BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Barber track report with video

I went to Barber last weekend with Rezoom Motorsports and it was my first trip to Barber as well as my first DE in this particular M3. Mods are PFC 01s, cheapo valvoline fluid (couldn't get anything in time), Bimmerworld SS lines, Ti backing plates, AA exhaust. Stock PS2's were on the car and I had a student with me during the vid. Rezoom is a great group to run with, they give you a ton of track time and are a good group of guys. I plan to join them again at the June VIR event.

The track is very technical and doesn't have any significant straightaway to speak of. Whereas at VIR you can kind of gather your thoughts and prepare for the next section of corners during the large straight, you feel like you are constantly turning at Barber. There are several corners that are tricky and take balls to go fast in; turn 1 can be taken deceivingly fast. The grounds are immaculate, it reminded me of a golf course that happened to have a race track on it. I feel like our cars are better suited to bigger tracks like VIR, especially if you are on skinny stock PS2's, but the M3 still did well on Barber.

I was really dissapointed in the stock pads on the last E92 M3 I drove at VIR, they absolutely ruined my track weekend. The PFC's cured me. It didn't have brakes like my old E36, but for what it is it braked pretty well honestly. I love the stock EDC suspension for its versatility, comfort is great on the bad roads here and sport is fun on the track. This was my first DE at Barber and the M3 was easy to learn it in. The car felt very planted in all of the medium to high speed stuff, but a bit hefty in the hairpins. To sum up the handling, I feel that the car is phenominal in sweeping corners but kind of mediocre in really tight stuff. I ran MDM because I had never been to barber and had to get home in the car. It annoyed me at times, especially coming out of the hairpin, but the safety outweighed the annoyance and slight speed decrease for me.

I had Lyonel Kent (grand-am driver for Bimmerworld last season) drive my car half a session and ride with me for half, and he loved the car. He raced the E92 M3 racecar last season but had never driven a stock E92 on track before, and was really impressed with its abilities. He was an awesome coach and a really nice guy, I highly recommend him if you are in the Southeast and want a pro to help you shave off some time. Unfortunately the gopro died right before his session, but he ran high 1:40's with me in the car without too much effort. I think my best was around 1:53, but I didn't get all of my laps timed. Needless to say, the PS2's perished in our quest for fun and speed.

Anyway, long post short, the M3 met my high expectations and I loved Barber.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: car

Great track. Might get down there in the next month or two.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Love to get on this track. Nice line in the chicane near the end, way to cut it out
      04-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Thanks for sharing. I will be instructing for TrackDaze at their Jun 9/10 event at VIR. Look me up.

You may wish to try the BFG Gforce R1 compounds. I run 275/35/18 sq set up on Apex wheels and find them perfect for my car and driving style. No problem with fit etc.

See ya at VIR.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Porschefile
Major
Rep

I definitely want an r comp in the near future, but may get either NT01's for the extra life or conti slicks for the price. I ran Conti take offs on my racecar and they performed really well, especially for the price. Before I can do any of that I need a set of 18's though. I'm planning on doing the June 1 Rezoom event, I had a blast with those guys and have ran with them before. I really want to get down to the 2:12 or so at VIR I ran in my racecar, I think it's doable with r comps.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE][I really want to get down to the 2:12 or so at VIR I ran in my racecar, I think it's doable with r comps./QUOTE]

That will be a real good time in the E92. Doubt you will see it without some mod. I run in the 2:19 range and I am pushing relatively hard, but not full out.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Porschefile
Major
Rep

I've done 2:17 on street tires in a stock E92 M3 that was someone else's car and not pushing it as hard as mine. (not trying to e-brag, I know pros can do sub 2:10's on street tires). I think r comps and pushing it more can get me 4 seconds. I just think it would feel cool to get to clock a lap as fast as I did in my non-streetable GTS car in the full interior M3 ha.

Last edited by Porschefile; 04-24-2012 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Nice driving! Looks like a very fun track.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Yes, it's a really fun track. Couple of small points, you are consistently early at both Turn 1 as well as the esses at turn 10 and 11. The last two in particular if you are going at good speed, i.e. close to the limit, you'll go off (there's plenty of run off) at turn 11 with your current approach.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Thanks for the feedback all. I see what you're saying Victor, like I said it was my first track day at Barber, but I felt like T1 was a bit early after watching the video. I went 2 wheels off in the earlier esses (8-9 I guess) once, but there is plenty of room and I let it just drift out and come back on.

Do you have a vid of the proper T1/10/11 line perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Take a look at this. It's Hurley Haywood in a Cayman. Also, listen to where he's applying power and where he's at constant throttle. You did very well for your first time. Next time you'll have huge fun as you'll carry the learning from the first trip.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
Modena NYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Nice vid and interesting thoughts.

Two weeks back i rented a spec miata at Lime Rock because i didn't want to track the E90 m3 i have...and while I was disappointed at the speed (knew that going in) i was very thankful at the end of the day that i didn't thrash my street car. My E90 felt like a boat in comparison. I've tracked E30/36/46 chassis cars in the past and while i always liked driving my street car fast on the track...its gotten to a point where i prefer to just pay $800 for a spec rental that is proper, even if i do get passed by all the GTR's and vettes in the advanced group on the straights.

Sound like you are an instructor and have a race car already...why the motivation to thrash around on stock tires etc in your street whip? I'm curious. (maybe i'm missing something)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena NYC View Post
Nice vid and interesting thoughts.

Two weeks back i rented a spec miata at Lime Rock because i didn't want to track the E90 m3 i have...and while I was disappointed at the speed (knew that going in) i was very thankful at the end of the day that i didn't thrash my street car. My E90 felt like a boat in comparison. I've tracked E30/36/46 chassis cars in the past and while i always liked driving my street car fast on the track...its gotten to a point where i prefer to just pay $800 for a spec rental that is proper, even if i do get passed by all the GTR's and vettes in the advanced group on the straights.

Sound like you are an instructor and have a race car already...why the motivation to thrash around on stock tires etc in your street whip? I'm curious. (maybe i'm missing something)

Thanks
Fair question. I sold my racecar because I had a good bit of money in it and didn't use it enough to justify keeping it sitting around for a few events a year. I have a less expensive street car to DD if I want anyway, so it doesn't matter if the M3 is out of commission due to race brakes or dead tires or worse, so long as the M3 isn't smashed up and in need of really expensive repairs.

I have driven a lot of street cars on track and the only ones I was really satisfied with were the new GT-R and the E92 M3. The GT-R is a bit out of my budget, especially to operate since its brakes are 4x the cost and so on. Plus I like the comfort and DD-capability of the M.

Compared to my old e36 M3 racecar the E92 M3 is less awesome in the corners but still fun, and it is a beast on the straights. Once I put R comps on the E92 it should be faster or as fast around VIR as my racecar was, and I can drive it home Win win.

Thanks Victor for the video, very helpful to see his line, I'm a Brumos fan.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Interesting track set up with the cones. Suspect it is very helpful for the novice and intermediate students at a school, but probably not to welcome at a HPDE event. A general comment about turn ins, while not always the truth, at most tracks late turn ins are the order of the day. Your danger of running out of track is limited by late turn ins, and will normally provide for a quicker way out of the turn. At VIR, most all turns are taken better with late turn ins. Just a thought.
vz

Last edited by von_zoom; 04-25-2012 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How worn were the PS2s before the weekend? Curious to see why they wore out so quickly. I'm about to go to VIR on the same Conti 5Ps and they look almost brand new after doing a weekend there. I know the PS2 is a softer compound but I did 50 laps on the Nurburgring plus 2 AutoX before they started leaking air.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oh and I have not watched your Barber video yet because my iPad is tethered to my cellphone but I watched your VIR videos and they helped me with learning the track. Gotta love YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #17
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
How worn were the PS2s before the weekend? Curious to see why they wore out so quickly. I'm about to go to VIR on the same Conti 5Ps and they look almost brand new after doing a weekend there. I know the PS2 is a softer compound but I did 50 laps on the Nurburgring plus 2 AutoX before they started leaking air.
The rears actually didn't wear too awfully bad, they didn't have more than 3-5k miles street life left and are now at wear bars. The fronts were almost new and melted. The middle channels kind of melted together. I'd say they went from nearly new to 2-3k ish life left. PS2's just aren't meant for the track, I'll get something more suitable soon. Leaning toward an R6 class tire on a seperate set of wheels.

Glad the vids at VIR helped, that was a couple of years ago and I can hopefully cut some more time off, but that E92 M3 was the one that got me wishing for one of my own.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Porschefile,

I guess you and I are in the same boat. I too ended up getting rid of my CCA IS race car and ended up getting an STi. While it was a lot of fun and plenty fast (faster than my E36 IS car), and not terribly bad on the consumables (it had suspension, exhaust mods), the head gaskets would blow. I ended up getting an E90 M3. Like yours, mine is stock except for pads, Motul 600 and RA1s on 10 inch wheels I found our cars to be heavy, delicate at turn in and above all HARD on consumables. At the PCA event recently, sure I was able to run with 996 GT3s in the Instructors group, I went through a set of front pads in 5 sessions. Sure its close to faster JP cars for laptimes but its really rough on the brakes. Anyways, intend to head to the Glen next weekend and will see how it does.

What were you running for times at Barber with your setup?

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #19
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Porschefile,

I guess you and I are in the same boat. I too ended up getting rid of my CCA IS race car and ended up getting an STi. While it was a lot of fun and plenty fast (faster than my E36 IS car), and not terribly bad on the consumables (it had suspension, exhaust mods), the head gaskets would blow. I ended up getting an E90 M3. Like yours, mine is stock except for pads, Motul 600 and RA1s on 10 inch wheels I found our cars to be heavy, delicate at turn in and above all HARD on consumables. At the PCA event recently, sure I was able to run with 996 GT3s in the Instructors group, I went through a set of front pads in 5 sessions. Sure its close to faster JP cars for laptimes but its really rough on the brakes. Anyways, intend to head to the Glen next weekend and will see how it does.

What were you running for times at Barber with your setup?

Lutfy
I actually found the PFC's to last fairly well, I'd say I wore 10-15% in 6 sessions. I didn't get many timed laps, the fastest my friend timed me at was 1:54 or so, my best guess is somewhere in the low 1:50's at barber. Not blazing quick or anything. I'll be much more excited about VIR times, the E92 does great there. My plan is to score some r comps before the June VIR event and leave the rest of the car alone. My racecar was set up for GTS2 or 3 depending on ballast/restrictors, kind of in between IP and JP.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
Modena NYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
I actually found the PFC's to last fairly well, I'd say I wore 10-15% in 6 sessions. I didn't get many timed laps, the fastest my friend timed me at was 1:54 or so, my best guess is somewhere in the low 1:50's at barber. Not blazing quick or anything. I'll be much more excited about VIR times, the E92 does great there. My plan is to score some r comps before the June VIR event and leave the rest of the car alone. My racecar was set up for GTS2 or 3 depending on ballast/restrictors, kind of in between IP and JP.
I am in the same boat as you guys...which is why i asked the question originally. While i never owned a race car, i have been tracking regularly for about 10 years in all the Exx chassis cars, some stock, some more track modified. I've been tempted to throw my current E90 on the track, but my friends who have done it also complained about consumable use. (brakes) and they even have upgraded brakes (1 had fr only stoppies and the other a full $8k system) While they don't have fade issues now, they still rip through pads. I guess its not that big a deal if you don't track that much...but if you are doing 10 events or so a year it adds up. That said, its cheaper than having a track car laying around...

For me, i don't get out there as much as I'd like to...the compromise I've found is to just rent the race car for the DE days. (but i only do a few a year now) Yes the cars aren't as fast, spec e30's and miatas in the advanced group are like pylons for the GTRs and slew of vettes, but you can catch the stunner boxsters/caymans/E36's etc that aren't maxxing out sleeping if you stay in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #21
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I find it most satisfying to beat the hell out of my M3 in street trim (with the exception of the race pads). I don't mind paying for the consumables at all and based on the last outing at VIR, it's not really going to be an issue. My pads are good, my tires are good, flushed the brake fluids just in case and I'm ready for another weekend at VIR next week! I love how I drive to and from the track with EDC on comfort and with one push of the M button, I am in my track setting.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
With the R comps your straight line speeds would be quite intense. At Road ATL, I was around 150MPH+ before 10A (vs 127 or so in my I Stock E36). It was also 4 full seconds a lap faster with a passenger (according to data 1:39 vs 1:43 in my I Stock according to mylaps.com). Similarly I was stunned to read 1:24.4 at Summit Point in the E90 with R comps, camber pins removed and PF01s. My I Stock only ran a best of high 1:28s 29s with new tires.

So the car is plenty fast and worth it as a dual duty car.

At 10, the rotors were GLOWING red according to some of the spectators. I think the braking system (while big) does not feed enough air hence the issues. There is 0 ducting from the factory to the rotors.

Tire wear is marginal compared to the size/speed and laptimes for this car however I am not impressed with the brakes. I ended up buying 5 sets for the fronts and 2 for the rears when Apex had a sale for half off on PF01s.

On the streets, the car is AWESOME. On the track, while its very fast, I am not terribly impressed. with the brakes. Once you start braking 9/10ths, it gives up the ghost. You gotta be around 8/10s to make it last.

But then my E90 is equipped with every single option from the factory (heavy sound system, sunroof etc.) and weighed 3820 with a tank of gas, floor mats, etc (without human).

Performance wise, I would say its neck to neck with a Carrera S. However, C2S is much easy on the consumables, but then its not big enough for the family either Compromises.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0