BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

12-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
js2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW m3

Custom exhaust install plz HELP!!

this is the elite exhaust system i bought from another forum member "imballin2day"
i have taken this exhaust to 3 shops and they all said that this exhaust 'possibly' can be installed but they just do not know exactly how.
he sold me this exhaust insisted that Tightie had the same exhaust and had it cut at the same place and it should have no problem fitting the car.

to all the enthusiasts on this forum, please tell me what this exhaust needs to be installed correctly! thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by js2000; 12-06-2009 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

This is one more reason why I'll never buy anything 'custom' , but let's address your problem. The mufflers can only go one way, which is the high bracket points to the outside of the car, meaning your first pic has the mufflers properly oriented. All the hanger brackets seem to be there, but that they line up properly remains to be seen. And the real challenge comes where to cut the stock mid-pipes to weld the 'custom' ones.

I'm not an exhaust expert, but if I were you, I'd remove the entire stock system, and line it up on the floor next to the new one to make sure it'll fit, and also to determine exactly where to cut it. And I'd also get it welded on the floor so the car is not touched. Hope you got it for cheap man. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

how much did you pay for that?? man i hope you didn't get screwed by him, i almost bought some wheels from him.

i will show this to the tech who works on my car and see what he says. he is a really good fab guy and has made some sick custom stuff before so if it can work i am sure he will be able to tell me how. i will let you know what i find out

do you know if the guy you bought it from ever had it on his car?? if it don't work i hope you can get your money back
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'd say not install it at all. Looks like you will have to cut your OE pipes for a poorly designed system... not worth the time and money at all...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

+1 after looking at it again and showing it to my friend he said the same. i am sure my tech will agree when i show it to him

to the op i would see if you can get a refund

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
I'd say not install it at all. Looks like you will have to cut your OE pipes for a poorly designed system... not worth the time and money at all...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
js2000
Private
Rep

thanks for all the feedback. i really appreciate you guys' help. I am just preying that I am able to reach him at this point.

He informed me last week that the way this exhaust system was cut is according to how 'Tightie' (another member) cut his exhaust system (same setup).

my exhaust tech made a mistake of telling the seller that this exhaust was 'possible' to be put on.....yet, he did not tell him that this would make this installation into a giant project.

i sincerely hope that i can get refund for it, its quite costly too.

Last edited by js2000; 12-06-2009 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

This exhaust does fit. Ive seen it and hear it in person on both imballin2day's (golan) car and on tightie's. The exhaust shop that makes it is one of the best in socal. They have done many M3's. It should fit. It probably needs a little modification though to work since it is custom. A good exhaust shop should be able to handle it.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
js2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
This exhaust does fit. Ive seen it and hear it in person on both imballin2day's (golan) car and on tightie's. The exhaust shop that makes it is one of the best in socal. They have done many M3's. It should fit. It probably needs a little modification though to work since it is custom. A good exhaust shop should be able to handle it.
from what I was told from other exhaust shops, this custom exhaust fits when its newly made and bolted directly onto the car. now that its cut with the muffler pipes at different angles, and the xpipe appears to be requiring welding (and cutting my OEM system) this made the installation of this second hand exhaust tremendously difficult. i do not blame 'imballin2day' for not anticipating such event. he seems to be a honest and straight up kind of guy. I hope he would do the right thing and send me a refund.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
leeor
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III

Man, all u clowns sound retarded. I have the elite, all u do is cut b4 the 2ndary cat (to remove) and unbolt the muffler box to seperate the oem exhaust, from the cats and resenators (which come off together) weld on the x pipe and the axle back and adjust.

Ill try to get my car on a lift to take pics, but its real simple and u might say mine looks poor or what not, but I can care less.. It sounds great if not the best (quoted by the people) and adds HP not like half of the $5000+ systems out there.

K that's all
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
+2. IMO that looks like shit. How much did you pay for that? Once again, this is my opinion; so to the fanboys, don't come and attack me because I don't care for this exhaust.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
js2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeor View Post
Man, all u clowns sound retarded. I have the elite, all u do is cut b4 the 2ndary cat (to remove) and unbolt the muffler box to seperate the oem exhaust, from the cats and resenators (which come off together) weld on the x pipe and the axle back and adjust.

Ill try to get my car on a lift to take pics, but its real simple and u might say mine looks poor or what not, but I can care less.. It sounds great if not the best (quoted by the people) and adds HP not like half of the $5000+ systems out there.

K that's all
thanks for your input. having to cut the OEM system to install a custom exhaust system isnt what some of us are willing to do (no mentioning of such in the sale). not to mention the type of custom sleeve that needs to be done to mount the 'different-length muffler pipes' back to the x-pipe is by itself a challenge.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #12
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

dude you should hve just bought mine!!!!

solid welds, 2.5 all the way through and 200cell cats+Eiesnmann RACE rear section.

PM me if interested. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311533

that is not a nice welded custom J.O.B.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW

Last edited by Eugene-TAIWAN; 12-06-2009 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
You just got owned. Terrible looking exhaust system.. lol. You should only hope for a refund..

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
js2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
You just got owned. Terrible looking exhaust system.. lol. You should only hope for a refund..
From Seller Imballin2day:
"after speaking with people with the exhaust and further research, I do not see how a refund is in order. Many people have this exhaust and many people have put threads up regarding it. Every thread says cutting of your stock system and welding is required. This may not be a $4k or $5k system but for what it is it is amazing. I have spoken to people who bought this exhaust used and all of them fit on the car properly. The system does fit. Please pm me back if you feel at trouble. Thanks"

Just by looking at the exhaust system, is asking for a refund too much on my part?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Dct Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by js2000 View Post
From Seller Imballin2day:

Just by looking at the exhaust system, is asking for a refund too much on my part?
You cant justify a refund by the way the system looks. You bought this exhaust for $1000 SHIPPED. Shipping and supplies cost me $300 alone. Were you expecting a $5000 system? I did not even want to ship this system due to its weight and size but it seemed like you really wanted it so I made an exception. There are many members here with an Elite system and many of them are happy. I don't see how you can judge something from its appearance. I stated in my thread what I was selling and that is what you received. I do not see why a refund is required because you do not like how it looks. Your excuse that it does not fit is a poor excuse. Many members have bought this system used and it fit fine. I did not intend to sell something of poor quality or else I would not waste my time shipping it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #16
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imballin2day View Post
You cant justify a refund by the way the system looks. You bought this exhaust for $1000 SHIPPED. Shipping and supplies cost me $300 alone. Were you expecting a $5000 system? I did not even want to ship this system due to its weight and size but it seemed like you really wanted it so I made an exception. There are many members here with an Elite system and many of them are happy. I don't see how you can judge something from its appearance. I stated in my thread what I was selling and that is what you received. I do not see why a refund is required because you do not like how it looks. Your excuse that it does not fit is a poor excuse. Many members have bought this system used and it fit fine. I did not intend to sell something of poor quality or else I would not waste my time shipping it.
1000 shipped.. and your complaining? LOL

Give me a welder, I can do it myself with 0 experience.. You must have some wack ass shops you go to.
      12-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #17
js2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
You cant justify a refund by the way the system looks. You bought this exhaust for $1000 SHIPPED. Shipping and supplies cost me $300 alone. Were you expecting a $5000 system? There are many members here with an Elite system and many of them are happy. I don't see how you can judge something from its appearance. I stated in my thread what I was selling and that is what you received. I do not see why a refund is required because you do not like how it looks. Your excuse that it does not fit is a poor excuse. Many members have bought this system used and it fit fine. I did not intend to sell something of poor quality or else I would not waste my time shipping it.
the point is that most people by looking at the exhaust alone is enough to see its incompatibility (see above posts). Yet, I have made trips to many exhaust shops, my desperation resulted me driving even as far as to Lomotion in NYC (90 miles away) just based on the fact that there are certain superb professional that can make this impossibility work. yet, even they find this exhaust to be requiring more work done than its worth. my excuse saying that this system does not fit is not an excuse but a fact. i have even messaged you the phone number to mechanics who saw this in person and will be happy to explain this to you. i obviouly did not judge this exhaust system by its look, otherwise i would not have made such an enormous effort trying to get it installed (and you know at least one of my attempt as you spoke to one of the mechanic on the phone). like i said before, its not your fault that the exhaust was removed from your car like this. if it is that easily installed, you should have no trouble finding another buyer. since it cost you $300 to ship this, it will cost me $300 to ship it back to you, so i see no reason i should not be able to ask for my $1000 back.
you knew how much effort i have put in. if this exhaust was that simple to get installed, I would already have it installed. my intention was nothing more than just buying a simple exhaust from an honest forum member. i am asking you to please do the right thing and send me the refund.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Dct Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by js2000 View Post
the point is that most people by looking at the exhaust alone is enough to see its incompatibility (see above posts). Yet, I have made trips to many exhaust shops, my desperation resulted me driving even as far as to Lomotion in NYC (90 miles away) just based on the fact that there are certain superb professional that can make this impossibility work. yet, even they find this exhaust to be requiring more work done than its worth. my excuse saying that this system does not fit is not an excuse but a fact. i have even messaged you the phone number to mechanics who saw this in person and will be happy to explain this to you. i obviouly did not judge this exhaust system by its look, otherwise i would not have made such an enormous effort trying to get it installed (and you know at least one of my attempt as you spoke to one of the mechanic on the phone). like i said before, its not your fault that the exhaust was removed from your car like this. if it is that easily installed, you should have no trouble finding another buyer. since it cost you $300 to ship this, it will cost me $300 to ship it back to you, so i see no reason i should not be able to ask for my $1000 back.
you knew how much effort i have put in. if this exhaust was that simple to get installed, I would already have it installed. my intention was nothing more than just buying a simple exhaust from an honest forum member. i am asking you to please do the right thing and send me the refund.

thanks
I guess you need to come to Los Angeles then to install this. I had the exhaust removed where the actual exhaust system is made. I made sure he cuts it where necessary to reinstall it. Again, MANY forum members have bought this system used ( meaning it was cut like mine, and looked just like those pics) and they were able to get it installed perfectly. Lets say I was to even give you a refund. Why should I give you the full $1000 when it cost me $300 to get it to you? Sure you are shipping it back but im still out $300 if I refund you $1000. Does not make any sense at all. When I spoke to you on the phone you told me the exhaust shop was NOT able to install it. I kindly asked to speak to him. When I talked to him he said it would fit but he could not install it that day and that you had to come back. I would NEVER sell a system and waste my own time shipping it if I knew it would not fit. My advice to you is to find a shop and have them actually ATTEMPT to install it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #19
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Did the seller let the buyer know that the exhaust will be cut (for shipping) and needed to be rewelded?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #20
js2000
Private
Rep

" FS: Elite Exhaust System
I am selling my full Elite Exhaust System. This is a catback exhaust with both cats and resonators deleted. It throws no codes or malfunctions.

Tightie had the same setup on his car and claimed a 7hp increase. I definetly felt the throttle being more responsive.

This is a loud exhaust system, so if your not into that or like something a little more loud than stock this is NOT the system for you.

The exhaust system is still on the car and I highly encourage you to come hear it if you are in Socal. I get a compliment every day. Here is an example of a thread that was asked about it:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...er+bmw+exhaust

I am asking $900 obo for this system. I am selling it only because I have several tickets I have to pay for. It hurts me to sell it but I have no other choice. Below is some pictures and links to video clips of the exhaust I took a few days ago. Please PM me if interested. Thanks"

this is your Exhaust Sales thread. where did you mentioned "I stated in my thread what I was selling that is what you received"? or is that again something 'implied' such as 'cutting is required' that all buyer should have already knew? (btw, this exhaust only have the secondary cat delete and not 'both cat delete' like you advertised).
the simple fact is i am unable to find a reputable exhaust shop that can install this. find me a shop in NJ (07052) that can install this correctly (i got turned down way too many times) or send me the refund. i really do not see how this is unfair. if you believe this exhaust is a simple bolt-on type of install, take it back and you should have no problem re-sell it.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #21
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Did this guy tell you the system was hacked in half with a sawzall before you bought it? Did you see any pictures? Either way, I wouldn't put that piece of sh*t on my car.
I guess it doesnt matter now because I doubt you'll ever get your money back.
Lesson learned: If you want to drive a $70k car, stop f*cking around with used exhaust systems.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #22
js2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
I guess you need to come to Los Angeles then to install this. I had the exhaust removed where the actual exhaust system is made. I made sure he cuts it where necessary to reinstall it. Again, MANY forum members have bought this system used ( meaning it was cut like mine, and looked just like those pics) and they were able to get it installed perfectly. Lets say I was to even give you a refund. Why should I give you the full $1000 when it cost me $300 to get it to you? Sure you are shipping it back but im still out $300 if I refund you $1000. Does not make any sense at all. When I spoke to you on the phone you told me the exhaust shop was NOT able to install it. I kindly asked to speak to him. When I talked to him he said it would fit but he could not install it that day and that you had to come back. I would NEVER sell a system and waste my own time shipping it if I knew it would not fit. My advice to you is to find a shop and have them actually ATTEMPT to install it.
i have given you the number to that same mechanic who said that this exhaust can be installed and now, a full week later, after inspecting it, he is happy to discuss with you on how this exhaust will require way too much modification to work and he in fact will not touch it. feel free to call.
this exhaust system inherently requires way above normal level of modification done necessary for its installation. none of which was ever disclosed to me. along with the fact that your Ad state that this exhaust has both cat deleted which turned out not to be the case, I believe $1000 refund is quite fair. since it cost you $300 to ship this, it shall cost me the same to send it back to you.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread