BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

11-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

What's the point of Coilovers?

hi
i have been searching and reading and have yet to really find any good info on the pros and cons of coilovers, what they are really intended for...and if they are worth it for people that daily drive and only do a few track events a year, and are novices? I have no edc and am running on 18's

are there any systems that allow to adjust without jacking up the car, i am looking at the v3, but seems like u have to lift up the front end and turn///
are there any preset settings also, like sport, comfy, track?

and is the difference noticeable even for street use, i drive spiritedly.

thks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

City of Ontario use sand and salt during snow plow, just after a winter, coilovers will become hard to turning.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanta View Post
City of Ontario use sand and salt during snow plow, just after a winter, coilovers will become hard to turning.
ok thanks, cause of the buildup i guess...

anyways, i drove it last winter, but i am storing it this year.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

The main reason people get the coils is to lower the car.
I now have minimal body roll after getting coils, while maintaining near stock ride comfort. They also take away any "bouncing" after a dip or bump in the road.

Most will require you to raise the car for the rears, but some have adjustments on top of the struts for rebound.

The main time you have to take the wheel of is if you want to adjust the height, otherwise it's usually just a knob you turn.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

It sounds like what the OP is looking for is an aftermarket version of EDC with buttons inside the car to adjust damper settings. As far as I know, I don't think there are any available for the M3. I know Tein makes something for a lot of import cars but never heard of an E9x M3 application. Tein is popular amongst the import market but mostly known as ricer crap in the Euro market.

http://www.tein.com/products/euro.html

http://www.tein.com/products/edfc.html
      11-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Not sure if they make it for a M3, but Bilstein has Electronic ridecontrol that is marketed as - "This system allows the driver to electronically select between a comfort oriented or a significantly firmer, aggressive performance damping mode with a simple push of the dash mounted button. The integrated control
unit switches the damping settings on all four shocks/struts in fractions of a
second to deliver the handling characteristics you desire."

http://www.bilsteinus.com/PSS_bro_fnl.pdf

There's a guy with a 335 on E90 Post that has this.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
It sounds like what the OP is looking for is an aftermarket version of EDC with buttons inside the car to adjust damper settings. As far as I know, I don't think there are any available for the M3. I know Tein makes something for a lot of import cars but never heard of an E9x M3 application. Tein is popular amongst the import market but mostly known as ricer crap in the Euro market.

http://www.tein.com/products/euro.html

http://www.tein.com/products/edfc.html
yup, you got me...i am happy with the daily ride of the car right now.
but i was just wondering, if i wanted a sportier feeling would v3s deliver, and are they pointless if u dont track intensely or really often, like 3-4 events a year or so....and a novice level..

i dont mind adjusting outside the cabin, inside would be sick but not really possible,,,\thks all
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Coilovers allow you to dial in specific settings (height, rebound and compression in some cases). That adjustability allows you to really set it to your preferences rather than be stuck with the manufacturer determined height and shock settings.
Appreciate 0