BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
cmichaelo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3, '22 Toyota Rav4

To update ECU tune or not

I've had the ESS NA tune for my E92 M3 w/ESS HFC X-pipe for a while now. It was a great combination with HP gains particularly noticeable at high RPM.

Now, I've removed the ESS X-pipe and replaced with Macht Schnell test pipes on my stock exhaust.

So essentially the change in the X-pipe is that I used to have

200cpi primary cats w/secondary cat delete

but now I have

Primary cat delete w/200cpi secondary cats

Interestingly, the car is now clearly quieter than with the ESS X-pipe. I like this actually. There is now zero rasp and it's less loud at WOT. Secondly, as for the HP changes, there is now clearly more pull in the midrange RPM. I hear the V8 so much more. (Maybe because the rasp is gone.) The car is overall easier and more pleasing to drive around town. At high RPM I'm unable to feel any differences though. If I had to guess, I might have lost some HP at the top, or maybe I'm just imagining since it's a little quieter at WOT.

Anyway, I called ESS and asked if I should upgrade their ECU tune now that I essentially have relocated the 200cpi cats from the primary position to the secondary position. But they said "No need. What you have will be just fine."

As much as I have always respected ESS and they seem extremely knowledgable about tunes, I would like to get some second opinions...

So would I benefit from a new ECU tune from say BMP, Alex, Evolve, Epic, etc?
Z4MC: KW V3 coilovers (rears)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
alfalfa
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You can waste money if you want but ESS is absolutely right here. There is no change of the tune needed.

Asking here will give you a lot opinions but you should ask yourself: which one would I trust, the guys telling you to change your tune because Alpine, Evolve, Epic is so much better but they don't even know whats in there. Or would you trust the tuner who can sell you another tune even when there is nothing else in it. But this tuner say, no its not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
cmichaelo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I hear you and I wish I could trust the initial info I got from ESS. However, I don't know this guy who replied to me from ESS. For all that I know, he may not be knowledgable. All I can do with that info is to take it as a data point, and a likely credible data point.

For one thing, I noticed that Evolve and BMP (and Alex too I think) offer separate "Stage 2" tuning options for catless (test pipe) setup.

So wondering if this is just all smoke or there really is more HP to be had from a "Stage 2" catless tune.

Last edited by cmichaelo; 09-18-2021 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 06:51 PM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Two different questions here. Is there a need to change the tune? Probably not. Engine tunes can adapt to small changes like a cat removal. So the ESS tune will run fine.

Can you gain a bit more with a specific Stage 2 tune? Maybe yes. Stage 2 tunes are a bit more aggressive since a cat delete allows for better airflow. I'm don't know how aggressive your ESS tune is, so you may or may not see much difference with a specific Stage 2 tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #5
cmichaelo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The ESS NA tune is specific to their HFC X-pipe w/200cpi cats. I got both in 2017.

Since then, it seems that ESS has abandoned their exhaust line (for e9x at least) and based on the description for the NA tune, it seems they have not updated this in a long time.

I'm getting the impression from ESS that they are totally focusing on forced induction and that they really only are supporting the old, and possibly not too lucrative, NA customer base just to keep them happy. But otherwise they have no intension of putting any more research and options into the NA tune.

So that's another reason why I'm probing on this. Sure, if I just gain 2-3HP on top from a stage 2 tune from BMP, or whatever, then it's not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichaelo View Post
The ESS NA tune is specific to their HFC X-pipe w/200cpi cats. I got both in 2017.

Since then, it seems that ESS has abandoned their exhaust line (for e9x at least) and based on the description for the NA tune, it seems they have not updated this in a long time.

I'm getting the impression from ESS that they are totally focusing on forced induction and that they really only are supporting the old, and possibly not too lucrative, NA customer base just to keep them happy. But otherwise they have no intension of putting any more research and options into the NA tune.

So that's another reason why I'm probing on this. Sure, if I just gain 2-3HP on top from a stage 2 tune from BMP, or whatever, then it's not worth it.
Most updates since have been emissions related past 231/240E, keep in mind the platform has been out of production for 8 years.

There's no gains from moving to a later OS, as the tunes perform great in current form.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1