BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
12'M3Freak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Brake Pad Question

I want to get new pads that are low dust and better. I see cool carbon pads but what do you guys recommend? Why does the wire have to be replaced when putting these pads in?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12'M3Freak View Post
I want to get new pads that are low dust and better. I see cool carbon pads but what do you guys recommend? Why does the wire have to be replaced when putting these pads in?
Most pads come with replacement "wires" that are specific to the pads. Not all attache the same way. The wire will break when your pads wear out and your car will let you know it's time for new brakes. Not needed, but a nice to have. Mine break every GD time I change my brakes for a track day

I used Akebono (sp?) on my 335i and they were definately low brake dust, but they didn't bite as well. Proper pads depend on a lot of variables. Perhaps you could provide some details, such as budget, type of driving (track, cruising, hard street, race), and if you any other desires other than "low dust and better"
      01-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12'M3Freak View Post
Stoptech Street Performance and Porterfield R4S are two other excellent alternatives.

You can sometimes save the brake wear sensor, but not always as they become brittle and break or have been triggered(must be replaced).
Appreciate 0