BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

09-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #23
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

C63
      09-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #24
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Agree with CTS V first, C AMG second

Though the aston is, imo, one of the best looking cars ever.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #25
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I just got back from the Porsche and Jag dealerships and they're giving me an insane deal on their 2010 XK. 55k. I love the other cars and the Jag wasn't my first choice by any stretch...but DAT PRICE. and warranty until 2016? Pfft!

I'll sleep on it but I can't imagine soon better for the money.

Thoughts?
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #26
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

XK?

... really??
      09-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #27
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No? More insight would be appreciated.

It's a 2010, low mileage, is under warranty until 2016, is in perfect condition, and Jaguar's reliability and dependability are really second to only Buick and Lexus. The ride was superb, had no rattles or noises, nice get-up (385HP)...and it's < $55k.

Please, if you know something I don't, share. "really??" isn't helpful for me yet. Thanks in advance. It seems like a steal for the money.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #28
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
...coupes do you buy, and why?

1.) New Audi S5
2.) New BMW 335xi
3.) New C63 AMG Coupe
4.) New Cadillac CTS-V
5.) 2010 Jaguar XK
6.) 2009 Porsche Carrera 4
7.) 2007 Aston Martin Vantage

Most important factors to me are:
  • Longevity and Durability: It will be my daily driver for a few years, so I'd expect at least 60,000 miles without seeing "Check Engine" lights.
  • Overall quality: Fit, finish, style.
  • Driving experience: I'm not going to take it to the track, but when I want to get up and go, I expect it to snap to.
  • Maintenance costs: I don't want it to become a money pit, of course.

I'm looking for a daily driver, and am open to both new and used. The problem with buying used is that in some of these cases, I'd have to buy the used car blindly (without seeing it with my own 2 other than via pictures). And of course, the warranties are shorter or more expensive.

So anyway, I appeal to the excellent posters here for additional feedback, as I'm suffering a bit from paralysis of analysis. All of the cars look great to my eyes. From what I've read, most seem to be fairly safe bets as reliability across all brands has gotten better and better over recent years. But without any serious personal experience with any of the cars listed outside of the BMW, I could really use a second (third, forth and fifth) opinion on what would be the best of these options going forward.

I did test-drive the Porsche, so I'm aware of how "firm" the ride will be and I'm okay with that. I'm 31 with no kids, so there are no issues there. The car will be garaged most nights, but will probably enjoy plenty of South Florida rain and sunshine during the days.

Thanks for any thoughts or insight that may help me narrow my options.
My personal experience with used car warranties is to stay away. I'd go new in this situation.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #29
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I just got back from the Porsche and Jag dealerships and they're giving me an insane deal on their 2010 XK. 55k. I love the other cars and the Jag wasn't my first choice by any stretch...but DAT PRICE. and warranty until 2016? Pfft!

I'll sleep on it but I can't imagine soon better for the money.

Thoughts?
I'd spring for the Porsche, but I understand wanting the Jag. It's a sexy car too, ignore the nay-sayers.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #30
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No? More insight would be appreciated.

It's a 2010, low mileage, is under warranty until 2016, is in perfect condition, and Jaguar's reliability and dependability are really second to only Buick and Lexus. The ride was superb, had no rattles or noises, nice get-up (385HP)...and it's < $55k.

Please, if you know something I don't, share. "really??" isn't helpful for me yet. Thanks in advance. It seems like a steal for the money.
It just seems so boring compared to the likes of the C63 and CTS-V that you're also considering. I've driven the XK (aunt's car I borrowed) and C63 (test drive, then drove a friend's modded one quite a few times) and there is no question about which I'd rather have. The C63 may not fit in at the country club as well but you'll have a hell of a time in it, the seats hug you so well and are honestly perfect, and then there's the sound - if you've driven or at least heard one, you'll know what I'm talking about.
      09-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #31
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Understood. and I appreciate the feedback, truly.

I actually appreciate how subtly badass the XK is. It has style without screaming for attention, you know? "Confident class" if you will. But I will definitely check out the C63 and CTS-V tomorrow.

But for the quality and attention to detail that I saw with the Jag...and that price...It's going to be hard for me to justify $10-$15k more for one of the others on my list. Here's the car, btw:

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #32
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
CTS V!!!!!!!

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #33
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
I was in a new V and the second you floor it. You will ask the guy where to sign. The power is amazing!!

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #34
BMW//M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Convertible

How about an 09 E63 AMG? It's right in your price range if you aren't a fan of the C63 because of its looks.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #35
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

CTS-V
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #36
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

damn near universal CTS support. very much noted, gentlemen.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #37
BayerischeMotorenWerke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slowly and carefully

why would you buy a gas guzzler as a dd?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 02:40 AM   #38
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMotorenWerke View Post
why would you buy a gas guzzler as a dd?
16/17 isn't that bad for a V8.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #39
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
That's what I thought too, Robert.

Especially with Porsche's documented reliability and quality over the last decade.

But idk. I'm definitely looking forward to additional opinions. On my way to check out the Jag and CTS-V.
Most people are saying that the C63 has a solid engine because it's N/A which means less things to go wrong. I've had enough with F/I cars there is always something wrong(boost leaks,DV going bad, broken hoses,rattling wastegates). As for the CTS-V it shares it's components with the vette which one of the most reliable sports car out there. The Porsche is reliable but I wouldnt want a used car and the 991 is coming out so thanks but no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #40
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Most people are saying that the C63 has a solid engine because it's N/A which means less things to go wrong. I've had enough with F/I cars there is always something wrong(boost leaks,DV going bad, broken hoses,rattling wastegates). As for the CTS-V it shares it's components with the vette which one of the most reliable sports car out there. The Porsche is reliable but I wouldnt want a used car and the 991 is coming out so thanks but no thanks.
actually, the fact that there is a new 911 coming out makes me more interested in the old ones, which will drop in price accordingly. Any recent 911 looks great. But I'm just about sold on the Jag at this point. We'll see today when I see the CTS and Porsche again.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #41
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

I would also considering saving a bit more until I could afford the 997t. Imo, it's best dd available. And as you mentioned, they should drop a bit from the $90-100k range once the new 911 is released.

With 60-65k, 'saving' could consist of buying a $40-45k M3 and taking a $10k hit on it over the course of ~3 years. I'm sure nearly all your other choices will depreciate significantly quicker...just something to consider.

Last edited by yakev724; 09-14-2011 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #42
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

1) go drive the CTSV
2) wide open throttle
3) buy CTSV
4) enjoy WOTing for the next year at every single opportunity you get
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #43
Magic-Man
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54

I'm in the same boat, but not all your cars are on my list. I would take the V over the C63 due to cost of ownership & lease cost. I can get a V for $835 a mo lease vs over $1,100 a mo for the C63.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #44
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
1) go drive the CTSV
2) wide open throttle
3) buy CTSV
4) enjoy WOTing for the next year at every single opportunity you get
not enough WOT opportunities in my daily drives. :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
I would also considering saving a bit more up until I could afford the 997t. Imo, best dd available. And as you said, they should drop a bit from the $90-100k range once the new 911 is released.

With 60-65k, 'saving' could consist buying a $40-45k M3 and taking a $10k hit on it over the course of ~3 years. I'm sure nearly all your other choices will depreciate significantly quicker...just something to consider.
Noted. That might be a good move. I saw an '09 Targa 4S that made me damn near faint. It was going for ~84k so I couldn't do it, but damn if it didn't make me want to wait until I could afford it. But the Jag is such a good deal for the money..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Man View Post
I'm in the same boat, but not all your cars are on my list. I would take the V over the C63 due to cost of ownership & lease cost. I can get a V for $835 a mo lease vs over $1,100 a mo for the C63.
word.

I may have neglected to mention, but I'm also looking to buy.
Appreciate 0