BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 M3

AA Green Filter and Power Pulley

I just purchased the Performance Green Air Filter from Andrew at AA, and just by comparing the OEM filter with the AA green filter you can see they are worlds apart. The fit was perfect, it probably took me 10 to 15 minutes to install. The car sounds great, and I did notice the HP gains and exhaust flow, my rpms climb a lot faster! I was on 6 gear at about 2000 rpms and when pressing on the gas, the car just took off!, it was impressive.

AA has great customer service, now I'm thinking of their AA Power Pulley, anyone out there has any experience on that product? Would my Car Warranty be Void if I install the AA Power Pulley

Thanks!

R
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogeM3 View Post
I just purchased the Performance Green Air Filter from Andrew at AA, and just by comparing the OEM filter with the AA green filter you can see they are worlds apart. The fit was perfect, it probably took me 10 to 15 minutes to install. The car sounds great, and I did notice the HP gains and exhaust flow, my rpms climb a lot faster! I was on 6 gear at about 2000 rpms and when pressing on the gas, the car just took off!, it was impressive.

AA has great customer service, now I'm thinking of their AA Power Pulley, anyone out there has any experience on that product? Would my Car Warranty be Void if I install the AA Power Pulley

Thanks!

R
I love my AA Green Filter couldn't be any happier
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:

Thanks!

R

I have a brand new AA pulley with brand new+1 extra belt for sale if interested. Selling MUCH cheaper than new MSRP price:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780918
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

Power pulley is a huge difference. Revs get up much faster again! Get a little use to the feel of your filter and then feel the same gain(more I think) again from the power pulley.

Quote:

Thanks!

R
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

It ain't called a Power Pulley for nothing !
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
+1!
Get one, enough said.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep

I'm convinced! getting one right after the holidays
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep

AA Green Filter Pic

Here is a picture of the AA Green Filter in the Engine Bay, before I put the cover on it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
So how much power does your power pulley add?
any dyno numbers before and after?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

It's a very nice add on, I have both from AA of course

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
hernadorico
Rep
Drives: volvo

12-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

I have an AA filter and am a big fan and believe there is a decent hp bump but the revs simply do not "go up faster" Just impossibe from a filter.

Also be aware if you live somewhere really hot in Summer, a power pulley will lead to your car overheating if you need to blast the a/c
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
I have an AA filter and am a big fan and believe there is a decent hp bump but the revs simply do not "go up faster" Just impossibe from a filter.

Also be aware if you live somewhere really hot in Summer, a power pulley will lead to your car overheating if you need to blast the a/c
AA eliminated this concern by utilizing a pulley size that is closely comparable to the stock efficiency, yet still have really good gains. Extreme heat and cold was the focal point when AA sought out to create their pulley. It is the best all around pulley, I would say.
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post

Isnt the Power Pulley = Overheating issue a myth? Ive never heard of anyone actually overheating. I also heard that, during hard accelerating the a/c disengages anyway to take load off the engine. On top of that I have heard that the slower turning water pump is moving enough to cool the engine and its puts less strain on the pump, making it last longer.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Isnt the Power Pulley = Overheating issue a myth? Ive never heard of anyone actually overheating. I also heard that, during hard accelerating the a/c disengages anyway to take load off the engine. On top of that I have heard that the slower turning water pump is moving enough to cool the engine and its puts less strain on the pump, making it last longer.
I heard that about A/C, but I also heard people with pullies runing hotter on the track that without. Never heard that about the water pump.

Andrew, do you have some dyno numbers of the pulley upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #16
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernadorico
I LOL'ed
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernadorico View Post
Totally just ripped off my line
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
I heard that about A/C, but I also heard people with pullies runing hotter on the track that without. Never heard that about the water pump.

Andrew, do you have some dyno numbers of the pulley upgrade?
Let me search for a pulley only dyno. In the mean time

Last edited by SflBimmer8484; 12-17-2012 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
lolwut
The debater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

has anyone done pass-through silicon capture testing or at least a UOA to see if they're filtering comparably to the OEM filters?

That's one of the concerns I've always had with A/M intakes.. sure they may flow better, but if it returns double digit silicon on my UOA..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #20
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
has anyone done pass-through silicon capture testing or at least a UOA to see if they're filtering comparably to the OEM filters?

That's one of the concerns I've always had with A/M intakes.. sure they may flow better, but if it returns double digit silicon on my UOA..
i wondered about that,too,because if more air is flowing through there's obviously at least the potential for more debris to flow through into the engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
lolwut
The debater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg View Post
i wondered about that,too,because if more air is flowing through there's obviously at least the potential for more debris to flow through into the engine.
I have a dry filter on the CTS-V(similar to the amsoil filters or other 'dry' non-oiled synthetic paper media filters), it's 'supposed' to filtrate to 99% effeciency down to 10 microns.. cotton gauze filters are anywhere between 80-94%.

truthfully, I wouldn't want to sacrafice silicon increases for single digit whp gains. I'd keep the stock filter and save the bearings or rings on my 40K engine. Certinally problems won't manafest themselves immediatly, but over time they will.

The bottom line is nothing will filter like a paper filter. Nothing. Everything will be a trade-off of some sort, and there's simply no data to prove that air filters are a significant cause of engine wear other than that UOA's typically return higher silicon, *and* that most engine wear occurs at 5-microns or less.. which just so happens to be where these filters are unable to filtrate.

ultimately, this matters a lot more for 16 wheeler trucks that turn a million miles or more.. and not really for consumer sports engines that bearly see 150K.. but if you're anal about such matters well.. then it's important D:

Last edited by lolwut; 12-17-2012 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #22
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep

well put
Appreciate 0