BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

01-27-2024, 12:21 PM   #1
sperkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 MT

Sway Bar recommendation-

Ok Guys, so I wore out the 'search' button trying to find the perfect solution, finally realizing there is no perfect solution.

So here's the deal: I have a leaking diff. While replacing the seal, I might as well upgrade the bushings, (75D from AKG) and well, lets drop the subframe and upgrade those too (BW solid aluminum).

Since i have the subframe dropped, lets replace the swaybar, right?
FYI I'm slowly transforming this car to a trackday special (rear interior gutted, rollbar on order). I'm gathering sphericals, and will go to coilovers this summer (currently on factory EDC w Swift springs).

What would you do regarding swaybars? I expect to replace the front bar along with the rear.
I'm looking for some direction on brand, thickness, etc.

Thank you!!

-Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 05:07 PM   #2
Battle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Prius

Hotchkis is a popular brand
      02-02-2024, 01:47 PM   #3
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

the bigger question is "Do you really need a stiffer rear sway bar?"

Until you know exactly how your car's balance and handling behaves on a race track at the limit, you wont know if you are helping yourself or hurting yourself by proactively installing a thicker rear sway bar. I know it makes sense to "do it while you're in there" but it's probably best to hold off until you can get a good baseline for how the car behaves first.

I know on my HPDE car, my very simple setup of F-700lb/R-1000lb Nitron R1 coilovers, 275/35/18 square tire setup, and no aero, my car's tendency is to oversteer in long sweeping corners- I have zero understeer in my car. I could benefit from adding just a bigger front sway bar and leaving the stock rear sway bar. When I get around to putting solid subframe bushings in, I'll be leaving the stock rear swaybar in place.

also... I think there are only a handful of thicker sway bar options out there so you might be limited enough where thickness, etc. doesnt really matter. It would be nice if there was enough adjustability between the aftermarket front and rear bars to where you could still tune the rear bar softer if your car behaves like mine does.

Last edited by MineralWhiteF80; 02-02-2024 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 02:59 PM   #4
sperkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 MT

What I gather is I’m probably overthinking it right now.
A better path for me is to upgrade to coilovers & tires, play with some settings, and go from there.

Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 03:39 PM   #5
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

You shouldn't just go out an upgrade swaybars. It depends a lot on spring rates and on whatever effect on understeer/oversteer the other parts or alignment changes you'd added have contirbuted.

Generally speaking, you do want some roll for grip. Stiffer springs will reduce roll without any change to the bar stiffness. So if staying with stock or low-ish rates (like from dinan/eibach springs), a bigger front bar could make sense. Slapping on a bigger front bar at the same time you install 336lb+ front springs is a recipe for understeer. BUT - understeer at what speed? Maybe the understeer is problematic at typical speeds, but it's very neutral on a higher speed track. Should you install a bigger bar is a complex issue, and really, should be for fine tuning for a track car. UNLESS your only goal is to reduce excessive roll on stock suspension for a low price/no change to dampers/springs. IMO.

I wouldn't bother with a rear bar. In fact, if you increased spring rate enough, you might ditch the rear bar in order to get some more rotation.