BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

11-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #45
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
true, but I'm thinking that Nissan has not started a recall campaign because ~2 confirmed US failures does not warrant one

Now, if the trannies were failing when people were driving to the shopping mall, there probably would be a recall.
Time will tell.

Another problem that I have with Nissan is that disabling VDC basically voids, or greatly creates the risk thereof, the warranty. As we know LC can only be used if VDC is off, so why even offer it. Let me guess as to create excellent acceleration times better that its competitors. Offering a method of acheiving excellent 0-60 times, then saying, but don't you use it, is crap.

My discontentment is with Nissan. I do realize that you own one of these cars. I sincerely hope that it is trouble free and that these issues are of a very small minority which, in the end, do not adversely affect how your car is received.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #46
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
The truth is:
There have only been approx ONLY 2 vehicles in the US with documented cases of Tranny failures and this was after numerous launches with only <2000 miles on the clock!
It just so happens that those guys are DEEPly connected to the Internet and Forums so the word spread FAST.

It's kinda like when someone posts an issue on a forum about a car they just bought and having bad results, giving bad reviews. (335 fuel pump, E46 bearrings, C63 "engine check lights", etc). The "haters" of that car will "fuel" the fire!

Luckily, not everyone on the forum believes what they read!
Huh? It's more than "two". And there are more that haven't abused LC at all. Have you even gone to nagtroc?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #47
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Years ago I had a Hummer H1. While driving down the highway to Moab the transfer case burnt up. Seems that for some reason the drain plug fell off.
Mine was the first one that did that. AMG researched it, and recalled quite a few Hummer H1's to have a different drain plug installed.

Obviously, a drain plug is a lot different than a transmission. But if AMG hadn't acted as quickly as they did, I wonder how many transfer cases they would have replaced.

Then again, there may not be a simple "fix" to Nissan's problem, short of disabling launch control altogether.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #48
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
The truth is:
There have only been approx ONLY 2 vehicles in the US with documented cases of Tranny failures and this was after numerous launches with only <2000 miles on the clock!
It just so happens that those guys are DEEPly connected to the Internet and Forums so the word spread FAST.

It's kinda like when someone posts an issue on a forum about a car they just bought and having bad results, giving bad reviews. (335 fuel pump, E46 bearrings, C63 "engine check lights", etc). The "haters" of that car will "fuel" the fire!

Luckily, not everyone on the forum believes what they read!
1. "Approximately" or "ONLY" or both in the same description? There are more than 2 reported failures at NAGTROC that is for sure and not all of them were abused.

2. As others have pointed out including a feature required to get performance results (and heavily marketed as well, directly by Nissan) and then completely voiding a warranty upon a single use of the feature is simply despicable and inexcusable. If the LC causes the transmission failures and Nissan does not step up and take responsibility a class action lawsuit will happen, I'd bet on it.

3. As much as the internet can spread fuel on a fire I'm not convinced this is happening here. The internet also functions well as the great equalizer and exposer of truth.

4. You own a GT-R yourself and seem to take the role of its defender here. This does not make you biased but this along with your mistake in #1 above does not present a strong case for you being unbiased in this matter.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #49
ismelllikepoop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
1. "Approximately" or "ONLY" or both in the same description? There are more than 2 reported failures at NAGTROC that is for sure and not all of them were abused.

2. As others have pointed out including a feature required to get performance results (and heavily marketed as well, directly by Nissan) and then completely voiding a warranty upon a single use of the feature is simply despicable and inexcusable. If the LC causes the transmission failures and Nissan does not step up and take responsibility a class action lawsuit will happen, I'd bet on it.

3. As much as the internet can spread fuel on a fire I'm not convinced this is happening here. The internet also functions well as the great equalizer and exposer of truth.

4. You own a GT-R yourself and seem to take the role of its defender here. This does not make you biased but this along with your mistake in #1 above does not present a strong case for you being unbiased in this matter.
i gotta say i dont agree with that part of the statement, and its pretty rare for anyone on here to defend the gtr considering how many posts are on what a despicable job nissan is doing handling this situation. either way i'd say you have to give them time to get it sorted out before you jump the gun. like i said before bmw had a major issue and they eventually got it resolved, but it did take them some time before they even acknowledged it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #50
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop View Post
i gotta say i dont agree with that part of the statement, and its pretty rare for anyone on here to defend the gtr considering how many posts are on what a despicable job nissan is doing handling this situation. either way i'd say you have to give them time to get it sorted out before you jump the gun. like i said before bmw had a major issue and they eventually got it resolved, but it did take them some time before they even acknowledged it.
If by "on here" you mean on m3post.com I disagree strongly. There are many folks here who very much like/appreciate/admire/have or are considering ownership of the GT-R. I certainly agree that only time will tell, no different than the BMW E46 M3 engine situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #51
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

One NAGTROC forum member just posted that he paid $2,300 to have his 1,800 mile GT-R in for a tranny, oil, diff and brake fluid flush after some track use. The manual is so vague in this respect it basically states that these changes are required.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #52
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
One NAGTROC forum member just posted that he paid $2,300 to have his 1,800 mile GT-R in for a tranny, oil, diff and brake fluid flush after some track use. The manual is so vague in this respect it basically states that these changes are required.
+1, and a replacement of a $16-20k transmission every time the clutch has to be changed is absolutely ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #53
th3Stig
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT500 Eleanor

You all need to shut up with your rants. I have a GT-R and my brother has a GT-R. I have 1689 miles, he has 389 miles. I've driven the SHIT out of mine and not one error except for a TPS light.

And back in 2003, I had an E46 M3 before the rod bearing recall... and it THREW A ROD!!! One of maybe 3 that did? (someone will check this I know) If you haven't had the cars and haven't experienced the problems firsthand I don't understand why everyone thinks that their opinions matter. You don't see me ranting on and on about how a few GT-Rs failed. How many M3s were built before my 2003 and mine still BLEW THE F*CK UP!

Back to driving my GT-R.... I sure hope the tranny doesn't fail GOLLY GEE!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #54
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3Stig View Post
You all need to shut up with your rants. I have a GT-R and my brother has a GT-R. I have 1689 miles, he has 389 miles. I've driven the SHIT out of mine and not one error except for a TPS light.

And back in 2003, I had an E46 M3 before the rod bearing recall... and it THREW A ROD!!! One of maybe 3 that did? (someone will check this I know) If you haven't had the cars and haven't experienced the problems firsthand I don't understand why everyone thinks that their opinions matter. You don't see me ranting on and on about how a few GT-Rs failed. How many M3s were built before my 2003 and mine still BLEW THE F*CK UP!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma
      11-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #55
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

• There are no "rants" here except those of an obviously insecure GT-R owner.
  • Wow, 1700 and 400 miles respectively, what experience...
  • There were actually hundreds of E46 M3 engine failures. BMW made right, period and Nissan can do the same here as well. No one it disputing this. However, at this point in time, based on anecdotes and hard evidence things don't look positive.
  • How do you have to own a car for your opinion to matter? Heck, I'd way rather listen to anyone but you about anything GT-R related.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 03:22 AM   #56
th3Stig
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT500 Eleanor

more like around one hundred S54 M3 engine failures. only ~13 actually threw a rod. and you're right I have little experience with the GT-R, it's a new car and I've worked hard enough to enjoy more than one car.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 06:07 AM   #57
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #58
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You had better hope that Nissan isn't viewing this forum, because if they see that you're driving the "shit" out of your car, they'll certainly void your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #59
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin13 View Post
I respect the GT-R and considered purchasing one. IMHO, Nissan has done a horrible job selling this car in North America. I can't believe you risk warranty coverage if you turn off stability control. And I'm not talking doing a bunch of launches, I'd be pissed about being required to have the handling nanny on all the time. On the subject of launches, all those sub 3.5 second 0-60 mag reports should have had a disclaimer "to achieve these times we had to disable stability/traction control which could impact warranty coverage".
The only way this car handles as well as it does on the track is with all the electronic nannies. This has been noted by almost every single reviewer. It is a common theme that this car practically drives itself. Otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree with your post.
      11-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #60
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
more like around one hundred S54 M3 engine failures. only ~13 actually threw a rod. and you're right I have little experience with the GT-R, it's a new car and I've worked hard enough to enjoy more than one car.

You my friend need a little experience with statistics. How many E46 M3s shipped to show up with significant engine failures.

We all know the GTR ships in limited quantities and the failure rate of trannies is high.

Are you using the sample set of 2 (you and your brother) to extropolate that there are no issues??
      11-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #61
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:

You need to take your own advice I think. Keep driving the SHIT out of yours and see whether your tranny fails. 1700 and 400 miles, those cars are still brand new.

Well, you haven't had the problem with your car, so according to what you said, I guess your opinion doesn't matter either.
Appreciate 0