BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

09-13-2013, 05:37 AM   #23
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Awesome review. The car looks and sounds amazing. I plan on getting the same setup once i get my hands on an E90 M3.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 05:37 AM   #24
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

Thanks for the very detailed review Mandeep.

It's been a pleasure working with you and it just had to be your car that gave the issues we had!

So I will talk more about the issues:

The dropping down of two gears at the same time in S mode (or manual mode) has nothing to do with the torque management in either the gearbox or engine software. It is actually related to the very very fine calibration on the fuel maps which in turn yes do have a direct effect on the engine torque map and how much throttle opening to allow.
Due to the fact that all of our cars are driven on long drives we are always going through improvements which are related to the very fine details. As soon as I find a way to improve something I email it to all of my customers.
This issue will be fixed when I do your next update and considering your car is outside right now I will do it with the DCT upgrade also.

The unfortunate problem of the cold start limp mode is as you know still a mysterious one. It all disappeared after we removed and refitted the plenum.
My only thoughts are that the person who installed it caught the boost pipe a little and because this is tapped into one of the hoses for the idle control valve had an effect.
What you will notice also which backs up this theory is that your blow off valves aren't so aggressive and late in opening when shutting the throttles at red line.
We got there in the end though!

The fuel economy is extremely good on the kit and again this is to do with the fine tuning on the fuel maps.
This part is not difficult to do at all but very time consuming.
The minimum mileage I do in our M3 every time I drive it is 100 mile round trip. The laptop is always open as you have seen in my car and the live data is always there. What I do is to just monitor lambda for both banks while driving.
I do have the fuel map now that the overall setup is extremely efficient off boost (when the blow off valves are wide open). We constantly run 1 lambda off boost with hardly any correction from the DME now. That is how fine tuned the fuel map is.
The cut off point from one supercharger kit to another of when the blow valves open and close is all unique to each kit as we all use a different number of blow off valves and completely different designs.
Once you know at which throttle opening/load the blow off begin to close with respect to all rpm ranges upto around 6000rpm you can make the engines more efficient. Not a difficult task this one but just one that takes some thought and time.
Would be so much easier if emulators were available to the after market industry!

As always, we are always here for you to assist you in any problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #25
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Can you elaborate on how you are dropping 2 gears? Are you doing this manually very quickly or are you driving in "D" mode and hitting the kick-down button with the accelerator pedal as you hold the left DCT shift paddle down? Doing the ladder to drop multiple gears has been speculated to be very bad on the DCT transmission when running a supercharger. As a rule, you should simple drive in "S" mode when driving aggressively. Maybe you already knew this but I wanted to make sure so that you don't have a DCT issue later.

Thanks for the write up and enjoy the new power.
Well said. Mandeep is talking about S mode to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #26
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Mandeep... your MPG cannot be 27.

On 60 litres you would need to achieve 355 miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #27
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

And another butt dyno comparison........ Just screwing with you great review. I hate reading these threads as it makes me want to get a supercharger even more.
      09-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #28
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Nice review. Enjoy in good health!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
M-powerMode
Private
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
M - you may want to post these pictures and video up in the original post.

This M looks sick ! Nice work
What were the results of the Dyno run ?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #30
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

I love the Evolve front mount!!! looks so sik!!!
      09-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #31
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Nice review. Enjoy in good health!
Your telling me, I want this kit badly
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #32
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
glad to hear it mate!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #33
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Soon to be M4

Quick update as two more weeks of daily driving and a long drive up to B'Ham and back at the weekend. Car just feels great... The more time i spend with the car the more i appreciate how OEM it really feels, until you want it to be a complete beast.

MPG is definitely better. Ignoring the reading of 27.1MPG on the trip computer (average over the last 6 weeks) i can confirm that im getting more simply based on the fact i still put in £60 on a Monday and now im lasting the full week whereas previously on a Thursday morning i would be refilling without a doubt. And im doing the exact same commute as i have been doing for the last 5 years! a doubt. I even managed B'Ham and back in £60 at the weekend and that was with a fully loaded car in terms of 4 passengers and luggage.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #34
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Maybe you are driving more gently now. Although tuners often lean out a tune for a naturally aspirated car, they richen the tune for forced inductions. Also, as you know, horsepower is made by exploding fuel and air. To make more horsepower, you have to explode more fuel. If you are using your newly added horsepower from the supercharger kit, you are consuming more fuel.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #35
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Maybe you are driving more gently now. Although tuners often lean out a tune for a naturally aspirated car, they richen the tune for forced inductions. Also, as you know, horsepower is made by exploding fuel and air. To make more horsepower, you have to explode more fuel. If you are using your newly added horsepower from the supercharger kit, you are consuming more fuel.
Totally agree with the sciene you mention above but fact is im getting more MPG than before and my driving style hasnt changed. I dont drive hard all the time as i commute but its same journey, same frequency, same driving style and im getting more mileage before needing to fill up same as before... Means better MPG!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #36
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Under partial load on a supercharged car, it is essentially running NA. The boost is almost fully bled off by the fully opened BOV's. Ideal lambda is 1.00 and the cars drive great like this.

Under heavier and full load we need an AFR close to 12-12.2 which is what we achieve.

People still think the fuel tables on the S65 are some kind of single tuning knob. Change the fuel in one place, it changes everywhere. Not the case at all. We can change the AFR/fuel injection individually from idle to full throttle at the limiter and everything in between.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #37
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Can you elaborate on how you are dropping 2 gears? Are you doing this manually very quickly or are you driving in "D" mode and hitting the kick-down button with the accelerator pedal as you hold the left DCT shift paddle down? Doing the ladder to drop multiple gears has been speculated to be very bad on the DCT transmission when running a supercharger. As a rule, you should simple drive in "S" mode when driving aggressively. Maybe you already knew this but I wanted to make sure so that you don't have a DCT issue later.

Thanks for the write up and enjoy the new power.
Manually only. Didnt even realise you could hold the left paddle down and nail it to drop gears! Oops
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #38
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16RCE View Post
Quick update as two more weeks of daily driving and a long drive up to B'Ham and back at the weekend. Car just feels great... The more time i spend with the car the more i appreciate how OEM it really feels, until you want it to be a complete beast.

MPG is definitely better. Ignoring the reading of 27.1MPG on the trip computer (average over the last 6 weeks) i can confirm that im getting more simply based on the fact i still put in £60 on a Monday and now im lasting the full week whereas previously on a Thursday morning i would be refilling without a doubt. And im doing the exact same commute as i have been doing for the last 5 years! a doubt. I even managed B'Ham and back in £60 at the weekend and that was with a fully loaded car in terms of 4 passengers and luggage.
Thanks for the update M. Enjoy the dry weather whilst is lasts!

Look forward to seeing you and the car this Saturday on our open day.
Appreciate 0