BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

BPM

09-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

Anyone in Los Angeles With OEM Exhaust Mod or ACM OEM Exhaust Mod?

I recently bought a '13 E93 and I am seriously considering doing either the ACM OEM Exhaust Mod or the OEM Exhaust Mod. I have spent HOURS reading through countless threads and watching many videos. The problem is that I really need to hear at least one of these in-person first to figure out which to do, as I want to be sure they're loud enough but not too loud. I'm essentially looking to increase the cabin noise with the windows up under 3,500 RPMs, as I find the car too quiet compared to my old E46 M3 Convertible when driving around town.

I already heard an M Performance Exhaust in-person and it essentially sounded like the stock exhaust below 3,500 RPMs so it wasn't what I was looking for. I believe the ACM OEM Exhaust Mod might be the better fit for me based on my research but I want to be sure it isn't too loud on the outside, as I want to avoid attracting a lot of attention. I went to MFest West LA last night in search of someone who has done either of these exhaust mods with no luck.

Does anyone live in Los Angeles (optimally West LA, where I live, but anywhere is ok) who has done one of these mods and is willing to let me hear it in-person? Feel free to reply to this thread or to PM me - whichever you would prefer. And thanks in-advance - I really appreciate it.

I appreciate everyone's help - hopefully I will find someone local soon.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Last edited by jeremyr4; 09-26-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
XR_SIX
Bading-dong!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E93 M3 AW, '09 R6

Garage List
2011.5 E93 M3  [0.00]
I had the perforated mod done to my exhaust and would be happy to let you hear it. I'm in Glendale.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

What does the mod consist of exactly? Delete secondary cats?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
What does the mod consist of exactly? Delete secondary cats?
No do a search in the exhaust section. Its opening up the muffler, replacing 2 perforated pipes with straight pipes, then welding it back up.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

Ah gotcha. Thanks. Sounds relatively simple enough for any decent mechanic with a plasma cutter, welder and correct stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyr4 View Post
I recently bought a '13 E93 and I am seriously considering doing either the ACM OEM Exhaust Mod or the OEM Exhaust Mod. I have spent HOURS reading through countless threads and watching many videos. The problem is that I really need to hear at least one of these in-person first to figure out which to do, as I want to be sure they're loud enough but not too loud. I'm essentially looking to increase the cabin noise with the windows up under 3,500 RPMs, as I find the car too quiet compared to my old E46 M3 Convertible when driving around town.

I already heard an M Performance Exhaust in-person and it essentially sounded like the stock exhaust below 3,500 RPMs so it wasn't what I was looking for. I believe the ACM OEM Exhaust Mod might be the better fit for me based on my research but I want to be sure it isn't too loud on the outside, as I want to avoid attracting a lot of attention. I went to MFest West LA last night in search of someone who has done either of these exhaust mods with no luck.

Does anyone live in Los Angeles (optimally West LA, where I live, but anywhere is ok) who has done one of these mods and is willing to let me hear it in-person? Feel free to reply to this thread or to PM me - whichever you would prefer. And thanks in-advance - I really appreciate it.

I appreciate everyone's help - hopefully I will find someone local soon.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Here's a quick video of the OEM exhaust Mod, we have a number of mufflers already pre-modified and ready to install:

[/QUOTE]

Let me know if you have any questions.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_SIX View Post
I had the perforated mod done to my exhaust and would be happy to let you hear it. I'm in Glendale.

Thanks very much - I really appreciate it. If I can't find anyone closer to West LA then I will definitely be in touch (I'll probably move forward in a few days if I can't find someone closer). I'm rarely in the Valley so it will be a trek for me Thanks again.

Anyone else in Los Angeles have either of these mods done? Thanks for everyone's help.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

A quick point of clarification for everyone. I believe what I meant in the title by "OEM Exhaust Mod" is the non-perforated modification, while the "ACM OEM Exhaust Mod" is the muffler bypass.

Does anyone in the Los Angeles area (preferably West LA, if possible!) have either of these mods on an E9x M3 that I might be able to listen to? I believe EAS does the muffler bypass (video posted by EAS above) if anyone has done it with them?

Thanks for everyone's help,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #9
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

I love it.... Newish I did it first instead of wasting money on an axle back.... In I'm Burbank.....

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLSVTM3 View Post
I love it.... Newish I did it first instead of wasting money on an axle back.... In I'm Burbank.....

Thanks very much for your post. Did you do the "bypass" (aka ACM) or the "perforated" method?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks very much for your post. Did you do the "bypass" (aka ACM) or the "perforated" method?

Thanks,
Jeremy
I replaced the perf sections.... Straight through would have been too much for me...

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLSVTM3 View Post
I replaced the perf sections.... Straight through would have been too much for me...

Great - thanks very much for the feedback - I appreciate it. I am currently supposed to listen to the bypass (aka ACM) method this week to judge the sound levels but I am quite sure I will be moving forward with one of the OEM Exhaust Mods, as everyone seems to love them!

If I find the bypass too loud then I will follow up with you directly via PM. Thanks again for the post and feedback - I sincerely appreciate it.

Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I ended up just going for it and went with the louder bypass method. I absolutely love it. The first week or so, I thought I made a mistake because I thought it might have been too loud.

But after a week, I'm was completely sold on it. I get tons of compliments on the sound of my exhaust. I also painted the cans black (BBQ paint), and it totally transforms the look of the car.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I ended up just going for it and went with the louder bypass method. I absolutely love it. The first week or so, I thought I made a mistake because I thought it might have been too loud.

But after a week, I'm was completely sold on it. I get tons of compliments on the sound of my exhaust. I also painted the cans black (BBQ paint), and it totally transforms the look of the car.

Thanks for your input. I'm on the brink of doing that myself, although luckily I found a local board member who is willing to let me listen to his car soon, which is great.

BTW, how do you found the sound in the cabin (with the windows up) at lower RPMs in city driving (ie. below 3,500 RPM)? I'm asking because my primary goal is to increase my cabin noise to feel more attached and involved with the car in city driving. The E9x M3 is just too insulated for my liking, especially compared to my old E46 M3 Convertible (with the soft top), where I could hear a good amount of noise in the cabin at all RPM levels.

Thanks Again,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I'm on the brink of doing that myself, although luckily I found a local board member who is willing to let me listen to his car soon, which is great.

BTW, how do you found the sound in the cabin (with the windows up) at lower RPMs in city driving (ie. below 3,500 RPM)? I'm asking because my primary goal is to increase my cabin noise to feel more attached and involved with the car in city driving. The E9x M3 is just too insulated for my liking, especially compared to my old E46 M3 Convertible (with the soft top), where I could hear a good amount of noise in the cabin at all RPM levels.

Thanks Again,
Jeremy
Yea, definitely hear it for yourself first. The videos online never truly show how the cars sound like.

Driving below 3500, it's honestly perfect for me. What you have to remember is that since the car is so well insulated, it's much louder outside the car than inside. So for me, it was perfect. And cold start ups make my mornings.

How loud do you want it to be? Around here in SC, there are plenty of trucks and Mustangs that have louder exhausts than my M3 with OEM bypass exhaust. I will say though, in the highway, especially going up hills at lower RPM, there is some resonance if you are putting a load on the engine.

Knowing what I know now, if I had to do it again, I'd still go bypass because perforated method might be too tame for me. And I'm not all about loud and obnoxious exhausts.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #16
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Yea, definitely hear it for yourself first. The videos online never truly show how the cars sound like.

Driving below 3500, it's honestly perfect for me. What you have to remember is that since the car is so well insulated, it's much louder outside the car than inside. So for me, it was perfect. And cold start ups make my mornings.

How loud do you want it to be? Around here in SC, there are plenty of trucks and Mustangs that have louder exhausts than my M3 with OEM bypass exhaust. I will say though, in the highway, especially going up hills at lower RPM, there is some resonance if you are putting a load on the engine.

Knowing what I know now, if I had to do it again, I'd still go bypass because perforated method might be too tame for me. And I'm not all about loud and obnoxious exhausts.

Thanks for your feedback. It actually sounds like I'm looking for what you have, in that I don't want it to be too tame but I also don't want it to be obnoxious. I just want the car to sound more involving with the windows up at low RPMs. I think this video is the sound level I am looking for with the windows up (windows up driving starts at 1:20):

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #17
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great - thanks very much for the feedback - I appreciate it. I am currently supposed to listen to the bypass (aka ACM) method this week to judge the sound levels but I am quite sure I will be moving forward with one of the OEM Exhaust Mods, as everyone seems to love them!

If I find the bypass too loud then I will follow up with you directly via PM. Thanks again for the post and feedback - I sincerely appreciate it.

Jeremy
No worries.... Get what you will be happy with. I heard the straight through bypass method. That was loud!!!!! Plus worst part to me was the drone it produced. After a while it will really wear on you.....

Appreciate 0