BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-16-2022, 12:46 PM   #23
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Agreed, they've gone downhill. Fortunately the E9x catalog was all designed and made under Steve's watch.
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00
      03-23-2022, 04:56 PM   #24
mbegic
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

The front monoballs are probably the best mod for the money. They are noticeably tighter and transfer that feeling right into your hands. They have a small amount of harshness when driving over ripple strips in the road, however the benefits far outweigh the negatives.
I would say that you feel the harshness about 1% over an average commute, however you will feel a reduction in sloppy steering every time you take a corner, regardless of the speed. this is my experience after swapping out my bushes with 100k on them

kind regards
Appreciate 4
slcook541863.00
drwankel1047.50
nah dude237.00
      03-27-2022, 03:55 AM   #25
yeedub
Rep
Drives: Telsa Model 3

Does this mod benefit if on stock suspension?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 08:57 PM   #26
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Yes. I don't think the rest of the suspension matters much in that respect. The resulting feel and benefits from these will be the same regardless of other components one has, for the most part. It may be that those on firmer suspensions may have different tolerances or expectations from any (minimal) harshness these add. But it's so minimal that shouldn't matter much.
FWIW I have these with OE ZCP suspension + Dinan plates and sway bar kit, so pretty close to stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 01:13 PM   #27
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Finally got around to installing the GAS monoballs. Have had a couple days of seat time.

The steering feels tighter / less sloppy. I never really thought it felt sloppy before, but yes there is an improvement especially mid turn. Car feels more stable under hard braking.

Little to no harshness added. Above comments were right, its like 1% more harsh, almost undetectable. Did not notice any sort of popping at low speeds.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anybody, even on a bone stock car.

For anybody considering this on a car with a Harrop supercharger, be aware you will need to loosen the intercooler lines on the right side of the car to get the thrust arm bolt out and back in.

I should also add this did nothing to address the vibration I was describing earlier in the thread, and may have made it slightly worse. I need to get some more miles on the car to arrive at a conclusion here. Likely just transmitting whatever is going on more directly into the wheel. Noticed that my wheel hubs are corroded quite badly, so that may be a piece of this. The vibration previously got less pronounced over time, but removing and re-installing the wheels may have cause that to come back a bit.

Upcoming plans to address that vibration:
-Switching to a forged version of the wide ZCPs
-Will change wheel bearings the next time I have to do brakes.

Last edited by drwankel; 07-04-2022 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 02:17 PM   #28
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Finally got around to installing the GAS monoballs. Have had a couple days of seat time.

The steering feels tighter / less sloppy. I never really thought it felt sloppy before, but yes there is an improvement especially mid turn. Car feels more stable under hard braking.

Little to no harshness added. Above comments were right, its like 1% more harsh, almost undetectable. Did not notice any sort of popping at low speeds.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anybody, even on a bone stock car.

For anybody considering this on a car with a Harrop supercharger, be aware you will need to loosen the intercooler lines on the right side of the car to get the thrust arm bolt out and back in.

I should also add this did nothing to address the vibration I was describing earlier in the thread, and may have made it slightly worse. I need to get some more miles on the car to arrive at a conclusion here. Likely just transmitting whatever is going on more directly into the wheel. Noticed that my wheel hubs are corroded quite badly, so that may be a piece of this. The vibration previously got less pronounced over time, but removing and re-installing the wheels may have cause that to come back a bit.

Upcoming plans to address that vibration:
-Switching to a forged version of the wide ZCPs
-Will change wheel bearings the next time I have to do brakes.
I also have the GAS monoballs on my car, as well as Bilstein B16 coilovers with Ground Control camber plates. I agree, the NVH from the monoballs is negligible, almost undetectable unless maybe you drove a stock car back to back.

Regarding your vibration issue - Do you have wheel spacers? I had a slight vibration that was resolved by doing a thorough cleaning of the wheel hub lip where it goes into the wheel. Used a wire wheel on a drill to really clean it good and also cleaned the inner bore of the wheels & spacers with it. There was a good bit of corrosion that was probably causing them not to sit properly.
Appreciate 1
drwankel1047.50
      07-11-2022, 04:44 PM   #29
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
I also have the GAS monoballs on my car, as well as Bilstein B16 coilovers with Ground Control camber plates. I agree, the NVH from the monoballs is negligible, almost undetectable unless maybe you drove a stock car back to back.

Regarding your vibration issue - Do you have wheel spacers? I had a slight vibration that was resolved by doing a thorough cleaning of the wheel hub lip where it goes into the wheel. Used a wire wheel on a drill to really clean it good and also cleaned the inner bore of the wheels & spacers with it. There was a good bit of corrosion that was probably causing them not to sit properly.
No spacers, but I absolutely did notice quite a bit of corrosion on the wheel hub lip when I had the wheels off to do the monoball install. Ran out of time to do something about it on install day. I'll book some shop time soon and get that cleaned up.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 01:13 PM   #30
MAE90M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I just ordered a kit with the lemforder arms. Their video comparing the TRW and Lemforder arms convinced me.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 10:05 AM   #31
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAE90M3 View Post
I just ordered a kit with the lemforder arms. Their video comparing the TRW and Lemforder arms convinced me.
What did the video say? Also where did you order from?
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 10:30 AM   #32
MAE90M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
What did the video say? Also where did you order from?

I ordered directly from German Auto Solutions
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 12:50 PM   #33
drwankel
Major
Rep

Yeah this is sort of an odd ball solution but it works. You'd never just use the lemforder arms out of the bag on our cars, as they come with the oil filled bushing, as opposed to the TRW arms on our cars which come with the solid rubber bushing.

If you are going to change the arms to monoballs out of the gate and remove the bushing, there is no reason not to use the lemforder arms based on GAS' findings since going to a monoball makes the differences a moot point.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 05:48 PM   #34
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

GAS monoball kit in a street car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Yeah this is sort of an odd ball solution but it works. You'd never just use the lemforder arms out of the bag on our cars, as they come with the oil filled bushing, as opposed to the TRW arms on our cars which come with the solid rubber bushing.

If you are going to change the arms to monoballs out of the gate and remove the bushing, there is no reason not to use the lemforder arms based on GAS' findings since going to a monoball makes the differences a moot point.
I wonder how the TRW arms made in Malaysia compare to previous ones made in Germany. Would you still choose TRW over lemforder if bushings are not being upgraded?
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 11:00 PM   #35
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Yes, Lemforder arms without the monoballs would be a downgrade on an M. But they look like the better arm if you are going with monoballs. I got new German TRW arms when I put the Dinan monoballs in, but had I known the above I would have gone with Lemforder. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 10:10 AM   #36
MAE90M3
Private First Class
Rep

It is amazing the difference these monoballs make. It has only been one day, but the difference is so noticeable. Highly recommend they be included in any suspension refresh/upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 11:19 AM   #37
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
This thread helped me make my decision on a street car with monoballs and I wanted to give my take for anyone else on the fence.

Short answer, DO IT, specifically GAS.

I had EAS do the install, my tech did a quick drive and said the GAS monoballs are the best he's felt. No weird noises, no issues.

I drove the car home to San Diego last night and man does it feel dialed. If there's any NVH over the stock bushings, it's practically nothing. It still rides comfortable and you just feel more connected to the front of the car. It's hard to really explain until you experience it.

100% recommending this to everyone whether you track your car or it's your daily driver and you just want a new level to the driving experience this platform offers
      12-14-2023, 08:45 AM   #38
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I’ve had BW LCA monoballs on four different Ms so far and there’s zero NVH. Noticeable improvement in braking and steering. There’s no downside to installing these, only upside.
Appreciate 1
amg6975500.00
      01-06-2024, 07:39 AM   #39
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Had GAS front monoball on my previous e92 M3 for over 40,000 miles including 12 track days, definitely more connected steering feel, especially cornering under hard braking.. minimal increase in NVH particularly noticeable if drive over rumble strips..
No vibrations or rattles or clinks, pretty straight forward DIY too!
I would recommend them!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 01:24 PM   #40
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Opted for front Syncro Design Works monoball thru FCPEuro [warranty].
These along with full replace/upgrade of entire suspension.

All-in next level driving feel, precision, and performance for OE+ set-up
[spirited street, occasional AutoX].
  • B16s w/EDC
  • Control arms
  • Trailing arms
  • All Links
  • Tie rod assy
  • PU bushings [subframes, sway bars]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 05:26 PM   #41
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Interesting. This Syncro Works monoball is just pushed in, there are no bolts on the other side?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 11:11 PM   #42
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Interesting. This Syncro Works monoball is just pushed in, there are no bolts on the other side?
Hopefully they're 'pressed in'

That said, more drive miles will be telling for outcomes...performance, quality, longevity.

Regardless, FCPEuro warranty is my fall-back plan

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 10:06 AM   #43
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
Hopefully they're 'pressed in'

That said, more drive miles will be telling for outcomes...performance, quality, longevity.

Regardless, FCPEuro warranty is my fall-back plan
They better have gotten their tolerances right. You definitely don’t want a LCAB just pop out while driving. The repair won’t be covered by just a replacement lower control arm!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 11:14 AM   #44
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
They better have gotten their tolerances right. You definitely don’t want a LCAB just pop out while driving. The repair won’t be covered by just a replacement lower control arm!
Some additional data to consider...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRyhtJAR5FM

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1520921

Last edited by smokinjoe64; 01-15-2024 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0