BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

sounds stupid but how do you use jack stands properly

I am wondering how you are supposed to jack a car up (using adapters in the rectangular jack point) and then place the jack stand. Are you guys using the jack stand or jack in a location other than the jacking point? I know this sounds stupid but I dont want to risk jacking the car up on at point with insufficient reinforcement.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

I have always wondered the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
I am wondering how you are supposed to jack a car up (using adapters in the rectangular jack point) and then place the jack stand. Are you guys using the jack stand or jack in a location other than the jacking point? I know this sounds stupid but I dont want to risk jacking the car up on at point with insufficient reinforcement.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Regular jackstands with the Y shaped top don't really fit the stock jacking point. You can use them anyway there. You can also put them at other load bearing points, like frame rails, subframes, suspension mounting points, etc. If you are totally unfamiliar with working on cars, it might be safest to find someone with experience to crawl under the car with you and show you the various points.

With the more expensive flat top jack stands, you can use jack adapters for the stock jacking points. And also find frame rails and subframes to use, though the flat top jack stands are not as good for some irregular shaped suspension mounting points.

If you have done much jacking, you have probably noticed how rigid these cars are. Jack one point and the entire side of the car lifts pretty evenly. Still, when using jackstands, I like to have two floor jacks. The car is more likely to slip off just one jackstand than off a floor jack.

Have fun, stay safe and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
If you have done much jacking, you have probably noticed how rigid these cars are. Jack one point and the entire side of the car lifts pretty evenly. Still, when using jackstands, I like to have two floor jacks. The car is more likely to slip off just one jackstand than off a floor jack.

Have fun, stay safe and good luck.
^This. Just jack up the rear to put a jack stand in the front and vice versa.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Below is the link I previously posted about this. You should first use the center jackpoint in the front of the car to place one or both of the front jack stands, then jack the rear (using adequate load bearing point) to place the rear jack stands. If you place rear jackstands first you might find it difficult to fit the jack itself under the car in the front. If you don't have the Torin T43004 type jackstand and you have regular stands then you can use hockey pucks, or in my case I just used 2"x4" boards overlying the plastic BMW jack points, which have held up great but take some balancing when lowering the car down onto them.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693099

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK OPS View Post
Below is the link I previously posted about this. You should first use the center jackpoint in the front of the car to place one or both of the front jack stands, then jack the rear (using adequate load bearing point) to place the rear jack stands. If you place rear jackstands first you might find it difficult to fit the jack itself under the car in the front. If you don't have the Torin T43004 type jackstand and you have regular stands then you can use hockey pucks, or in my case I just used 2"x4" boards overlying the plastic BMW jack points, which have held up great but take some balancing when lowering the car down onto them.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693099
This method only works if your car is high enough to get a jack to the center point.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
This method only works if your car is high enough to get a jack to the center point.
+1

Also, your jack has to be long enough to reach that center jack point. It doesn't work with the compact aluminum jacks.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
+1

Also, your jack has to be long enough to reach that center jack point. It doesn't work with the compact aluminum jacks.
One of the reasons that I recommend the AC Hydraulic jacks instead of the cheap harbor freight things.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Drive onto 2x12 planks to gain a little more clearance under the car if necessary. I have 4 that are about 2 feet long with angled cuts to add a little ramp so they are easier to drive onto.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

^^^This is what I do for the front (if not using ramps, which are obviously the easiest way to get the front off the ground.) Also bought an adapter/extender that fits the front jack point perfectly and allows me to use my cheapo HF jack to lift the front up to ~18", more than enough to get stands set up for the both sides.
      02-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
sergkoko
Comrade
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
This does not sound stupid, everytime I jack up a car that I haven't jacked up before I have a micro panic attack for a few seconds while I try to figure out where Im going to put the stands etc..

One thing though, be carefull not to brake the little square doo-dads on the factory jacking points, I screwed mine up on the 335i one time because I wasnt careful. Haven't jacked up this car yet but I hope I don't repeat my mistake again.
      02-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

I've had to put my M3 on stands at all four points once to send off my BBK for painting. What I did was purchased 4 stands and 2 jacks. One is I think your heavy duty 5,000lbs rated and the other a smaller Discount Auto type cheapy but still rated to 4,000lbs.

Anyway, couldn't get either jack under the front center jacking point so had to jack up one side of the front up by the black plastic jacking blocks just rear of the front wheel. Once up, I had clearance to ge the bigger jack under the center jack point, jacked up the front and placed the two jack stands under the plastic block jacking points.

Then the rear was much easier with jacking one side fo the rear jack point and placing a jack stand under the rear subframe, then did the othe side and now had all 4 wheels off the ground.

Getting it back down was a little more tasking. Had to center jack it up, remove one front jack stand, put the other jack on the other side so now held up by two jacks with no jack stands in the front. Removed the front center jack, then lowerd the front remaining side.

To lower the rear; jack up one rear side, remove that jack stand, lower and do the same for the opposite rear side.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Unless I'm mistaken, you can raise and lower the front and rear in two steps. Front center jack point with the adapter, and at the rear you can lift the car on the brace directly behind the differential?

Should be very easy to get jackstands on 4 suitable points with that method.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis
Unless I'm mistaken, you can raise and lower the front and rear in two steps. Front center jack point with the adapter, and at the rear you can lift the car on the brace directly behind the differential?

Should be very easy to get jackstands on 4 suitable points with that method.
You are correct, I have done this dozens of times BUT I have had 2 close calls.
The last one was bad enough to scare the shit out of my wife so she bought me a lift for Christmas.
I had the back of the car secure on 2 jack stands and while I was jacking the front up (on the center jacking point) one of the jack stands slid out and the car came down.
I use the hockey puck adapters and a thin piece of wood between the jack stand and hockey puck.
As I was jacking the front of the car up the weight shifted and one of the jack stands slid out.
I know they make jack stands with the inserts that fit right into the jack points and I'm pretty sure that would have kept the car from sliding off the jacks.
The main thing is being careful and going slow.
Once the car is on 4 jack stands it is very secure. I have had my car on 4 jack sands for a couple weeks at a time.
Hard part is getting it up an down.

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
The last one was bad enough to scare the shit out of my wife so she bought me a lift for Christmas.

Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Jack stand placement

Quote:
I've always found using the jack stands under the front suspension main connection point works well. That is a very strong area.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #17
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

If I'm jacking up one front wheel, I'll put a jack stand under that same point for safety but I always wonder if it'll bend it and screw up the joint if it bares weight. I guess not from your picture, just thought it wasn't an approved jack point.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
You are correct, I have done this dozens of times BUT I have had 2 close calls.
I had the back of the car secure on 2 jack stands and while I was jacking the front up (on the center jacking point) one of the jack stands slid out and the car came down.
I use the hockey puck adapters and a thin piece of wood between the jack stand and hockey puck.
As I was jacking the front of the car up the weight shifted and one of the jack stands slid out.
I know they make jack stands with the inserts that fit right into the jack points and I'm pretty sure that would have kept the car from sliding off the jacks.
The main thing is being careful and going slow.
Once the car is on 4 jack stands it is very secure. I have had my car on 4 jack sands for a couple weeks at a time.
Hard part is getting it up an down.
holy crap! ... this is why one day I want to get the ezcarlift..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 04:32 AM   #19
runnyeggsham
Rep
Drives: M3 Alpine E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I've always found using the jack stands under the front suspension main connection point works well. That is a very strong area.

I been reading up numerous threads on jacking up my E90. It looks like E90 and E92 have different placements.

I think I read that it is NEVER a good idea to jack up any of the suspension components???

For the 4 door sedan, from what I read:

Front: place a jack underneath the diff crossmember, which is a round circle (hockey puck) with a rectangle rubber protrusion.
-then place jack stands at the side car jacking points (I read its behind the front wheels, and in front of the rear wheels, and that they are rubber bumps that hang slightly below the sideskirt?)

Rear: Place jack behind the differential, and NOT on the differential on the E90 (labelled B in the pic).

-also heard from some who claim it's okay to place it in the crossmember (labelled A). Some claim it's weak bc of the holes but it looks pretty strong.
-last, place jack stands underneath at the jack points.

side jack points:

Sorry old thread, but many don't have good pictures and I am more of a visual guy.
Appreciate 1
MikeyDawg210.00