BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-20-2011, 03:14 AM   #23
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

The S4 looks more upscale than the E90 LCI; end of story. It has more detail on the exterior, from the grille slats to the headlight and taillight detailing. Surface complexity isn't as extreme as the E90's, but it might help the car age better. Interiors aren't in entirely different leagues like everyone drinking the Audi kool-aid want you to think. They have different styles, but the materials on the A4/S4's dash aren't any better than the E90's. You could even say the S4's interior is too busy. I'd give the win to the S4, but only by a hair.

Winner by objective performance specs is the S4. Subjective reviews still crown the E90.

In the end it still comes down to preference. Both cars are equally compelling purchases. You can't make a solid case for either one over the other. You simply have to test drive them and go with your gut. I'd honestly take an S4 over an E90 335i, but that's simply because the E90 doesn't have the best proportions, unlike the E92.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 04:41 AM   #24
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Wouldn't mind getting one with the titanium package and sport diff
Don't understand why BMW reserves the ltd slip for M cars, after all, couldn't the 335 use more traction, i.e. more is better than less?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #25
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
The S4 looks more upscale than the E90 LCI; end of story. It has more detail on the exterior, from the grille slats to the headlight and taillight detailing. Surface complexity isn't as extreme as the E90's, but it might help the car age better. Interiors aren't in entirely different leagues like everyone drinking the Audi kool-aid want you to think. They have different styles, but the materials on the A4/S4's dash aren't any better than the E90's. You could even say the S4's interior is too busy. I'd give the win to the S4, but only by a hair.

Winner by objective performance specs is the S4. Subjective reviews still crown the E90.

In the end it still comes down to preference. Both cars are equally compelling purchases. You can't make a solid case for either one over the other. You simply have to test drive them and go with your gut. I'd honestly take an S4 over an E90 335i, but that's simply because the E90 doesn't have the best proportions, unlike the E92.
Amen.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #26
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:

Couldn't have put it better. Although in my opinion I feel the S4 interior is quite a bit better especially because of the seats although I do agree in terms of quality they are pretty much similar.
      04-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #27
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I test drove the new S4 and I must say I wasn't a fan. Don't want to sound like a BMW fanboy since I love me some Audi. The S4 just seemed to refined for my taste. Might be because it wasn't broken in yet but it just didn't have that connected feel.

Plus no coupe so that's a deal breaker for me. It's a nice ride though.
+1 Too many doors
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #28
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

04-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #29
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS13 View Post
+1 Too many doors
S5 facelift soon with S4 engine. Should be interesting.
      04-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #30
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
It's a beautiful car the S4 and to be completely frank I miss it more than any other car I have owned to date and that's coming from someone who's owned a couple of S5s, an M3 coupe and the odd Porsche Boxster. Looks are subjective, you either like the A4 shape or you don't, if you do then all those little S model touches just add to the whole visual thing, the same is true for the interior, it's different seats and the optional carbon fibre trim lifts everything above the norm.

It drives different from past S models and this includes the S5 because somehow it feels far lighter on it's feet, with a nose which is much more willing to change direction in an instant which the S5 isn't quite able to do to the same degree. Next is the drivertrain from engine, the gearbox, it's quattro system and finally it's optional rear diff if added, to some the engine lacks the v8 note but it's still very pleasant in it's own right and to many sounds like a Porsche boxer engine as it approaches the redline, it's dual clutch which like all of the breed either add to the overall experience or distract depending on your point of view, the same is true for quattro in that you either like it and appreicate it or you don't but no one will dislike the sportdiff as it really adds to experience and in my mind gels to whole quattro system into a driver's car that most can admire.

It's very desirable but the same can be said about the 335i, different strokes for different folk. I think it will be interesting to see if BMW's suggestions that awd might make it into the traditional M car range prove to be true because it might mean they show more interest in developing an M/Sport verison for their x-drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #31
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:

Yep, that's pretty much it
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #32
ChipB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 'vert, 2014 X5

One solution to the S5 versus 335i quandry is to get both! That's essentially what I did. My daily driver is an '09 S5. This past fall my wife's car came up for replacement, and we bought her an E93 335i convertible. So, based on first hand knowledge, I would say that the reviews are pretty much right on:

1. BMW is more connected to the road. If feels and drives like a lighter car. It turns in quicker, and is easier to drive "aggressively."
2. Audi is a world ahead when it comes to interior styling and ergonomics (with a few annoying exceptions). The BMW has some really stupid quirks, such as: (a) the master unlock button for the doors is oddly placed in the center of the dash rather than on the driver's door, (b) the switches for the heated steering wheel an auto wipers is places such that it's almost impossible for the driver to see if they are on or off.
3. BMW has run flats - boo!
4. Neither car has an oil dipstick, though I bought an after-market one for the Audi (the dip stick tube is there, it just comes from the factory with a plastic plug in it rather than a $2 dip stick).
5. Audi falls short on placement of the brake versus throttle pedal, making it very awkward to do heel-and-toe down shifting.
6. I haven't taken the bimmer on the track - BMW CCA doesn't allow convertibles to particiapte in HPDEs. I have taken the Audi many times (to both BMW and Audi Club events), and it's a blast on the track. It's large and heavy, and does understeer, but its V8 puts down a ton of power, and Quattro makes it very forgiving. I've also upgraded the rear ARB to dial out some of the understeer which really helped a lot.
7. You can't add race harnesses to either car given the stock seats - the Audi has an integrated headrest and the BMW headrest has only one support post, so neither can work with Schroth or similar belts.
8. MMI versus iDrive - I come down in favor of Audi's MMI by a nose. Both systems have their quirks.
9. After market parts availability - there are many more suppliers of BMW parts than Audi. There's nothing equivalent to either Bavarian Autosports or Pelican Parts for the Audi world. Also very limited choices for brake pads that fit the Audi compared to BMW.
10. Quattro versus rear wheel drive - love the former in the winter or in the rain, and the latter in the summer!

That's about it. Both cars are excellent. And as others have noted it's really a matter oif your own personal preference.
      04-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #33
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

A good friend of mine when from an e46 330i sport to a new S4 (he wanted something different).
I have been able to drive the car in anger. The engine is fabulous! It's like an electric motor - instant torque and takes off right away with no waiting. The engine is very flexible and you don't need to downshift very much.
The interior is nice. Not great, but nice. There are a ton of buttons and functions with the nav screen. Very easy to work and figured out quickly. Materials are good too.
Driving dynamics - it's heavy and very apparent. When hustled around corners, it leans, takes a set and bites in hard. Just throttle out of the corner and it wants to claw it's way through. Pretty fun, but not a live wire when it comes to communication or feel.
The car looks stellar in real life. Very understated, but agressive too. I'm not sure I like the fact that you can get an S-Line package on a 2.0T car that makes it look the same!

He recently took it to the track at Summit for four days of fun. He too noted that the car felt very heavy. He also didn't like the body roll and had to get used to that since his e46 had c/o's. He had a TON of fun when it rained. He said he was passing everyone on the track like they were standing still. AWD to the rescue!

Here's his car:
http://garage.bimmerfest.com/user.ph...car&UcId=13384
Only mod is the side badge he changed from 3.0T to the "S" style supercharged. It looks completely stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #34
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

As I said many times Im a big time audi fan. However when the s4 came out I went to test drive it..what a downer it was. Maybe it was the DSG but I couldn't wait to hop back in my 135 that I drove there with the hope that I would trade it in and join back the audi camp....needless to say it did not happened. That car drove like a boat it looks nice but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #35
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
As I said many times Im a big time audi fan. However when the s4 came out I went to test drive it..what a downer it was. Maybe it was the DSG but I couldn't wait to hop back in my 135 that I drove there with the hope that I would trade it in and join back the audi camp....needless to say it did not happened. That car drove like a boat it looks nice but that's about it.
Compared to a 135i it will feel heavy and slow to react, it's weighs considerably more. The same is true if you compare the 1er against a similar 3er, weight makes a world of difference to any car, but when comparing the S4 to a 335i or better this 335xi then you realise Audi have actually built a bloody good handling car that is entertaining when your expectations are kept in perspective.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #36
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Well put! But the I am one that believes the Audi interior is leagues ahead. I drove a S4 with the carbon trim and alcantara seats, it was really nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #37
CrazyJoe
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92

s5 stands out sick
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #38
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

S4 = the ultimate sedan DD
      04-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #39
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

If/when the S5 coupe comes out with the 3.0 supercharged engine that is in the cabrio....my Audi fanboi love is going to be hard to resist to keep me in the BMW camp.

I think with the 3.0 and the stiffness of coupe, a lot of that nasty understeer will be dialled out. Though it is an Audi, so you will still do some plowing!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #40
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
If/when the S5 coupe comes out with the 3.0 supercharged engine that is in the cabrio....my Audi fanboi love is going to be hard to resist to keep me in the BMW camp.

I think with the 3.0 and the stiffness of coupe, a lot of that nasty understeer will be dialled out. Though it is an Audi, so you will still do some plowing!
Its coming.

That is not a V8 you hear.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #41
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Compared to a 135i it will feel heavy and slow to react, it's weighs considerably more. The same is true if you compare the 1er against a similar 3er, weight makes a world of difference to any car, but when comparing the S4 to a 335i or better this 335xi then you realise Audi have actually built a bloody good handling car that is entertaining when your expectations are kept in perspective.
Yes to a certain point it's true but it got bloated. The B7 size was perfect maybe a little increase but not to the point where it is right now. It's as big as the previous a6.

Quote:
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #42
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Yes to a certain point it's true but it got bloated. The B7 size was perfect maybe a little increase but not to the point where it is right now. It's as big as the previous a6.
And what size do you think the F30 will be?

Cars in general are getting bigger because we as a race are getting bigger.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #43
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
I would rather have a 335i or a even better an M3....

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #44
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I would rather have a 335i or a even better an M3....
You can't compare the s4 vs m3. Used to before now where I live there is a 20K difference between both cars and almost 90 hp difference. Before it was e36 m3 vs s4, e46 m3 vs b6-b7 s4 now it's 335 vs s4

Quote:
Appreciate 0