BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

10-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
alefcole
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP 6MT Jet black E92

brake pads/bleeder for a noob

I am a noob and starting to get my feet wet. I already attended my 1st HPDE and i am hooked. My 1st plan is to change my fluid to Motul 600. I was told both castrol SRF and Motul look OEM, so the dealer will not deny my rotor/disc maintenance.

I found this nice website "lpiracing" that other noobs can get their bleeder and brake fluid from:

http://www.lpiracing.com/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=62182

I have a question for the more seasoned people:

Next year I am attending 4 driving schools, changing pads in may and leaving them till september. With my stock michelin PS2 tires (I am afraid to use R compound yet).

I did my homework and read a lot of threads about pads these are my final choices which one would you choose when you were a noob:

Option 1.- Pagid yellows (about 700 dollars, expensive but purchasable), they last long bite like crazy, but I will be driving with some noisy pads in the street (It doesnt bother me too much this idea BTW). I know there are other compounds there but this last long and are the best.

Option2.- Cool carbons sport (about 200 dollars) will not last that long, will not bite like pagids, but I am not in R compounds and I am not pushing the limits being a noob. The added benefit they will be quiet during those months.

Both options are disc friendly,

Opinions welcome. thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Both pad choices are probably fine. I've used the Pagids yellows and like them a lot, they are excellent track pads, however as you know there are other less expensive options. Consider Performance Friction as well.

As to the issue of putting them in in May and leaving them in until September that's a bad idea. It's not difficult to change pads and the more often you do it the easier it gets (see the DYI section). The reason it's not a good idea is that even though the pads will feel pretty good on the street, you are really compromising your cold braking ability and track pads are not going to stop as well as a street pad when you need it most i.e. someone or something happens unexpectedly. They need some heat to operate at optimal efficiency, with a stock street pad this is not an issue and I guarantee you BMW engineers are going to make sure that the stock pad is going to work ten times out of ten when you need it most on the street (track use of stock pads is another issue).
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

The limit of your stopping power is the grip of the tires. Your stock brakes can easily activate ABS with street tires, which is all any braking system can do. The only reason to consider more aggressive pads is their ability to take the heat with less fade, and durability. So, choose the least aggressive pad that works for you, as they will be a better match for your tires. I've used the Pagid Yellows (19 or 29) on other cars with good results. The Carbotech XP 8 or 10 would probably suit your need too, and maybe the Hawk DTC 60 or 70. Any of these pads will be too noisy and dusty for much street use, and when cold, they are not only less effective, but more abrasive to the rotor.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I would advise using ATE Type 200 fluid - it's the same formula as Super Blue but without the color, so it too matches the color of the OEM fluid.

I was told by a racing shop that the Motul is more hygroscopic than Super Blue and would need to be replaced more often - they recommended the ATE for a street car + occasional track day.

The Pagids are amazing - I'm so happy with them that right now I wouldn't consider anything else.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

I just ran the Pagid RS19's for the 1st time for 2 days at Calabogie and I am quite impressed with their ontrack performance.It is a track that has 7 hard brake applications per 3 mile lap with 3 of those being from over 120 mph.Good solid pedal and no uneven pad deposits on the rotor & very good wear on both the pads & rotors.
I have been using them on the street for the last 2 weeks as I am too lazy to change them out as I have my final trackday of the year next week.They are night and day better than the Hawks for day to day use and they only squeel quite lightly compared to the Hawks and I am not seeing any excessive rotor wear in this day to day use which has been about 1000 miles.I am still on my orginial rotors after 32000 miles & 30+ trackdays but they are getting close to the wear limits now with zero brake vibration.
I use the Motul 600 fluid which I bleed at every pad change and I have had zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

OP, I am also recently "hooked". I did the poor-man's brake upgrade with SS brake lines, motul 600, and Cool Carbon pads prior to a series of track days this summer.

I chose the CCs because I wasn't quite ready to DYI the pad and wanted to have a decent dual purpose pad that could handle both street and track. The Cool Carbons performed great for me, with a nice firm pedal, easy to modulate, no fade at all, and the price was right. I did notice some uneven rotor deposits and "thrubbing" on the biggest brake zone at Road Atlanta despite my obsessive bedding-in and cool downs (could likely be operator error, though). My only other gripe is the noise. Unlike what others say, they do squeal when cold, even when properly bedded in.

Next set will be a dedicated track pad, probably Pagids, which I'm now ready to learn DYI. Until then, I'm not sure how long these Cool Carbons are expected to last. Can anybody chime in on that?

Good luck, OP. CC for pads that can stay on all the time. And Padgids if you change them out after track days. It's a little apples and oranges, but you probably can't go wrong either way.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

If you are just starting, Pagids aren't really needed. FYI my fronts wear 2x times rears (Pagids RS-19).

I've used cool carbon pads in the past and the pads are a good compromise, but they shouldn't squeak.

Pagids will make you car sound like a UPS truck.

OEM pads are less than ideal once you move to R comp tires.

Running SRF with no issues. Ran Motul 600, but got sick of flushing the fluid every other event (pedal felt soft). With SRF, no issues after 10+ sessions. So despite the price, ($70-$100/L) SRF is cheaper for me due to the high wet boiling point (live in a very humid environment).

Learn to swap pads and brake bleed/flush yourself, it is a huge time saver (not to mention cost savings).

Welcome to a very expensive hobby.
      11-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
If you are just starting, Pagids aren't really needed. FYI my fronts wear 2x times rears (Pagids RS-19).

Pagids will make you car sound like a UPS truck.

Welcome to a very expensive hobby.
Obviously you have never used Hawk pads on the street as the Pagids are whisper quiet in comparision
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 12:52 AM   #9
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'm using Cool Carbons with Castrol SRF. Was thinking about switching to SS lines but read somewhere that the M3 lines are pretty good.

Last track day I had some brake shudder and excessive noise, but that's because I didn't get to bed them in properly. They're fine now and hitting the track again this Saturday.

I agree with the other posters...Pagids are a bit excessive for noobs like us.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 05:48 AM   #10
Feffman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

The formula I've used for a number of years:

Fluid: Elf HTX (www.PerformanceOilStore.com)

Pads: CarboTech (www.CTBrakes.com)

Never fades and the CarboTech pads are VERY easy on expensive (or cheap) rotors.

Feff
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #11
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Obviously you have never used Hawk pads on the street as the Pagids are whisper quiet in comparision
Your ears must bleed, it is rather embarrassing coming to a "slow" stop. How are the Hawks treating the rotors? The Pagids are surprising gentle, but they better be for the cost $$$.
      11-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #12
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Your ears must bleed, it is rather embarrassing coming to a "slow" stop. How are the Hawks treating the rotors? The Pagids are surprising gentle, but they better be for the cost $$$.
I am half deaf,or at least my wife tells me that I am.The Pagids are acceptable noise wise(at least for me) and get noisier as they get some heat in them and do squeel quite a bit hot at the track.The Hawks in comparision where stupid noisy and even my dog could hear me coming from about .5 of a km away(according to my wife).The rotor wear with the Hawks was great because after 30+ track days & 52000kms they are still well above the wear limits which is great.I am ordering an 11 for spring delivery and I am deciding about a BBK from day 1 or continue with the Pagids and some proper brake cooling.The stock brakes with proper pads are really not that bad!
Appreciate 0