BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
Nition
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW/FR E93 M3

Stoptech Street Pads Review

So I see that a few of you have asked for a review of these pads and I'll go ahead and give it a go. I've had these pads for about 3,000 miles. I have done a full day on the track with these and plenty of abuse. These pads were installed along with Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines and Ate Super Gold.

My verdict is that these do not provide the fade resistance required for a full day at the track. I did a total of 6 20-minute sessions on the track (Thunderhill) with about 20-30 minutes in between each session. They held up well in the first 3 sessions but were fading after that. The 6th session was just brutal. They were fading so badly that I decided to pit early to let them rest. I am not a seasoned track driver. Hence, I think these will not take the abuse of a good driver. However, these provide excellent stopping power and are perfect for aggressive street driving.

On the street, these make no noise at all. The braking feels much more natural (if this makes sense at all) than the stock setup. It seems to be fairly gentle on the rotors as well, but only time will tell. All in all, I think it's definitely worth the money. The description is pretty accurate. It's great for the street and >>LIGHT<< track use.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Is Thunderhill tough on brakes?

I'm wondering because I go to Texas World Speedway and there is really only 2 or 3 places where you really hammer the brakes. None of the heavy braking zones are close to each other.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

I just got my st trophies so I'm not speaking with specific experience - but driving style has a big part of it as well. if you drag out your breaking period instead of braking hard and just getting it done you'll manage the heat much better. I ran one lap of america on stock calipers and did just fine and was very competitive.

bottom line - brake less, go faster
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
yyoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nition View Post
So I see that a few of you have asked for a review of these pads and I'll go ahead and give it a go. I've had these pads for about 3,000 miles. I have done a full day on the track with these and plenty of abuse. These pads were installed along with Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines and Ate Super Gold.

My verdict is that these do not provide the fade resistance required for a full day at the track. I did a total of 6 20-minute sessions on the track (Thunderhill) with about 20-30 minutes in between each session. They held up well in the first 3 sessions but were fading after that. The 6th session was just brutal. They were fading so badly that I decided to pit early to let them rest. I am not a seasoned track driver. Hence, I think these will not take the abuse of a good driver. However, these provide excellent stopping power and are perfect for aggressive street driving.

On the street, these make no noise at all. The braking feels much more natural (if this makes sense at all) than the stock setup. It seems to be fairly gentle on the rotors as well, but only time will tell. All in all, I think it's definitely worth the money. The description is pretty accurate. It's great for the street and >>LIGHT<< track use.
Did you have a soft pedal? Perhaps you were boiling your brake fluid.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
yyoo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Is Thunderhill tough on brakes?

I'm wondering because I go to Texas World Speedway and there is really only 2 or 3 places where you really hammer the brakes. None of the heavy braking zones are close to each other.
It's medium for brakes. 2 hard and 2 medium-hard braking zones.

Added: The 2 hard ones are back-to-back.

Last edited by yyoo; 02-09-2012 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
I just got my st trophies so I'm not speaking with specific experience - but driving style has a big part of it as well. if you drag out your breaking period instead of braking hard and just getting it done you'll manage the heat much better. I ran one lap of america on stock calipers and did just fine and was very competitive.

makes a big difference (and requires bigger balls).

Also, don't step on the brakes at 10/10 right after coming off the gas. Quickly (but gently) do 6/10 - 8/10 and then 10/10. This way you give sometime for car to shift the weight to front and settle. This will give better stability and also enables harder braking.
      02-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

I can overheat any setup if I want
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Slapshot9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JzB 6MT

I believe that Hawk HP Plus pads provide the best combination of street and track. I have not used StopTech, but have used many pads including track only (Hawk Blues and PFC 01) and find these very close (80%) to a track pad that can offer great street stoppage. They are noisy, which I kind of like.
Appreciate 1
2bits18.00
      02-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
yyoo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Of course, the faster you go the more you'll have to brake.

I think most beginners tend to be both slow and not brake hard enough. Granted, once they learn that they can stomp on the brakes without the car exploding they can overdo it in the other direction.

Getting off topic, but this reminds me of something I read in a book.

There are three, make that four, stages to a driver's development:

0. Fast in, slow out...or slow in, slow out
1. Slow in, fast out
2. Fast in, fast out
3. Fast in, fast mid-corner, fast out

Many good drivers never make it to step #3.

Last edited by yyoo; 02-09-2012 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Edited with step 0
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyoo View Post
Of course, the faster you go the more you'll have to brake.

I think most beginners tend to be both slow and not brake hard enough. Granted, once they learn that they can stomp on the brakes without the car exploding they can overdo it in the other direction.

Getting off topic, but this reminds me of something I read in a book.

There are three, make that four, stages to a driver's development:

0. Fast in, slow out...or slow in, slow out
1. Slow in, fast out
2. Fast in, fast out
3. Fast in, fast mid-corner, fast out

Many good drivers never make it to step #3.
This works with the ladies too...
      02-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #11
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Quote:

This is a very fair review The stock rotors tend to have higher operating temperatures on the track and would likely exceed the operating temperature of the Street Performance pads. On the other hand, BBK rotors tend to stay cooler, so the SP pads can remain consistent over a longer period of time on the track.
      02-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #12
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
This is a very fair review The stock rotors tend to have higher operating temperatures on the track and would likely exceed the operating temperature of the Street Performance pads. On the other hand, BBK rotors tend to stay cooler, so the SP pads can remain consistent over a longer period of time on the track.
This makes sense, Richard. I was wondering why my experience has been different from that of the OP regarding StopTech Street Performance pads in a track setting. It's most likely because the OP is using the pads in the setting of the OEM brakes while I'm using them with a StopTech BBK. I've experienced good performance with these pads, even on 90-degree summer days on tracks where a 25-min session sees 15+ laps with 135-->50mph braking zones. I haven't noticed a great deal of fade. A set of front pads seems to be good for about 4-5 HPDE events.

That being said, I am looking for a more aggressive, track-focused pad for this coming track season--Hawk HP Plus, Pagid RS29?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

The Stoptech street pads are a great street pad but in IMO are only a light duty track pad.I have used them twice on track and yes they did work OK at the expense of a lot of pad wear and good pedal feel as they felt "squshy" at max braking.I run a 380/355 BBK and have found that that I can run the Pagid race pads on the street with no ill effects except for a little bit of squeel and grabiness when cold.The Pagids also seem to be quite rotor friendly even when they are used cold on the street.

Last edited by Gearhead999s; 02-10-2012 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
I've experienced good performance with these pads, even on 90-degree summer days on tracks where a 25-min session sees 15+ laps with 135-->50mph braking zones. I haven't noticed a great deal of fade. A set of front pads seems to be good for about 4-5 HPDE events.
I think you won't have an issue in this single scenario. The question is...what is the next turn like? Is it a short straight where you go from 90 to 40 mph? Then that's where these pads will likely fall off.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Also, don't step on the brakes at 10/10 right after coming off the gas. Quickly (but gently) do 6/10 - 8/10 and then 10/10. This way you give sometime for car to shift the weight to front and settle. This will give better stability and also enables harder braking.
Yeah, I've had instructors before tell me the best way to manage this is to repeat "Hard, Harder, Hardest" (no smartass comments needed from LiM3y ) to yourself going into every braking zone as a good way to remember this.

I didn't notice at first the OP was reporting on usage with stock rotors. Knowing that, the experience doesn't surprise me at all. Once you get "fast", I doubt there is any street/track pad that will be aggressive enough to avoid fade with stock rotors. It does seem like there are plenty though that find this pad works with the Stoptech BBK, likely for the reason mentioned above. I just bought the ST-40 for my R32, and plan to try this pad before switching to a track-only pad. Hopefully my experience will mirror the M3 owners running this pad with ST-40s.
      02-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
Nition
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyoo View Post
Did you have a soft pedal? Perhaps you were boiling your brake fluid.
No, I don't think it was the fluid. It didn't feel mushy at all.
Appreciate 1
dzm319.00
      02-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #17
Nition
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

This is one of the things I learnt in one of my earlier sessions. I brake very hard and I try to spend as little time braking as possible. You're probably a much better driver than I am. Hence, you probably know how to manage the brake fade better than I do. Also, the short breaks in between sessions didn't allow for the brakes to cool off enough I think. For the 3rd session and all sessions after that, I started with brakes that were still hot.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
Nition
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
makes a big difference (and requires bigger balls).

This also probably added to the excessive brake fade. I tend to stab the brakes hard right after getting off the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #19
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
This is one of the things I learnt in one of my earlier sessions. I brake very hard and I try to spend as little time braking as possible. You're probably a much better driver than I am. Hence, you probably know how to manage the brake fade better than I do. Also, the short breaks in between sessions didn't allow for the brakes to cool off enough I think. For the 3rd session and all sessions after that, I started with brakes that were still hot.
I'd say get brake ducts. One of the best things you can do.

I think it is embarrassing that M3 doesn't come with brake ducts. My MINI Cooper comes with them from the factory.
      02-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Are these the Street Pads or the Street Sport pads?
Stoptech said they've had racers use their Streeet Sport pads without issues, other than they wear faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot9 View Post
I believe that Hawk HP Plus pads provide the best combination of street and track. I have not used StopTech, but have used many pads including track only (Hawk Blues and PFC 01) and find these very close (80%) to a track pad that can offer great street stoppage. They are noisy, which I kind of like.
HP+ is a decent track pad, but pretty dusty and a little loud for street use.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #21
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
That being said, I am looking for a more aggressive, track-focused pad for this coming track season--Hawk HP Plus, Pagid RS29?
RS29 is a great choice because it offers med-high bite (coefficient of friction 0.49 max) up to 1,100 deg. F and is easy on rotors. Also known for its low wear rate.

If you want something more aggressive, I now carry Project Mu's Club Racer compound (coefficient of friction 0.55 max) with a recommendation from my friends at Brass Monkey Racing. They used to run DTC-70 on their race car, but switched to Project Mu because PMu pads are much easier on the rotors while providing virtually zero fade performance up to 1,400 deg. F.
      02-11-2012, 04:48 AM   #22
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

RS29s are awesome pads. I used them last track season with my AP set up. Great performance and were surprisingly street friendly too. Little on the pricey side, but well worth it.