BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

05-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #23
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

Gorgeous..if money grew on trees....
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #24
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
Maj, I think you read it wrong. No one cares what YOU have to say about it.

Here we go again, another GT-R fanboi hahaha.
Exactly.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #25
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3coupee92 View Post
If I owned the 2014 911 Turbo S, I could care less about a 2014 Nissan GTR. It's a Porshe 911 Turbo!
What's your point? You make it sound like a 911T is some kind of exclusive exotic hypercar like a LaFerrari or One-77. But it isn't. It's just a tricked out high performance VW Beetle. So from Datsun to Volkswagen isn't exactly that big of an upgrade.

I just don't understand those who diss on a GTR because it's "just a Nissan" and get a 911T instead. When did Porsches become a status symbol? Did I miss something?

But hey, maybe some people just like to pay more money so they can go slower.

Last edited by Majin Buu; 05-04-2013 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #26
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosborn78108 View Post
As a former owner of a 997.2 (had to "exchange" it for a Cayenne Hybrid to come to Germany as the family didn't fit in the 911--darn-it!) and soon to be M3 the discussion of GT-R, 911 and M3 is kind of like the discussion on what is the better phone.

All are great cars, can I beat a GT-R on the Nurburgring or any course--for a base 911 w/PDK no but I'll have just as big of a grin as the GT-R owner. I bought the 911 for it's handling and pure driving enjoyment.

At the 'Ring, there are many GT-R owners and not a single one has done the "mine's better than yours" childish crap to any of the Porsche owners. They have even complemented the Cayenne.

All 3 are great cars and when I get the M3 (June :-( ), it will be on the track shortly.

To the discussion about Porsche trying to discredit the GT-R for it's track time, the bottom line is the car IS faster than a 911. The advantage to all of us, is this forced Porsche and other manufacturers to better their cars. Heck a Cayman R with the 911 engine (or TPMS turbo) can better the 911, something Porsche doesn't advertise as people wont buy a 911--their flagship and their former cash cow. The new cash cow is the Cayenne--IMHO, a truck! But it has its purpose as the X3/X5M also do.

I like the discussion here and all make valid points. When I get back to the states in 3 years, CINQHOUSE said I can buy a new 911 but I like the 997.2, the 991 hasnt called to me (or the bank account). That said I will keep the M3 as I enjoy both.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #27
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
What's your point? You make it sound like a 911T is some kind of exclusive exotic hypercar like a LaFerrari or One-77. But it isn't. It's just a tricked out high performance VW Beetle. So from Datsun to Volkswagen isn't exactly that big of an upgrade.

I just don't understand those who diss on a GTR because it's "just a Nissan" and get a 911T instead. When did Porsches become a status symbol? Did I miss something?

Did someone in a Porsche bag your mom? Such a hater, lol.
      05-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #28
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:

and... have a far better looking car.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
Did someone in a Porsche bag your mom? Such a hater, lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #30
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

99.9% of you guys wont even get close to their lap times in either car if you had the chance, so who cares!!!!!!!! Buy what you like and be happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #31
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Phenomenal. Beyond my means to buy new if I also want a decent daily driver. Willing to bet it will be around $180-190k.
      05-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #32
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
Did you just call a 911 overweight?
Lol, yeah. I don't think an M3 owner has any business accusing a 911 of being overweight.

Still though, I doubt it's gonna be faster than a GT-R. And to clarify, I'm talking about lap times on a road course, not straight line speed. In a straight line, the 997 Turbo S is faster than the GT-R I admit, but only by a thin margin, and not "rape" like someone said. On a track it's different. The GT-R lapped the Nurburgring in about 7:24. The only Porsche with equivalent lap time is the GT2RS. The GTR on average is faster around a track than any iteration of the 911 Turbo, and I doubt the 991 will change that. And let's not forget the R36 GT-R is probably due in the near future and will likely be even faster than the R35.
Interview on motortrend website with Dr, Mssle said lap time for turbo S is 7:26, base turbo 7:29, but can be fitted with "semi-racing tires from the GT3", which knock 2 seconds off. I can't put link on at the moment sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #33
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I diss on a GTR because it is F'in ugly and has zero refinement or finesse in its execution, not because it is a Nissan. FWIW, I think the 370Z is actually one of the nicest shapes on the road.

Too bad you can't put a paper bag over a GTR when you drive it.

And pipe in the sound from the S65.
      05-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #34
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I diss on a GTR because it is F'in ugly and has zero refinement or finesse in its execution, not because it is a Nissan. FWIW, I think the 370Z is actually one of the nicest shapes on the road.

Well to be honest beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally agree that the GTR isn't the greatest looking car on the road. But then again, I also find the 911 to look like an ugly squished VW Beetle. And I'm pretty sure some people out there would find the M3 awkward looking. It's all subjective.

As for "refinement" and "finesse", I actually cars that are more raw and hardcore. Reminds me that I'm in a performance car and not a luxury cruiser. But if refinement is your thing, then by all means dont get a GTR but upgrade to the alternative, which is the 911 Turbo, for a very small amount of $$$ that would otherwise get you a new M3, or a new fully loaded Cayman S, or another base 911, or a Corvette C7, or a decent downpayment on a new house.

But like I said, some people have money to burn and would prefer to get the more expensive and slower option. More power to them. Personally, the only reason i would have ever considered the turbo over the gtr is the availability of a manual gearbox, but unfortunately that is no longer the case with the new 991 generation.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #35
e92m3_f15x5
mmmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Wow this thread got sidetracked.

Back on topic, I think this is only offered with PDK. Maybe I'll just look for a 997.2.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #36
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well to be honest beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally agree that the GTR isn't the greatest looking car on the road. But then again, I also find the 911 to look like an ugly squished VW Beetle. And I'm pretty sure some people out there would find the M3 awkward looking. It's all subjective.

As for "refinement" and "finesse", I actually cars that are more raw and hardcore. Reminds me that I'm in a performance car and not a luxury cruiser. But if refinement is your thing, then by all means dont get a GTR but upgrade to the alternative, which is the 911 Turbo, for a very small amount of $$$ that would otherwise get you a new M3, or a new fully loaded Cayman S, or another base 911, or a Corvette C7, or a decent downpayment on a new house.

But like I said, some people have money to burn and would prefer to get the more expensive and slower option. More power to them. Personally, the only reason i would have ever considered the turbo over the gtr is the availability of a manual gearbox, but unfortunately that is no longer the case with the new 991 generation.
For me, beyond a certain level of speed capability, I look at other things. As far as a car being slower or faster, once again, beyond a certain point it is superfluous. It is about the enjoyment of the car-driver interface that gives me driving enjoyment. Certainly speed is one element but I find the speed capabilities of even a lowly M3 to be sufficient for my driving enjoyment.

Now, in terms of value, I agree that a new Porsche is a poor value, but that is a different matter entirely
      05-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #37
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:

I agree with you on the Nissan and I am a former owner of a Nissan. I would never go back to Nissan. I look at so many things when I buy a car, not just performance or just looks. I need the entire package and throw in a bang for a buck.

If I had money to burn I would go with this... Not the fastest by any means but fast enough for me and looks solid. Now if anyone says the Nissan GTR looks better and out performs this car, they need to be screened for drugs.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #38
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Which tree have you been hiding under my friend? Wake the ** up, porsche has dominated every car category for the past how many years... And that too in racing, it's always been up their. So I'm not to sure what you are talking about, don't be a BMW d-bag.
      05-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #39
nitroho
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
Which tree have you been hiding under my friend? Wake the ** up, porsche has dominated every car category for the past how many years... And that too in racing, it's always been up their. So I'm not to sure what you are talking about, don't be a BMW d-bag.

so so true
2010 Mazda 3
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #40
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
SMH, that company just keeps bringing it!
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #41
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Not a fan of the redesigned body for the 991 Turbo. I think the 997.2 Turbo was a much better looking car. The 991 Carrera S and the new Cayman are in their own right beautiful cars., but the 991 Turbo looks like a cross-breed between the two gone wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
I agree with you on the Nissan and I am a former owner of a Nissan. I would never go back to Nissan. I look at so many things when I buy a car, not just performance or just looks. I need the entire package and throw in a bang for a buck.

If I had money to burn I would go with this... Not the fastest by any means but fast enough for me and looks solid. Now if anyone says the Nissan GTR looks better and out performs this car, they need to be screened for drugs.

I dont understand how you can possibly drive that thing in the real world. Can it even make it up ramps to be transported around?
      05-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #42
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
+1.

Porsche is the single most successful manuf. in race car history. BMW, Ferrari and Merc combined dont have the success they do.

And they have always been the benchmark. Thats why nissan targeted the 911 turbo when they wanted to make a sports car. They targeted the best.

The GTR is a very fast car and will beat out most super/hyper cars on the track because its designed to. Most people in a GTR will be faster than someone in a 458 or turbo just because the GTR is made to put down fast lap times with its tech and awd.

Id still take a 911 turbo or 458 and be ever so slightly slower any day.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #43
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Phenomenal. Beyond my means to buy new if I also want a decent daily driver. Willing to bet it will be around $180-190k.
At least its currently an option to you! I still have to pay my dues for another 10-yrs before I can realistically consider this majestic beast lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #44
Hisam135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I need more money!!!!!!
2008 Monaco Blue 335i | Terracotta | Premium | Auto | Comfort Access | Matte-black Grills | Carbon Fiber Splitters | 20% Tint | 1- point E9x Picture Game | Staggered 19' VMR V701 | Legal Disclaimer: My posts on this website cannot be held against me in any issues, such as warranty claims. |
Appreciate 0