BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Can I get some constructive criticism?

Was just bumped up to intermediate at ICAR (Mirabel, Quebec) so this is my first run ever here without any slow traffic. The whole track was driven on in 3rd gear (some 4th). The settings (tires/m mode) are in the video description. So is the time points for the beginning of each lap. I realize I overshot some corners, but still learning braking points at speed.

If you can refer to time, rather than turn #, that would be appreciated. Any tips welcome. I am still a beginner.

Thanks

P.S. I pwned a bug at 8:00.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Use more track-out coming onto the front straight

Stop missing apexes

It's impossible to critique really, can't see what you're doing in the car, can barely hear the engine, and mdm is probably masking any attitude changes the car may be exhibiting
      05-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Use more track-out coming onto the front straight

Stop missing apexes

It's impossible to critique really, can't see what you're doing in the car, can barely hear the engine, and mdm is probably masking any attitude changes the car may be exhibiting
that's what i'm looking for. thank you
and just a clarification - the apex at 1:00 is supposed to be missed to go tight into the 2nd corner after. but that's the only one to be missed

thanks again

i dont feel confident removing MDM just yet, even though I have had practice controlling slides and drifting, but still. i will soon so that will help me as i'll see where i'm losing traction
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I understand. The idea for driving quickly is to catch the slide just before it happens, not after. MDM essentially does that for you. Catching big lurid oversteer moments is fun but it doesn't teach you anything.

The other thing I'd recommend/mention is that this car has enough power to buy exit speed so don't be afraid to brake early to get your line right rather than brake too hard, too late, and have to wait forever out there 4' outside the apex to get back on the gas. It seemed like you weren't in the throttle until well past the apex in several corners and I bet you'd have good luck with thinking about slower in, faster out.

Next time point the camera at your hands and feet with enough view out the windscreen and you'll have lots of good feedback from all the armchair QB's
      05-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I understand. The idea for driving quickly is to catch the slide just before it happens, not after. MDM essentially does that for you. Catching big lurid oversteer moments is fun but it doesn't teach you anything.

The other thing I'd recommend/mention is that this car has enough power to buy exit speed so don't be afraid to brake early to get your line right rather than brake too hard, too late, and have to wait forever out there 4' outside the apex to get back on the gas. It seemed like you weren't in the throttle until well past the apex in several corners and I bet you'd have good luck with thinking about slower in, faster out.

Next time point the camera at your hands and feet with enough view out the windscreen and you'll have lots of good feedback from all the armchair QB's
i'll do that (slower in faster out + camera angle) for one of my runs next week if I get a chance to go. thanks for the pointers
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

I'm not qualified much to comment on your video.

I might help with camera location though. Yesterday, someone told me that you can use a suction cup to mount the camera to the windshield right around rear view mirror. If your camera has wide enough lens, and if you adjust it properly, you can get both the steering wheel and the road in the picture. I use a sound recording device with an external mic. I keep the recorder in the trunk, and tape the mic to the rear bumper. There is still some wind noise, but the exhaust note is pretty strong (and sounds awesome). This way reviewers can say if you're on throttle, WOT etc. I also have another camera that I put on the streeing column, I use that to record speed, gear, rpm etc. So that I can see if I'm consistent, or to see if I was carrying more speed if I took a different line..
      05-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I'm not qualified much to comment on your video.

I might help with camera location though. Yesterday, someone told me that you can use a suction cup to mount the camera to the windshield right around rear view mirror. If your camera has wide enough lens, and if you adjust it properly, you can get both the steering wheel and the road in the picture. I use a sound recording device with an external mic. I keep the recorder in the trunk, and tape the mic to the rear bumper. There is still some wind noise, but the exhaust note is pretty strong (and sounds awesome). This way reviewers can say if you're on throttle, WOT etc. I also have another camera that I put on the streeing column, I use that to record speed, gear, rpm etc. So that I can see if I'm consistent, or to see if I was carrying more speed if I took a different line..
not bad - thank you! My next setup will be rear right windshield with passenger headrest off. this way I can watch my movements as well as the road. after that, I will be experimenting with different views. 2 cameras is way too baller for me atm
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
not bad - thank you! My next setup will be rear right windshield with passenger headrest off. this way I can watch my movements as well as the road. after that, I will be experimenting with different views. 2 cameras is way too baller for me atm
When I was autox'ing, I was putting the camera to exterior side of the rear side window. You can see the road and your hands. But, you can only see the left side of the road.
      05-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
When I was autox'ing, I was putting the camera to exterior side of the rear side window. You can see the road and your hands. But, you can only see the left side of the road.
i'm thinking inside! that's why I would take the headrest out

and u'd see the whole road
Appreciate 0