don't pose a safety hazard and liability to other motorists.

Stop acting like a victim of the county, the previous owner, the crappy wheel company, and now the other forum members. Try taking responsibility for your shit. If you buy a car and it has some obviously non-OEM parts on it, you need to understand the implications on maintenance, use, etc.
Note this guy is from BOSTON, home to some of the worst pot holes known to man!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #81
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangTa View Post
That's not the point.

OP, himself, said:
Quote:
the pothole/manhole was not some crazy big thing like you guys probably think it is. I took a picture that day. Here it is below. As you can see, it is not large at all and driving straight forward, you probably would not even think it would cause damage. This is more of reason that its something wrong with the wheel itself.
And:
Quote:
I was planning on selling them as 20" was too large for my area
And in spite of numerous people telling him the wheels are obviously crap and that no properly built wheel should do that, he goes on to say this:
Quote:
Guess i gotta keep trying to go after the county, maybe it's time to contact the news like someone mentioned here.
And this:
Quote:
Hopefully others like yourself will read this before posting uselss comments.
Op needs to man up (or Evolve, so to speak ) and accept that he got sold defective/unfit wheels. He had the option of dealing with this when he bought the car, but he accepted the wheels as is. He knowingly took a risk by running them, even though he knew they weren't fit for the roads. Although he didn't know how much of a risk, since he never bothered to research that make & style of wheel. He should just be glad that no injury or further property damage occurred.

Instead, he keeps talking about trying to go after the county. Even though he and everyone else seems to agree that it was a bad wheel with inadequate sidewall. Then, he complains about unsympathetic comments, calling them unhelpful (they're not unhelpful: most/all are telling him what he needs to know - that the wheel is bad).

Finally, he still intends to sell them on to the next sucker. IMO, the only place he should sell them is to a scrap metal dealer, where he could get about $50 per wheel. That's what I'd do, anyhow. Not the main point of my reply.

If you want to side with OP, fine. I'm just saying people who go through life thinking that everything bad that happens to them is the fault of somebody else, and that someone should pay for their misfortune, get no sympathy from me and are going to get a wakeup call sooner or later.

Last edited by Drifty//; 05-02-2012 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: pun
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 02:36 AM   #82
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty//
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangTa View Post
That's not the point.

OP, himself, said:
Quote:
the pothole/manhole was not some crazy big thing like you guys probably think it is. I took a picture that day. Here it is below. As you can see, it is not large at all and driving straight forward, you probably would not even think it would cause damage. This is more of reason that its something wrong with the wheel itself.
And:
Quote:
I was planning on selling them as 20" was too large for my area
And in spite of numerous people telling him the wheels are obviously crap and that no properly built wheel should do that, he goes on to say this:
Quote:
Guess i gotta keep trying to go after the county, maybe it's time to contact the news like someone mentioned here.
And this:
Quote:
Hopefully others like yourself will read this before posting uselss comments.
Op needs to man up and accept that he got sold defective/unfit wheels. He had the option of dealing with this when he bought the car, but he accepted the wheels as is. He knowingly took a risk by running them, even though he knew they weren't fit for the roads. Although he didn't know how much of a risk, since he never bothered to research that make & style of wheel. He should just be glad that no injury or further property damage occurred.

Instead, he keeps talking about trying to go after the county. Even though he and everyone else seems to agree that it was a bad wheel with inadequate sidewall. Then, he complains about unsympathetic comments, calling them unhelpful (they're not unhelpful: most/all are telling him what he needs to know - that the wheel is bad).

Finally, he still intends to sell them on to the next sucker. IMO, the only place he should sell them is to a scrap metal dealer, where he could get about $50 per wheel. That's what I'd do, anyhow. Not the main point of my reply.

If you want to side with OP, fine. I'm just saying people who go through life thinking that everything bad that happens to them is the fault of somebody else, and that someone should pay for their misfortune, get no sympathy from me and are going to get a wakeup call sooner or later.
Drifty - man, I'm on your side. I only referenced your location to inference that you likely know bad roads and thus have the right mentality when thinking about equipping your car with the "proper" equipment. You'd be amazed by some of the people out here in LA, where cars are a way of life.

I'm from New England as well and yeah, I'd never drive with this type of wheel on the roads in Vermont. That would just be asking for trouble!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 04:15 AM   #83
Elementary
If you ain't first, you're last!
Rep
Drives: M Drei

Many cheap wheel companies purchase their barrels from China. Ex. Your barrels that split in half.

Lesson... don't buy POS wheels for your 80k car, you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #84
Julius@Style77
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

I suggest taking it up with Iconz to get some resolution.

As for the barrel quality and wheel quality, My experience as a vendor is that although there are literally hundreds of brands out there, only a handful really have do it the right way, from materials, engineering, design, production to packaging and customer service.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #85
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I'd put more blame on the roads, and have them cover the costs for you. Document everything. You have a police report which is good and you are on the right track.

I know for a fact that if a truck driver has snow flow off their trailer and break your windshield, then are to blame.

I'd get another wheel and pay for things up front pending you get the State DOT on your side.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #86
Evolved M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty// View Post
That's not the point.

OP, himself, said:

And:

And this:

Op needs to man up (or Evolve, so to speak ) and accept that he got sold defective/unfit wheels. He had the option of dealing with this when he bought the car, but he accepted the wheels as is. He knowingly took a risk by running them, even though he knew they weren't fit for the roads. Although he didn't know how much of a risk, since he never bothered to research that make & style of wheel. He should just be glad that no injury or further property damage occurred.

Drifty,

Wow...going through all my posts to quote them...but in the end...still getting the point wrong.

You keep saying how i need to "man up" or do research on the company. You say i should have listened to people and known the wheels where crap...and even as far as "Finally, he still intends to sell them on to the next sucker". I didn't want to get into so much detail with you, but im going to have to since everything you said is one sided and makes no sense. So here we go:

If you read my posts in order, my first post which talks about the incident, was asking about what to do. This was to gain some information from people who might have had a similar issue and about the company. Since these wheels came with the car, i obviously did not purchase them myself so i did not do any research on them prior. I am not psychic so i do not know the wheels where crap. I also asked if anyone has any input on the company as i did not know much about them at the time.

Secondly, you talk about me selling the wheels to another buyer. Please go back again and read my FIRST post. It clearly stated that i wanted to sell them prior to them breaking...then i said how it was going to be hard to sell like this "broken". The point...i was planning on selling them before they broke. I had a black set of wheels on the car first, got 1 flat tire, i quickly swapped these on as i need my car to get around, less then a week later i hit this pot hole and break the rim. I was not planning on even putting them on. I can not predict when i will get flat. Luckily i had this set laying around. I was not planning to keep them.

Some people like you, can just brush off over a $1,000 loss and shrug it off. And i respect that (some people have the extra money to just not care). But the fact that you actually went as far to go through everyone one of my posts and quote them, just shows that your kinda stuck up. When people say Iconz is not good and there wheels are crap, or people who give input on the situation in general, that is useful information. When someone like yourself has the free time to do what you just did to bash on me about this, thats just a little childish. Again, its just my opinion. Some people work hard for there money and don't wanna dump $1000 down the drain. If you can, good for you. But don't brag about it and complain about other peoples situation.

Anyway, like i said. Your opinion is your opinion. Of course im grateful that no one was injured. Did you see me coming into this thread cursing up a storm or attacking the county or attacking Iconz?? Not at all...why? Because im not immature. I understand accidents happen, and i was just trying to see if i can minimize my loss from this accident. Im pretty sure most people (except for yourself i guess) would like to minimize a loss on any accident.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #87
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

shouldve bought volks
      07-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #88
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfAnEra View Post
shouldve bought volks
I thought your forum name was Endo Fanera from Italia?
Appreciate 0