BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

12-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
brave1heart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Track Review: Monticello Motor Club

I put together a write-up on Monticello here: http://www.onehotlap.com/2011/12/one...llo-motor.html. Hope you enjoy it. If you have some feedback on the track, please send it along. Rumors are, they may allow clubs back on it next year.

"Monticello is a highly technical track and it offers every turn imaginable: increasing radius, decreasing radius, high speed sweepers, a mostly blind high-speed left turn, a carousel, a hairpin, a double-apex turn that tortured even the most advanced drivers, a classic 90, a magic mushroom (don’t ask, just go on with your trip!), a tight switchback that only autocrossers have seen before, and a long straight comparable in top speed to Watkins Glen’s back straight"

Last edited by brave1heart; 12-14-2011 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Thanks for sharing. Fantastic looking layout, and a test to enjoy.
Wish I could drive it.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
I was looking at getting up there sometime this spring. Either in the E46 or. Flying up and doing the V school they offer.

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave1heart View Post
I put together a write-up on Monticello here: http://www.onehotlap.com/2011/12/one...llo-motor.html. Hope you enjoy it. If you have some feedback on the track, please send it along. Rumors are, they may allow clubs back on it next year.

"Monticello is a highly technical track and it offers every turn imaginable: increasing radius, decreasing radius, high speed sweepers, a mostly blind high-speed left turn, a carousel, a hairpin, a double-apex turn that tortured even the most advanced drivers, a classic 90, a magic mushroom (don’t ask, just go on with your trip!), a tight switchback that only autocrossers have seen before, and a long straight comparable in top speed to Watkins Glen’s back straight"
is that the track where michael cooper beat the crap out of the ctsv caddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

My first ever HPDE was at Monticello a year and a half ago with NASA/PDA. I was a newbie, and I was in my then-current E60 M5, but it was a blast. Very high speed and many interesting aspects to the track. I wish I could go back now that I have the M3 and more experience! I do wonder, though, how these types of tracks stay alive with only private memberships in this economy. I've heard fantastic things about Spring Mountain in Nevada and all the amenities it has to offer, and you could perhaps justify its membership fees based on all those extras, but Monticello was nowhere near as developed when I saw it last year...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
brave1heart
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
is that the track where michael cooper beat the crap out of the ctsv caddy?
This story? http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/14/c...gets-pat-on-t/ I wasn't familiar with it but looks like you're on to something.
      12-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
brave1heart
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
My first ever HPDE was at Monticello a year and a half ago with NASA/PDA. I was a newbie, and I was in my then-current E60 M5, but it was a blast. Very high speed and many interesting aspects to the track. I wish I could go back now that I have the M3 and more experience! I do wonder, though, how these types of tracks stay alive with only private memberships in this economy. I've heard fantastic things about Spring Mountain in Nevada and all the amenities it has to offer, and you could perhaps justify its membership fees based on all those extras, but Monticello was nowhere near as developed when I saw it last year...
Their target market is individuals with net worth of 20 mil or more. I know that for a fact. It would be hard for anyone else to afford the initiation fee (50-200k I think) and then the monthly fees in addition to that. Since they are relatively close to Manhattan, they have a ton of prospective members. Problem is, they didn't hit their membership targets - if I heard that tight, they were looking for ~ 500 members and only got less than half of that. So the challenge for existing members is that their membership has almost no liquidity: because the club still accepts members, existing members cannot just sell their membership to anyone else. This is the the reason why the Club did not finish all its plan to build out more facilities on the track (spas for the wives, etc.) so it is somewhat limited compared to a full-blown golf country club for example. But most importantly, the track is fully finished and it is spectacular!
      12-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave1heart View Post
Their target market is individuals with net worth of 20 mil or more. I know that for a fact. It would be hard for anyone else to afford the initiation fee (50-200k I think) and then the monthly fees in addition to that. Since they are relatively close to Manhattan, they have a ton of prospective members. Problem is, they didn't hit their membership targets - if I heard that tight, they were looking for ~ 500 members and only got less than half of that. So the challenge for existing members is that their membership has almost no liquidity: because the club still accepts members, existing members cannot just sell their membership to anyone else. This is the the reason why the Club did not finish all its plan to build out more facilities on the track (spas for the wives, etc.) so it is somewhat limited compared to a full-blown golf country club for example. But most importantly, the track is fully finished and it is spectacular!
Do they allow non-members on track? May be a silly question...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Do they allow non-members on track? May be a silly question...
Word is that they closed it to outside, non-member "riff-raff" (most of us) last year when then-current members complained that exclusivity was being lost. I think now you either have to be a member, be an approved guest of a member, or get a special invite to gain access.
Appreciate 0