BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

06-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Figure this one out....

I drive to work as normal, vent the sunroof and go inside. Starts to rain and like any other time it starts to rain i go out, stick the key in the door handle to close the roof. I for some reason turn the key the wrong way and the windows start to open. They only get down about 2 inches and i reverse the key and the windows go up and the sunroof closes as expected.

All normal so far. Til i leave work....

I get in the car and start it. Starts as normal, i hit the windows down, fold out the mirrors, and while situating my crap in the passenger seat i notice the idle kick up, then low, then back to normal. The iDrive splash screen looked a little different, but nothing really grabbed me. Then i notice that radio station was on a different station... weird, but nothing too wacky. I hit the M button and begin to pull away. I did notice that the car felt like it was revving a little faster. The first turn i came up to i hit the throttle a little bit and DSC stepped in, which really grabbed my attention. For two reasons; one, because it shouldn't be on when i push the M button. Two, because the DSC stepped in much sooner than i have experienced when i forget to turn it off.

While rolling i hit the M button a few times and realize that it's not turning off DSC as it supposed to. Then i noticed that my clock is reading in 24 hour time. So i pull over thinking WTF!?! I check the radio and all my presets are gone. I check my memory buttons and they are all blank as well. Radio equalizer is flat and all my M settings are back to default. on top of that, the passenger mirror was pointing at the ground. So i fix all the settings and get back on the road with copious amounts of throttle input. To my surprise the car feels like someone added an addition piston! It's noticeably more responsive and seems to pull much harder in all gears.

So i figure that some how the computer was reset in the same way it gets reset by disconnecting the battery. All of my anomalies would be explained by battery disconnect reset. But how did it come to be reset?

The only thing abnormal was the incident with putting the windows down while trying to close the sunroof.

Anyone have a similar experience?
      06-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

There are always bugs to be found in BMW's software, sounds like you hit upon one.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I've only had one such reset, and happened for no apparent reason. It was early on, a few days after an equally baffling full-volume speaker blast from hell. It's been a year since and no more gremlins.

Basically the same thing. Seat and mirrors all messed up, and everything from stereo buttons to iDrive settings to 'M' settings to seat memories were reset. Man, what a PITA it was to reprogram everything , so I sympathize with you . If it doesn't happen again, don't worry about it.

What I'm surprised about is your 'newfound' power. Could it be the 'power' (or power-plus) was activated without the console light? Can't be anything else with that dramatic difference. It's not like you have a turbo stashed somewhere, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

maybe his had a software flaw which made the car slower and reseting it made it back to normal. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 02:56 AM   #5
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Is it possible that you grabbed your alternate key? Settings in the car are key-dependant.
Thats my bet as well...either that or your key malfunctioned and it lost all its settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

The power is because the computer forgot your old driving habits. If you don't drive aggressively then the computer will change to a less aggressive map with less timing advance and better mileage.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post

This also happened to me shortly after getting my car last year. Parked in the garage at work and scheduled a detailing. I seperated the key from the FOB, keeping the key for myself and leaving the FOB w/the detailer. When I left work that evening I used the key to enter the car and when I started it up everything had been reset. No idea why.

Anyone know if seperating the key from the FOB for an extended period can result in settings being reset?
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      06-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
This also happened to me shortly after getting my car last year. Parked in the garage at work and scheduled a detailing. I seperated the key from the FOB, keeping the key for myself and leaving the FOB w/the detailer. When I left work that evening I used the key to enter the car and when I started it up everything had been reset. No idea why.

Anyone know if seperating the key from the FOB for an extended period can result in settings being reset?
Maybe they disconnected the battery? I doubt that separating the key from the FOB would do this.

Cheers.
      06-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

It's happened to me as well (and I was using the same key both times). Oddly enough, I've had it happen and then revert back to normal with the next start. Not a biggie, I just chalk it up to the traditional BMW electronic gremlins.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Is it possible that you grabbed your alternate key? Settings in the car are key-dependant.
No, i don't even know where my spare key is. The radio stations aren't key- specific are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
What I'm surprised about is your 'newfound' power. Could it be the 'power' (or power-plus) was activated without the console light? Can't be anything else with that dramatic difference. It's not like you have a turbo stashed somewhere, right?
See quality sound's response. As i understand the fuel mapping goes to flat and begins learning your driving habbits again. It does the same thing as your driving habbits change, but when it's a reset you'll notice the difference right away.

I also noticed that my mileage and average speed didn't reset along with all the other stuff.

I'd try to replicate the issue but i really don't want to reset everything. The nav chick scared the crap out of me because the direction volume was so loud! haha
      06-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I drive to work as normal, vent the sunroof and go inside. Starts to rain and like any other time it starts to rain i go out, stick the key in the door handle to close the roof. I for some reason turn the key the wrong way and the windows start to open. They only get down about 2 inches and i reverse the key and the windows go up and the sunroof closes as expected.

All normal so far. Til i leave work....

I get in the car and start it. Starts as normal, i hit the windows down, fold out the mirrors, and while situating my crap in the passenger seat i notice the idle kick up, then low, then back to normal. The iDrive splash screen looked a little different, but nothing really grabbed me. Then i notice that radio station was on a different station... weird, but nothing too wacky. I hit the M button and begin to pull away. I did notice that the car felt like it was revving a little faster. The first turn i came up to i hit the throttle a little bit and DSC stepped in, which really grabbed my attention. For two reasons; one, because it shouldn't be on when i push the M button. Two, because the DSC stepped in much sooner than i have experienced when i forget to turn it off.

While rolling i hit the M button a few times and realize that it's not turning off DSC as it supposed to. Then i noticed that my clock is reading in 24 hour time. So i pull over thinking WTF!?! I check the radio and all my presets are gone. I check my memory buttons and they are all blank as well. Radio equalizer is flat and all my M settings are back to default. on top of that, the passenger mirror was pointing at the ground. So i fix all the settings and get back on the road with copious amounts of throttle input. To my surprise the car feels like someone added an addition piston! It's noticeably more responsive and seems to pull much harder in all gears.

So i figure that some how the computer was reset in the same way it gets reset by disconnecting the battery. All of my anomalies would be explained by battery disconnect reset. But how did it come to be reset?

The only thing abnormal was the incident with putting the windows down while trying to close the sunroof.

More or less the same thing happened to me when I took my car to a detailer. M settings reverted to factory, my seat and mirror settings were erased, but all my radio presets continued to work, and the 6 memory buttons below the radio continued to work.

Unfortunately the extra cylinder mod did not occur for me.

Appreciate 0