BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-27-2023, 05:53 PM   #67
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
I wonder if that's something the TracTive guys are already working on...
Don't think so as that would require a) changing code within the EDC controller, or b) an interceptor/piggyback box between EDC controller and the damper. Either ways, ACE is easier and already available.
Appreciate 1
Thumbie95.50
      06-27-2023, 05:55 PM   #68
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo82 View Post
EDC malfunction on and off. Not sure if any of you have seen this. The EDC module
goes into failsafe mode and car starts to become bouncy. Turn engine off and wait a couple minutes, then message goes away and shocks are not bouncy anymore. This only started happening after installing the tractive system.

Otherwise the shocks work great.
It happened to my friend with EDC + TracTive. However it happened one day and never occurred again. Try checking your EDC connections.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      06-27-2023, 10:35 PM   #69
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
EDC malfunction on and off. Not sure if any of you have seen this. The EDC module
goes into failsafe mode and car starts to become bouncy. Turn engine off and wait a couple minutes, then message goes away and shocks are not bouncy anymore. This only started happening after installing the tractive system.

Did you get any support from TrakTive what could be the issue?
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 11:16 PM   #70
rodeo82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:

It happened to my friend with EDC + TracTive. However it happened one day and never occurred again. Try checking your EDC connections.

I have the harrop supercharger and the engine bay gets really hot, im wondering if the edc cable is also getting hot causing the system to go into failsafe. when i get the error, i usually let the car cool down a bit then wiggle the edc connections and the message goes away.
      06-27-2023, 11:17 PM   #71
rodeo82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [9.00]
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30258627

no respond from tractive
      08-17-2023, 07:25 AM   #72
Lucase83
Rep
Drives: E36

Hi Rodeo82, with whom did you have contact?

I work at Tractive, i also wonder with who you had contact as non of the guys here own a E9x M3
But i think you probably mean one of our dealers.

Such EDC errors can come from the wiring connections.
This does not happen often, at all. But it is most likely the connectors.

You can measure the DDA valve, the connector from the damper has 2 pins, if u measure those 2 it should read ~3 ohm.
Then measure from 1 pin to the body, so do this twice from each pin.
This should be infinite.

However the valve rarely ever has issues, quality control on our valve is very high.

Last edited by Lucase83; 08-17-2023 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 4
DrFerry6728.50
///Mobbin1478.00
chicagob5256.50
Davisca4552207.50
      08-17-2023, 10:46 AM   #73
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

^Pretty cool to have direct support from Tractive on the forums, thanks for dropping by!
      08-18-2023, 05:24 AM   #74
Lucase83
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
^Pretty cool to have direct support from Tractive on the forums, thanks for dropping by!

I like bimmers and forums are always interesting.
A lot of information which is also good to know to learn and grow.
I'm relatively new to the company, but if there is anything anyone wants to know just shoot me a pm and i will share my work mail address.

I've read there were some issues in the past and off course i cant fix those anymore.
But if i can help somewhere i will.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
M3MATT91.00
      09-04-2023, 01:12 AM   #75
OmairK
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 - 2011 E90 M3 6M ZCP

Great to see you on the forums! Can you tell us who your distributors are for prospective US buyers?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 06:29 AM   #76
Lucase83
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmairK View Post
Great to see you on the forums! Can you tell us who your distributors are for prospective US buyers?
For BMW we do a lot with Chris http://www.inertialaboratory.com/
Chris can also do full service on shocks.

However if you know a shop that wants to be a dealer they can contact us.
There are a couple of possible shops we are working on in the east coast.

For Porsche we have several other dealers.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 08:39 PM   #77
OmairK
Engineer
United_States
Rep

Can you list the shops on the East Coast?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 10:48 PM   #78
rodeo82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [9.00]
Hi Lucase83 i have been in contact with your dealer Chris. Not tractive directly. Good to see a tractive rep in this community. I will check based on your suggestion.

Couple of questions?

1. Is it possible the edc module is faulty? Reason being, I get no code when the edc malfunction message appears. Shutdown and restart vehicle, message dissapears. If it was a wiring issues or connector, then i would assume the error message stays even after a shutdown and restart.

2. Could a bad damper cause this malfunction? Again should't the car throw some kind of error. I see no codes.

Is it worth getting a used edc module and coding it to the vehicle to eliminate the module malfunction?

Thanks
Muthu
      09-14-2023, 02:51 AM   #79
Lucase83
Rep

Quote:
Can you list the shops on the East Coast?
Hello,

Try contacting https://theeuroshopva.com/
They are not dealers yet but have shown interest.
Perhaps this can push that interest a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 02:54 AM   #80
Lucase83
Rep

Quote:
Hi Lucase83 i have been in contact with your dealer Chris. Not tractive directly. Good to see a tractive rep in this community. I will check based on your suggestion.

Couple of questions?

1. Is it possible the edc module is faulty? Reason being, I get no code when the edc malfunction message appears. Shutdown and restart vehicle, message dissapears. If it was a wiring issues or connector, then i would assume the error message stays even after a shutdown and restart.

2. Could a bad damper cause this malfunction? Again should't the car throw some kind of error. I see no codes.

Is it worth getting a used edc module and coding it to the vehicle to eliminate the module malfunction?

Thanks
Muthu

I have heard of EDC controllers going faulty, it is not an impossible situation.

If the damper is bad it will show in the simple measure test with a multimeter.

If it is a wire/connector it could be that the fault only appears when driving as it might rattle/shake under those circumstances.
Appreciate 1
rodeo82127.50
      09-14-2023, 07:35 PM   #81
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

I've found BMW electronics to be very sensitive to cable movement. Same thing happened to my throttle pedal when I forgot to route the cable thru the clips. Just a bit of a wiggle would cause an error.

Maybe try to cable tie the EDC cables and make sure the connector cannot move.
Appreciate 3
rodeo82127.50
DrFerry6728.50
      10-30-2023, 06:44 AM   #82
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

My friend just bought a TracTive for his 335i and the control knob is available now for the GT3RS style screen. Fyi only.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 11:17 PM   #83
OmairK
Engineer
United_States
Rep

Any update from those who installed this kit? Want to pull the trigger but waiting on this EDC error to be corrected.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 03:30 AM   #84
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Any update from those who installed this kit? Want to pull the trigger but waiting on this EDC error to be corrected.
My friend who got the error said the problem went away after a couple days and never came back. He didn't do anything in particular to fix it.
Appreciate 1
Thumbie95.50
      01-24-2024, 10:42 AM   #85
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

I would love to drive your car back to back with mine. Solid aluminum subframe, purple everywhere else including on diff (LOVE THAT FAINT WHINE!!! ) monobol upfront….yada, yada, yada.

Difference is I have the Ohlins dedicated with as you know insane spring rates. Rough on the street with rough roads, but on the highway or track I had a G80 owner get in it and go “WTF, 13 years old and I swear this feels better than mine at speed”…..so smooth and the grip is insane. But, around town I have to be at 15 clicks, no lower and can’t crank her till I hit the track. Still love her though

Would love to see what these do on my setup where the only thing changed is the shocks leaving the springs I have. I venture to guess that being tuned for the spring rates they sell this kit with means they won’t work right being paired with spring rates approaching 1000.

Wish they would come out with a more track focused version of these or tune to different spring rates——course if I wanted that someone should tell me to go buy a 2022 GT3 (which I would if I was man enough to afford it ).

Thanks for the thread, really appreciate it as I looked at these when I did my suspension but distributor in DE was busy and they were not as readily available as they are now!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 1
Thumbie95.50
      01-24-2024, 12:44 PM   #86
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

e46e92love

Tractive does have a more track oriented version of the 1-way EDC setup (track line) and a three-way damper with manually adjustable HS and LS compression + EDC rebound (motorsport line).

Also, Nitron is releasing etron R1 and R3 dampers (and a roadsport street version) similar to the Tractive options. R3 is a EDC rebound + LS & HS manually adjustable compression. A comparison of Tractive and Nitron EDC offerings will be interesting.

What are you looking for in the comparison? With the same spring rates, The Tractive Track line will most likely ride more harshly than R&Ts properly valved for your spring rates. EDC dampers are trying to always find the correct LS underdamped (0.6-0.8 % of critical) and HS significantly underdamped (e.g., 0.2-0.4 % of critical damping) damping coefficients to minimize the number of cycles for each disturbance. The Tractive version that uses their own active controller allows you to set up pre-configured settings that control LS body motions along with different base maps to define performance levels (e.g., comfort, sport, track, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 01:48 PM   #87
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
e46e92love

Tractive does have a more track oriented version of the 1-way EDC setup (track line) and a three-way damper with manually adjustable HS and LS compression + EDC rebound (motorsport line).

Also, Nitron is releasing etron R1 and R3 dampers (and a roadsport street version) similar to the Tractive options. R3 is a EDC rebound + LS & HS manually adjustable compression. A comparison of Tractive and Nitron EDC offerings will be interesting.

What are you looking for in the comparison? With the same spring rates, The Tractive Track line will most likely ride more harshly than R&Ts properly valved for your spring rates. EDC dampers are trying to always find the correct LS underdamped (0.6-0.8 % of critical) and HS significantly underdamped (e.g., 0.2-0.4 % of critical damping) damping coefficients to minimize the number of cycles for each disturbance. The Tractive version that uses their own active controller allows you to set up pre-configured settings that control LS body motions along with different base maps to define performance levels (e.g., comfort, sport, track, etc.).
I’m looking for the GT3 experience like the 450k price tag

Honestly, would be nice to not have to get under her and fuck with clicks depending on the day. There are many highways near me I could crank my Ohlins to “1” and it would be fine, but then I come off the exit and FUCK . I’m considering trailering her to the track this summer rather than having to get there early, and do the whole jack her up, do the click game and such.

Listen, Ohlins dedicated with all the other upgrades I made was NOT cheap but it has transformed my car into a track beast that can be driven on the street (huge for this engine to be used consistently). I’d have to be good enough to go semi-pro / pro circuit for me to out drive this setup. But I just wish I’m getting older and lazier and wish I could click a button to allow the car to soften a bit at times. Make sense?

I like the ability to adjust roll and pitch as well….rather than just adjustments for stiffness. I like how you tell the computer you want less roll and it adjust things. It’s a big reason why probably 90% of people who get 3-way adjustable shouldn’t because they don’t know enough about suspension tuning to get it right for different tracks / roads leading to the car performing WORSE than it would fitted with significantly cheaper 2-ways.

Again, 1st world problem of: make enough to buy a 2022 GT3RS….

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 06:15 PM   #88
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Honestly, would be nice to not have to get under her and fuck with clicks depending on the day.
If I was being totally honest, one of the main reasons I got the TracTive was cos it was getting to be a real chore having to adjust the damping for Sunday canyon runs, and then Monday daily driving. Yes, I'm lazy lol. What's even better now is that I have specific settings for certain stretches of road. High speed stuff I use softer damping for more grip, and in the twisties I go stiffer for better response. All switched on the fly, with the press of a button.

Even til today the TracTive still continue to impress me. The magic is in the roll and pitch control. Your brain tells you soft springs should not be able to have body control like that, but the car just takes your inputs and does what you command it to. No fuss, no drama, and super smooth. I haven't driven Ohlins Dedicated Track yet, but the TracTive was another level above and beyond the R/T.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50