BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
AllAboutM
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Tire Pressure Question

Hey guys,
So I bought a M3 right before winter and so upon purchasing I had to store it. Now that the weather has warmed up (thank god) I can bring her out again. So I was wondering what the tire pressures should be set at, I have Iforged 360 rims with Nitto Invo (245/30/20 front and 295/25/20) rear. The tires say max 50psi. Before storing they were set at 26psi front and 28 psi rear. Should I stick with those pressures? what is the correct tire pressure? Thanks in advance for the input.

All the best!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]

Yes, I suppose I'm a hater.

You bought a high performance car for cruising around and looking cool.

Then you messed it up by putting on POS 20" wheels.

but to answer your question, you should be running those tires at at least 35 psi COLD. You have little tiny sidewalls that can't protect the stupid wheels you put on. You should probably run closer to 40 psi and give up some tire life and make the ride even worse.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe;6870282,

You should be running those tires at at least 35 psi COLD. You have little tiny sidewalls that can't protect the stupid wheels you put on. You should probably run [B
closer to 40 psi and give up some tire life and make the ride even worse[/B].
I found that running higher tire pressures in my 335i with 18s (not RFT) actually improved the ride. It seemed totally counterintuitive so I returned to lower pressures for a while and then wnet back to hogher pressure. I am now running 40PSI and the ride quality is definitely better.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
AllAboutM
Rep

Geez we got a hater here.....wat does POS mean? and FYI i never put those wheels on it, they came on it in addition to the fugly 18' stock rims which are sitting in the basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post

Yes, I suppose I'm a hater.

You bought a high performance car for cruising around and looking cool.

Then you messed it up by putting on POS 20" wheels.

but to answer your question, you should be running those tires at at least 35 psi COLD. You have little tiny sidewalls that can't protect the stupid wheels you put on. You should probably run closer to 40 psi and give up some tire life and make the ride even worse.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutM View Post
wat does POS mean?
Piece Of $hit . I just answered your question .
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Congratulations on your new M3. It does make sense to raise your pressures a little bit above the stock BMW recommendations due to your shorter sidewalls. Adding some air will protect the wheels more, and better support the weight of the vehicle. Max load bearing of a P Metric Standard load tire is 35 psi, which makes that solid starting point for your pressure settings. 26psi is definitely on the low side.

The hatred comes from the perception that 20" wheels are installed by those who are more concerned with image than performance. They are heavier, and the M3 tire sidewalls are already short enough that you do not have to go to bigger wheels to eliminate sidewall slop.

So if you go to the track you might want to throw some track tires on those "ugly" 18's you have, but for the street, the 20's are fine if you can keep out of the potholes.
      03-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
AllAboutM
Rep

Thank you for the detailed response. Yes I have the stock 18's that I can throw on if i decide to track the car. I set the tire pressure to 35psi. thanks for all the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Congratulations on your new M3. It does make sense to raise your pressures a little bit above the stock BMW recommendations due to your shorter sidewalls. Adding some air will protect the wheels more, and better support the weight of the vehicle. Max load bearing of a P Metric Standard load tire is 35 psi, which makes that solid starting point for your pressure settings. 26psi is definitely on the low side.

The hatred comes from the perception that 20" wheels are installed by those who are more concerned with image than performance. They are heavier, and the M3 tire sidewalls are already short enough that you do not have to go to bigger wheels to eliminate sidewall slop.

So if you go to the track you might want to throw some track tires on those "ugly" 18's you have, but for the street, the 20's are fine if you can keep out of the potholes.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
westend117
A Priori
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

18's for winter

So why not use your 18s for winter tires since the selection of 18" winter tires is vastly superior to 19"+ in the U.S.?

That is what I am considering.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

That's also a good use for them.
      07-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
stevenross
General
Rep
Drives: a ride

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW X5 3.Slow  [0.00]
out of curiousity what would be the ideal tire pressure for running a Winter 240 Sottozero with 18s?

thanks in advance,
S

Quote:

'08 X5 3.Slow / Saphire Black Metallic on Black - Retained
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #11
stevenross
General
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
out of curiousity what would be the ideal tire pressure for running a Winter 240 Sottozero with 18s?

thanks in advance,
S

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 06:43 AM   #12
stevenross
General
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]

thanks in advance,
S

Quote:

Appreciate 0