BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

"Production" M3 is in Geneva

There is a "production" version of the M3 in Geneva as well as the concept M3 which we already saw. Like I said the one we have already seen is a hybrid between a production car and the CSL version. Here is a video of the production version. Mans those rims are UGLY. They just keep giving me more and more reason to not like this car.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Very very interesting. Why didn't they take the tarp off? Why did they even bring it out like that? If that truly is the production version then that's a very good sign we will see the M3 on US soil sometime this year!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Manz_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 BLACK + M6 BLACK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
There is a "production" version of the M3 in Geneva as well as the concept M3 which we already saw. Like I said the one we have already seen is a hybrid between a production car and the CSL version. Here is a video of the production version. Mans those rims are UGLY. They just keep giving me more and more reason to not like this car.

very strange..
why would they make a concept and have the real 1 at the same time?
      03-08-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
lakerfan007
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.0i

To me it doesn't make much sense to bring a car to Geneva, wrap it up and then have it considered to be the "production" version of the car....wonder what BMW's next move will be?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
paulyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I dunno, I don't think those rims are any worse than the standard 18" on the e46...

Either way, gonna have to upgrade to the 19's.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
How do you know that is the production version? Or did you just make that up?

I actually really like those rims. Having seen them on the car in a pchop, they look sweet.

Nice growl on that thing too.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:

This is the same car, the M3 Concept. Those rims are the 18'' we've already seen on different prototypes. The car has been driven to his starting point for the presentation and latter the rims have been changed to the 19'' concept rims. As a proof you can see HERE how much the BMW Runflat system (Flat Tire Monitor) did like the wheel change. On the I-Drive screen the message shows up: "Flat Tire Monitor has to be calibrated" [source: www.autospies.com ]
So theres possibly a production M3 in Geneva, but we've not seen it yet.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Manz_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
As a proof you can see HERE how much the BMW Runflat system (Flat Tire Monitor) did like the wheel change. On the I-Drive screen the message shows up: "Flat Tire Monitor has to be calibrated" [source: www.autospies.com ]
south

southlight... our resident CSI
      03-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
There is a "production" version of the M3 in Geneva as well as the concept M3 which we already saw. Like I said the one we have already seen is a hybrid between a production car and the CSL version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight
As a proof you can see HERE how much the BMW Runflat system (Flat Tire Monitor) did like the wheel change. On the I-Drive screen the message shows up: "Flat Tire Monitor has to be calibrated" [source: www.autospies.com ]
south
What were you saying about how you already TOLD everyone??????
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

I am probably going to receive some negative comments here:

But BMW as common practice bring pre-production models to big Motor Shows but keep them hidden from the main event . These closed door events are mainly for dealers and BMW personnel. But the M3 in it's production form is backstage along with the upcoming BMW 1er Coupe and Cabrio . Last year in Geneva the new 3er Coupe was kept behind closed doors whilst at Paris in September 06 The new BMW X5 and 3er cabrio were kept hidden. BMW are not alone in doing this many other manufacturers show off their future models it was last year behind closed doors that someone snapped the incoming TT behind the stage at Geneva . Beltley also had an example of the Continental GTC prior to it's NYC debut.
Although I have seen The Q7 V12TDi hidden behind a door at this years show I wonder what else is accompanying it.
Indeed do you think the wealthy inhabitants of Switzerland like to sample their prospective Rolls-Royces and Bugatti's in front of the great unwashed public? no that is why there is private viewing rooms.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #11
Manz_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

But BMW as common practice bring pre-production models to big Motor Shows but keep them hidden from the main event . These closed door events are mainly for dealers and BMW personnel. But the M3 in it's production form is backstage along with the upcoming BMW 1er Coupe and Cabrio . Last year in Geneva the new 3er Coupe was kept behind closed doors whilst at Paris in September 06 The new BMW X5 and 3er cabrio were kept hidden. BMW are not alone in doing this many other manufacturers show off their future models it was last year behind closed doors that someone snapped the incoming TT behind the stage at Geneva . Beltley also had an example of the Continental GTC prior to it's NYC debut.
Although I have seen The Q7 V12TDi hidden behind a door at this years show I wonder what else is accompanying it.
Indeed do you think the wealthy inhabitants of Switzerland like to sample their prospective Rolls-Royces and Bugatti's in front of the great unwashed public? no that is why there is private viewing rooms.

hi Scott
what hap to the plate in the bumper?
      03-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #12
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:

How does one attend these private viewing rooms? Certainly, the press was not invited.

If I tell BMW I'll order (25) E92 M3's, will I be invited?

Speaking of which, I wish BMW had some kind of a referral program setup. Maybe something like, refer 20 buying customers to us and you'll get a free E92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #13
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manz_UK View Post
hi Scott
Yeah, Scott, what's the deal!?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Time to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
What were you saying about how you already TOLD everyone??????
Are you reading and keeping up? Here is where I said it originally.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50081

BTW, thanks for the clarification Scott. There are two versions, probably really close in Geneva. Us plebes will only get to see the one we have already seen.

Scott: It is a bit over the top to compare M3 to Bentleys and to compare the privacy expectations of those two customers.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #15
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I think you are wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
This is the same car, the M3 Concept. Those rims are the 18'' we've already seen on different prototypes. The car has been driven to his starting point for the presentation and latter the rims have been changed to the 19'' concept rims. As a proof you can see HERE how much the BMW Runflat system (Flat Tire Monitor) did like the wheel change. On the I-Drive screen the message shows up: "Flat Tire Monitor has to be calibrated" [source: www.autospies.com ]
So theres possibly a production M3 in Geneva, but we've not seen it yet.

Best regards, south
The car totally covered in the video is the "production" version, I suspect. Why else would they risk moving it so carefully covered up? To keep prying eyes away is the obvious answer! OK why did the production-CSL concept have a warning about the RF calibration - simply because the system was not installed on this car or the rims do not support the system. Again, just speculation/debate, but Soctts reply seems to support this theory as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #16
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Are you reading and keeping up? Here is where I said it originally.
Yes, I am. And in that thread you got flammed for saying the same thing.
Soooooo, what is your point?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #17
M///Addict
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 550i

Where is the ///M3 logo on the rear of the car? PLEASE don't tell me there isn't going to be one.
      03-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #18
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

hi Scott

As I said before being shot down! The BMW M3 Concept is a Hybrid of the production car and the lightweight CSL version . The missing trunk lid has additional aerodynamic aids to help stabilise the rear of the car The trunk lid is entirely constructed out of Carbon Fibre and because of its integrated spoiler for increased downforce relegates the rear licence plate to the rear bumper. At Frankfurt this September you will get a teaser of a lightweight CSL model which will futher integrate more lightweight elements than just have a CFR roof. but it will not be the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #19
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Ok, here's the first one. If you were even slightly significant in BMW you wouldn't be giving away bits of infomation like this on a public forum. I suppose you get a kick out of it though.

What was it you said in another post? "BMW have managed to keep leaks to a minimum with the new M3" or something along those lines. Yeah, despite your best efforts.

I take everything you say with massive amounts of scepticism.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #20
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I take everything you say with massive amounts of scepticism.
I kind of agree. What has SCOTT told us thus far that we can confirm has been true?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #21
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Yeah, right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Yes, I am. And in that thread you got flammed for saying the same thing.
Soooooo, what is your point?
Yeah, you're right. I really got "flamed" there . Can you share your definition of flamed? I shared information directly from a known BMW insider, the information makes sense looking at many elements of the design we have seen, we later see another totally covered car with different wheels and are told again by an insider that there are in fact two versions. OK you are right, whatever you want to think.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #22
Trpltrbl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by M///Addict View Post
Where is the ///M3 logo on the rear of the car? PLEASE don't tell me there isn't going to be one.
If you really need a M3 logo on your car for others to see, you just don't get it
Appreciate 0