BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)
Closed Thread

08-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #45
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
Not really, at least where I'm from and where OP is at (the dealer OP stated is about 15 minutes from my local dealer).

I know the facts and numbers because I had an engine replacement to a whole new one by the dealer(thank god covered by insurance), once they order the engine build time in Germany BMW factory takes about 2~4 weeks and about 8 weeks to successfully ship to East coast. Price is $25,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman Murch View Post
It's beyond checksums... BMW is able to do a bit wise image check based on the current level of integration... I was told they will upload the data back to Germany and runs forensics analysis on the current ECU file. It all depends on the damage vs cost etc. BMW lost a lot of money on the bad batch of hpfp and injectors and need to recoup that money somehow. Another thing is when they did my buy back I had to prove by receipt/bank log that I was using shell/chevron fuel.
Did you guys have a bearing related engine failure?

Good luck OP. Please let us know if you're engine failure is due to spun bearings?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #46
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
It's also worth noting that the OP's vehicle was a lemon/buyback vehicle, with a long history of engine problems since 5,000 miles. The service history on this car shows issues with misfiring, multiple limp modes, multiple oxygen sensor replacements, etc.. It's a very long list. The amount of service visits for engine related problems is likely why the car was repurchased from the original owner. The records also show that the car is not eligible to be certified in the future.

The tune will not induce knock and is as safe to run as the factory calibration. In certain scenarios it may be safer due to extended protection when the vehicle is cold, and the reduced RPM limit when temperatures get hot. We've tested the living daylight out of it, in extreme conditions exceeding 300F oil temperatures.

It's unfortunate this happened to the OP a few days after loading the tune. It was a matter of time, whether stock or tuned. Hundreds of motors have failed on OEM software. Obviously no one believes the OEM software caused those failures; it makes no more sense to assume ours caused this one. These cars clearly have bearing clearance issues, and this is definitely not the first nor the last S65 we are going to see meet it's demise. I think as these cars age that we are going to see more and more of these problems. Best wishes to the OP in having this covered. If we can be of any assistance, please feel free to reach out to us.
If the car is in fact an old lemon but back it just looks very shady the OP wrote that the tuner shouldn't be mentioned. Who cares?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #47
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

Quote:
It's also worth noting that the OP's vehicle was a lemon/buyback vehicle, with a long history of engine problems since 5,000 miles. The service history on this car shows issues with misfiring, multiple limp modes, multiple oxygen sensor replacements, etc.. It's a very long list. The amount of service visits for engine related problems is likely why the car was repurchased from the original owner. The records also show that the car is not eligible to be certified in the future.

The tune will not induce knock and is as safe to run as the factory calibration. In certain scenarios it may be safer due to extended protection when the vehicle is cold, and the reduced RPM limit when temperatures get hot. We've tested the living daylight out of it, in extreme conditions exceeding 300F oil temperatures.

It's unfortunate this happened to the OP a few days after loading the tune. It was a matter of time, whether stock or tuned. Hundreds of motors have failed on OEM software. Obviously no one believes the OEM software caused those failures; it makes no more sense to assume ours caused this one. These cars clearly have bearing clearance issues, and this is definitely not the first nor the last S65 we are going to see meet it's demise. I think as these cars age that we are going to see more and more of these problems. Best wishes to the OP in having this covered. If we can be of any assistance, please feel free to reach out to us.
Did I miss where he said it was a lemon buy back? How do you know this?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #48
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

I wonder if the op was told exactly what was written here. "Hey it's a matter of time before this thing blows up, but do you still want a tune"
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #49
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
If the car is in fact an old lemon but back it just looks very shady the OP wrote that the tuner shouldn't be mentioned. Who cares?
+1 I don't think anyone thought to blame the tune until all the unnecessary obfuscation. Now it looks like guilt!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #50
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola 32/65 View Post
Did I miss where he said it was a lemon buy back? How do you know this?
The OP didn't mention this or the cars history of engine issues.
Under the vehicle comments in the BMW database it states "BRANDED TITLE REACQUIRED VEHICLE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ENROLLMENT IN CPO PROGRAM"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
I wonder if the op was told exactly what was written here. "Hey it's a matter of time before this thing blows up, but do you still want a tune"
We would have elected not to tune the car if we saw the cars prior history. It's not standard procedure for us to check service/vehicle history when someone orders a tune through our website.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #51
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
We would have elected not to tune the car if we saw the cars prior history.
Really? Why not?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #52
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy
Quote:
We would have elected not to tune the car if we saw the cars prior history.
Really? Why not?
For the same reasons BMW wouldn't warranty the car: to avoid being associated with a car that likely had significant pre-existing issues.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #53
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

OP, you indicated that you were going to get an update from you SA on Friday. Did you get that update? Any word on the cause of the engine failure?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #54
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

I'm not an expert but my subjective review says that it sounds like this:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #55
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

bazinga
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #56
Sinful
Banned
Rep
Drives: Its black and has 4 wheels

This is getting like the Z06 and valve train failure...scary...
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread