BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Europe (Continental)

Mporium BMW

04-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
33CV
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Windscreen repair/replacement in France

Hi, I have a pretty big rock chip and fear that I will need to get the windscreen replaced. Last time this happened I had the dealer take care of it but it was only a chip and could be fixed.

This time I probably need to replace the whole windscreen.
Not sure whether to take it to the dealer...do services like "Carglass" do a better job? I assume they have more experience than dealers in replacing windscreens, or maybe they would even be able to repair it...

Anybody have any good experiences?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33CV View Post
Hi, I have a pretty big rock chip and fear that I will need to get the windscreen replaced. Last time this happened I had the dealer take care of it but it was only a chip and could be fixed.

This time I probably need to replace the whole windscreen.
Not sure whether to take it to the dealer...do services like "Carglass" do a better job? I assume they have more experience than dealers in replacing windscreens, or maybe they would even be able to repair it...

Anybody have any good experiences?
I had Carglass fix a small chip a while back; did a good job and it is impossible to detect. I went to the one that is just off the Seine quay, near Trocadero. BMW Paris-Velizy probably can do a good job as well. All of them though will only fix it if the chip is located on certain parts of the windshield - they have a template they use to determine this.

If they won't fix it for you, you may want to get one of the kits that some companies sell online - but I'd do it quickly because moisture and temp differentials will expand the size of the hole. If possible, put a piece of tape to cover it up.
      05-06-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

I also had a significant rock chip repaired by carglass. I went to a german one first and they said that it was on the driver's side and according to their measurements it can't be repaired...they said I need a new windshield. I was pretty dissapointed and went to Luxemburg to try carglass there, they applied their machine, fixed it and it only cost me 80 euros. Definetly give them a try.
Appreciate 0