BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

09-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #23
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
You have a gorgeous black CLS AMG and covering it up with that stupid clear-bra is taking away from it.

Plus, when that bra gets dirty you will see a significant loss in gloss. Same on my attorneys S550. I convinced him to take it off and get the entire thing detailed, looks much better.
If the bra is installed properly and a quality film is used you wont even notice it on the vehicle. I would think down in South Florida you would know the importance of protecting your paint with love bugs and all. Some people care about what their vehicles look like so they are wiling to spend some extra money to keep it looking new... which will increase the resale value of the vehicle down the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #24
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_cmh View Post
Just take it off and get your money back. IMO bras are lame. All you are doing is sacrificing the way your car looks to protect it essentially for the next owner.
+1 wrap your car in some material if need be but i never understood clear bras. from a distance yes they are clear but anywhere near the car it's too obvious
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #25
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
+1 wrap your car in some material if need be but i never understood clear bras. from a distance yes they are clear but anywhere near the car it's too obvious
As opposed to a wrap? They are both equally noticeable
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #26
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
As opposed to a wrap? They are both equally noticeable
I'll correct myself: a PROFESSIONAL wrap. professionally done things wouldn't be making threads like this
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #27
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

That is a terrible clear bra job...

I swear by clear bras having had it on my cars all the time. Some people say why not just repaint it... the problem is your car will look like crap up until the repaint. The headlights also get beat which looks terrible. With a clear bra (properly installed) on the car, it looks new all the time - no repaint needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #28
skins333
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 BMW M3 MR/21 X7 40i AW

This guy clearly has no business in ever touching a car for clearbra install again (you may want to suggest this) and no way should you feel guilty requesting your money back.

With a little research I'm sure you'll find a quality installer. Although, there are obviously differences of opinion in clearbra vs repaint, etc, I can assure you that it's possible to get near flawless installs done that are barely noticeable yet highly protective and durable.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

Another vote for a poor installation. That was definitely free hand cut, which should not be done unless you already understand how clear bra acts/installs....which he does not.

Hate saying it, but you should request a refund. It's scary to think what could be(has already?) done if you let him cut on the car more.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #30
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2

I got a full refund and removed the bra.
I'm going no clear bra and rocking the stone chips (if I get them)
So far no chips.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #31
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
holy crap! you need to demand a refund. That is the seriously the worst clear bra job I have ever seen in my life!!
+ 1
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #32
NordicBob
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 Sapphire Black metallic

I am so sorry about seeing your car done that way.

My new Black Saffire F30 M Sport is having 3M VentureShield applied to it including the entire hood as I write this. I am a bit nervous and see that there are there are newer and better products out there now ike Xpel. I hastily made an appointmet due to a series of storms that were approaching. In the past, gravel and stones ruined two front hoods of previous cars. At Least the paint protection will provide protection for now until I make a better decision depending on the quality of the work and how it holds up-dulling, scratches, etc. Over the next year.

Any ideas on the best paint protection clear bra out there now for the newer BMWs?

Thanks,

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #33
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by das144 View Post
So far no chips.
Glad it turned out well (sort of), what a hassle, but at least you got your money back. Holy crap, that was a really really bad install.
      12-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #34
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Xpel has marketing that is catered to the retail user. Venture, while having been around a long time, does not. Knowing both products well, I will not say Xpel is better. I'd suggest you go with your Venture install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBob View Post
I am so sorry about seeing your car done that way.

My new Black Saffire F30 M Sport is having 3M VentureShield applied to it including the entire hood as I write this. I am a bit nervous and see that there are there are newer and better products out there now ike Xpel. I hastily made an appointmet due to a series of storms that were approaching. In the past, gravel and stones ruined two front hoods of previous cars. At Least the paint protection will provide protection for now until I make a better decision depending on the quality of the work and how it holds up-dulling, scratches, etc. Over the next year.

Any ideas on the best paint protection clear bra out there now for the newer BMWs?

Thanks,

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #35
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

you can barely see the clear bra on mine
      12-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #36
Beem_mup
Old-ish Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by das144 View Post
So far no chips.
I would shop around and get it done better for less. I like to have the stuff on, yeah it is not perfect, but you can get it off if does not look good in a few years. Three years in harsh conditions and it still looked good on my former Monaco Blue e92 328xi. I just hate rock chips and sandblasting.

You are in a way keeping it nice for a future owner, that should translate to a little more value and if you do keep it you will be glad you have it. Just make sure you talk to informed installers that have a range of product, incidentally all made by 3M.

Xpel is a private label reseller that markets it's wares through dealers that license their software and templates they create for every car they have product for. So you get perfect fit (if the installer is good). Of course you can buy the cut outs from their site and DIY. It is very difficult to do it right the first time...
      05-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
NordicBob
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 Sapphire Black metallic

Thanks ddas

So far the Ventureshild is holding up well, but does show a some scratches made at our brushless car wash as well as bird droppings stains under the bright fluorescent light in our garage. I am not sure how much longer that I will keep it. In retrospect, I should have gone for just the front portion of the hood to be covered. Unfortunately black is a difficult color for clear bra IMO as it shows scratches and stains that our 8 year old silver metallic Infiniti does not. I went for the clear bra due to 2 of my previous cars being riddled by stone chips during freeway repaving and trucks dropping pebbles.
      05-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #38
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Thanks ddas

So far the Ventureshild is holding up well, but does show a some scratches made at our brushless car wash as well as bird droppings stains under the bright fluorescent light in our garage. I am not sure how much longer that I will keep it. In retrospect, I should have gone for just the front portion of the hood to be covered. Unfortunately black is a difficult color for clear bra IMO as it shows scratches and stains that our 8 year old silver metallic Infiniti does not. I went for the clear bra due to 2 of my previous cars being riddled by stone chips during freeway repaving and trucks dropping pebbles.
+1, I was initially a big fan of doing a full front clear bra, but given price and the fact you cannot correct anything like marring, scratches, stains, and difficulty to apply on black paint (plasticky sheen to it). I decided against it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #39
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I feel compelled to update my opinion on Venture VS xpel or even Suntek. Xpel has made some amazing advances in their adhesive and as of this moment, it's my favorite. Suntek runs a real close 2nd. Suntek offers an amazing price for the quality and xpel is pretty much the best, imo, right now.

Venture's adhesive has really suffered over time. It used to be the best but no longer is.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #40
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LRP M3 E92, MR M3 E93

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile View Post
As an installer I can tell you that is a really bad job. I would have HIM remove the clear bra so if there is any damage underneath he is responsible and can not deny it. I can tell by looking he free hand cut on there which is also why it took so long... and you wil be very lucky if he did not cut the paint up in the process. This is why most installers go out of business... poor skills will kill a business really quickly. You need to get your money back and take it to a reputable installer. Where are you located at? Surely there is someone close by that can do better work that that.
^ this. that is such a poor job done to your lovely vehicle that the tech should be ashamed to leave it with you as complete in that condition. installer clearly doesnt have the skills. not sure where you are located, but my guy only does high end vehicles. he is meticulous and you would not even know the film is on there. lmk if you need a ref.

with regards to film, i have to say Xpel is the best imo humble opinion. Xpel has made great advances in their films. Ventureshield is a good product too but to me comes in second. Xpel has been on 2 of my vehicles... no deterioration, no yellowing, continued shine when maintained with Plexus. A great product and probably a more pricey film but worth it.

DANG... just noticed thread is ancient hist
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #41
HK8888
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [10.00]
Looks bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #42
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Yo.... in all seriousness, that may be the worst wrap job I've ever seen. Hope you get this sorted out asap
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #43
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

Quote:
Thanks ddas

I used to install Ventureshield but stopped due to bugs etching it here in Texas. Suntek and Xpel Ultimate are both self healing.... so bugs do not damage the film and scratches heal themselves when the vehicle is parked in the sun. Ventureshield used to be a good film... but just like with everything else technology advances and new products come out. I prefer Suntek over Xpel mainly for the adhesive and I find Xpel tears easily... but both are excellent films and you would not be having the problems you do had you gone with one of those two films.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #44
MiscExpense
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez

+1 for really bad job, I might go so far as to say this is the worst one I have ever seen. I did a venture shield on my full car (front, back, top and bottom) before a cross country track trip. I loved mine and have seen a lot of installs from VIP AutoSpa even guys who brought them cheap product they made it look like a million. I also would take the car back ASAP and ask him to remove and repair any cuts. just my .02

Appreciate 0