BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-12-2023, 01:29 PM   #1
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

Ford Mustang Mach-E - A surprisingly good drive!

Hi all!

I got to drive my in-laws’ new Mustang Mach-E over Christmas. I came away pretty impressed, especially with the dynamic tuning and driving fun the Mach-E allows. No, it's no M3, but it's much more fun than the segment otherwise demands. (As always, I wrote a ton of words on the Mach-E, but I’ll spare you here.)

The drive got me thinking though. Because Ford marketing boldly (stupidly?) put the Mustang name on this all-electric crossover, the engineering and design teams really had to go above and beyond to make good on the name. And I think they did! The Mach-E does not look or drive like a normal EV or compact SUV. Its body has lots of muscular creases and curves, and the drivetrain and ESP tuning give it a rear-driven tail-wagging flavor than is expected from of a family mobility appliance. (And this was even true of the low-powered AWD version I drove.)

Have any of you driven the Mach-E? Did you like it, too?

It seems like it would be a nice pairing with the M3, as it is more reliable and more practical but still has a sense of humor. It would be a strong contender for me if I was replacing my family’s current work horse (a Tesla Model 3).

Best!
Mike

Oh, and I found the perfect charging location, too!

01-14-2023, 01:21 PM   #2
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

I guess none of you have driven the Mach-E? I'm honestly interested in your takes on the SUV EV.
      01-14-2023, 01:27 PM   #3
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

It’s good, but way too expensive, which is a huge drawback.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 05:43 PM   #4
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Electric drive is amazing for enthusiasts. Mach E isn't an especially good-driving EV IMO. Making a car feel rear-drive when it's rear-weight-biased is pretty simple tuning wise, especially on low-grip tires. Model Y is a better drive, and that's not a high bar, I'm not a fan of the Y. The GV60 and EV6 are both a ton better to drive than Y and Mach E.

I think they swung and missed
      01-18-2023, 10:45 PM   #5
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Electric drive is amazing for enthusiasts. Mach E isn't an especially good-driving EV IMO. Making a car feel rear-drive when it's rear-weight-biased is pretty simple tuning wise, especially on low-grip tires. Model Y is a better drive, and that's not a high bar, I'm not a fan of the Y. The GV60 and EV6 are both a ton better to drive than Y and Mach E.

I think they swung and missed
In my mind the Model Y drives more like a car, with quick steering and quick reflexes, but the non-Performance models don't allow any shenanigans. That is what I loved about the Mach-E; it was playful even in base trims.
      01-23-2023, 02:07 PM   #6
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Yeah that's an area where Tesla has let us all down for sure. free the track modes!