BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

09-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #4995
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Has anyone who owned the mkI 24-70 2.8L upgraded to the mkII version? A buddy of mine who just jumped back into photography after a 15 year hiatus, did so with a 24-70 2.8, 16-35, 50 1.4, and 100macro. Both the 16-35 and 24-70 are mkII versions which he's telling me are worth the price of admission. I've been waiting for prices to come down, but i'm not sure if that's going to happen anytime soon.

But with those lenses being his first experience with digital photography, and photography at all in the last 15 years, i'm skeptical of his opinion. (even though back in the day he was a borderline pro-photog) Just looking for additional opinions from people who actually spent their money on the lens.
As you know I shoot Nikon but know plenty of guys who shoot Canon. I've seen many examples from both version 1 and II of the Canon 24-70 F2.8 and the new version does indeed look like a significant upgrade in image quality.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #4996
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Compare SI and SII here:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=4

I see very real improvement and would go for S-II, but S-I ain't bad if money is an issue.

Also, please realize that with Digital Lens Optimization in Raw conversion, both are better than they show here, before correction.

Dave
      09-21-2015, 04:38 PM   #4997
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Has anyone who owned the mkI 24-70 2.8L upgraded to the mkII version?
Shot both on full frame bodies and there is a noticeable difference. If you can afford one, get the Mk.II.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #4998
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo View Post
As you know I shoot Nikon but know plenty of guys who shoot Canon. I've seen many examples from both version 1 and II of the Canon 24-70 F2.8 and the new version does indeed look like a significant upgrade in image quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Compare SI and SII here:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=4

I see very real improvement and would go for S-II, but S-I ain't bad if money is an issue.

Also, please realize that with Digital Lens Optimization in Raw conversion, both are better than they show here, before correction.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
Shot both on full frame bodies and there is a noticeable difference. If you can afford one, get the Mk.II.
One bit of info i left out.... I have the 24-702.8 VI. I think (with the VII being released) they are worth about $800 for a nice copy; mine is mint and i have the original box, and all the accessories, all without a scratch. I figured everything i was reading was correct and honestly, if they hadn't changed filter sizes, i'd probably have already swapped them out.
      09-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #4999
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Anyone looking for a mint condition, nice 24-70 2.8L VI?

Ed's excitement over his new lens got the best of me.
      09-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #5000
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Anyone looking for a mint condition, nice 24-70 2.8L VI?

Ed's excitement over his new lens got the best of me.
I wish I had the time to post comparables, but there's enough wonky data on the net to show edge to edge differences and overall sharpness. You won't regret it
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #5001
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wish I had the time to post comparables, but there's enough wonky data on the net to show edge to edge differences and overall sharpness. You won't regret it
I tend to agree. Seems that every review says the same thing.

I went outside of my regular deal and bought from the only local shop in town. And since they don't have the capitol to stock L lenses, i have to wait for them to get it shipped in. Oh well. At least now i'm not a total hypocrite when i tell someone to shop local. lol
      09-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #5002
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
You really can't beat this site for comparables:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Site-Index/
      09-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #5003
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
You really can't beat this site for comparables:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Site-Index/
That's a good one. POTN is also worth a look.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #5004
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Local camera shop called today to let me know that i could pick up the 24-70 II tomorrow after 3pm.

After the purchase, i was kicking my self due to the $125 extra spent on taxes over buying from B&W AND the fact that it could take twice as long to get it. So the sting of the taxes paid is tempered by receiving it 3 days.
      09-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #5005
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Local camera shop called today to let me know that i could pick up the 24-70 II tomorrow after 3pm.

After the purchase, i was kicking my self due to the $125 extra spent on taxes over buying from B&W AND the fact that it could take twice as long to get it. So the sting of the taxes paid is tempered by receiving it 3 days.
Congrats.

In the USA, all should consider Camera Canada. I used them for my 500/f4-II and 5DsR purchases, saving over 20%, getting the same free shipping and a small transaction fee to handle the import. They want you to pay with PayPal, where you get the actual posted exchange rate.

Both my lens and 5DsR were out of stock in the US and CC had them. They do a high volume, but apparently not at the same velocity as B&H and Adoroma.

Dave
      09-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #5006
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:

Just in time for the weekend. Nice. Enjoy the lens and don't sweat the $125, which you probably spend more on a dinner or two.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #5007
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats.

In the USA, all should consider Camera Canada. I used them for my 500/f4-II and 5DsR purchases, saving over 20%, getting the same free shipping and a small transaction fee to handle the import. They want you to pay with PayPal, where you get the actual posted exchange rate.

Both my lens and 5DsR were out of stock in the US and CC had them. They do a high volume, but apparently not at the same velocity as B&H and Adoroma.

Dave
Good to know!

I also keep forgetting that one of the reasons i bought local was so that i could pay in cash for most of it. The wife will NEVER notice the difference between the two lenses, but she some times notice purchases of or around a grand or so. This way, i'm paying $1000 in cash, and the rest on CC. So if she sees it i can tell her that i'm selling the old one for $800 which makes the net cost of the upgrade just a few hundo. lol The games i play. She wouldn't care either way, i think i may do this to up the excitement of getting a new lens. Does that mean i have a problem?

Quote:
Just in time for the weekend. Nice. Enjoy the lens and don't sweat the $125, which you probably spend more on a dinner or two.
I can't hardly remember the last time we spent that much on dinner. We don't drink so, even at swanky places, or bill is hardly ever over a hundred. If we want to really eat good, we'll usually grill some steaks.

We had my parents over for dinner a few months ago and i grilled steaks, wife baked mac & cheese and had some vegetable as well. He must have asked 4 times during that meal if we always eat like this. haha. Then the following day, he texted the both of us to tell us again how good it was. A week later he texted both of us to let us know that he's still thinking about that meal. haha HINT HINT!
      09-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #5008
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
I can't hardly remember the last time we spent that much on dinner. We don't drink so, even at swanky places, or bill is hardly ever over a hundred. If we want to really eat good, we'll usually grill some steaks.

We had my parents over for dinner a few months ago and i grilled steaks, wife baked mac & cheese and had some vegetable as well. He must have asked 4 times during that meal if we always eat like this. haha. Then the following day, he texted the both of us to tell us again how good it was. A week later he texted both of us to let us know that he's still thinking about that meal. haha HINT HINT!
Awesome! Well, the next time, take some pics of the steaks on the grill with that MkII!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 10:24 PM   #5009
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

I picked up the new lens today and did some test shots. The first thing i noticed is that when both lenses are at 70mm the II lens isn't quite as zoomed as the I. This holds true at the wide end of the focal range as well. I wonder if this is normal or if i should contact Canon about it. See below...

vI @ 70mm

vII @ 70mm

Here are a few 100% crops for comparison. At first i was disappointed because it seemed on several images the vI was sharper than the vII. But then i moved the camera back about 2.5' from the subject and these were the results.

vI

vII

vI

vII
      09-25-2015, 10:36 PM   #5010
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quite an improvement. I wouldn't worry about the zoom difference.
      09-25-2015, 11:14 PM   #5011
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

That is a big difference. The zoom bit might be partially explained by this comparison.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=101&Units=E

At the end you'll see that the v2 lens can frame the same subject size at a slightly closer distance. So in your first comparison, you could have slid the v2 almost 1/2" closer to achieve the same framing and it would have been in line with this comparison. Also, the v2 lens has a magnification factor of .21x at MFD as opposed to the v1, which is .29x at MFD. That explains why the v1 framing point is slightly farther back.

Or to put it more succinctly as DC did, don't worry about it.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:44 PM   #5012
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i

Taking my new big white out tomorrow. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 07:26 AM   #5013
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quite an improvement. I wouldn't worry about the zoom difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
That is a big difference. The zoom bit might be partially explained by this comparison.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=101&Units=E

At the end you'll see that the v2 lens can frame the same subject size at a slightly closer distance. So in your first comparison, you could have slid the v2 almost 1/2" closer to achieve the same framing and it would have been in line with this comparison. Also, the v2 lens has a magnification factor of .21x at MFD as opposed to the v1, which is .29x at MFD. That explains why the v1 framing point is slightly farther back.

Or to put it more succinctly as DC did, don't worry about it.
Well that was easy. Thanks. I was just wanting to make sure it wasn't a defect of sorts. As long as that's what it's supposed to be, i won't be worrying about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
Taking my new big white out tomorrow. Can't wait!
      10-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #5014
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Yesterday the Canon Store had another one of their triple discount code stacking "errors." I put errors in quotes because this was the 3rd time this year they've done it. I'm not convinced it was an error. Last time I used the codes to grab a refurbed SL1 at a great price. Yesterday I picked up a 7D MkII for $925 shipped. My cc has been charged and the status on my ordered has been changed to fulfilled, so I'm hopeful that it'll ship. I hadn't planned on buying a 7D MkII quite yet, but I couldn't pass up that deal. Now I really need to get off my butt and sell my 7D.

I also bought a G7x last week. I'll get that tomorrow. I'll be taking that on my weekend trip to FL the weekend after next as my only camera.

-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 10-25-2015 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #5015
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Yesterday the Canon Store had another one of their triple discount code stacking "errors." I put errors in quotes because this was the 3rd time this year they've done it. I'm not convinced it was an error. Last time I used the codes to grab a refurbed SL1 at a great price. Yesterday I picked up a 7D MkII for $925 shipped. My cc has been charged and the status on my ordered has been changed to fulfilled, so I'm hopeful that it'll ship. I hadn't planned on buying a 7D MkII quite yet, but I couldn't pass up that deal. Now I really need to get off my butt and sell my 7D.

I also bought a G7x last week. I'll get that tomorrow. I'll be taking that on my weekend trip to FL the weekend after next as my only camera.
Damn! Thats a good price.

You should share these things when you discover them next time!

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #5016
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Damn! Thats a good price.

You should share these things when you discover them next time!
I would have except I found out right as the deal was ending. Most folks who ordered when I did or shortly after had their orders cancelled. I'm still half-waiting for a cancellation notice myself.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0