BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #23
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryaveer View Post
well i m watching this unusual tire wear on my new tire RFT of E90, any suggestions ..i dont think the alignment is out its just run 4800 miles n no balancing issues ..can this be a tire manufacturer defect or does it comes under warranty. the pic is of the front left wheel n the same thing has started to start on the rear left wheel...
Do you track the car at all? The wear on the flats of the tread blocks looks normal (from what the picture shows). The wear on the shoulder looks like tires that were previously tracked.
      11-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #24
aryaveer
Rep
Drives: E90

Well never tracked it ever .. Ya bt I have driven to speeds upto 100mph

Well no tracking whatsoever bt top speed is upto 110mph also ttts also like once n all ..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #25
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
I brought this to the attention of our tire information department, and they were able to give some theories about what may be going on.

It appears that the tire is at the end of the useful life, and has begun to wear through the bottom of the functional tread compound, exposing the undertread compound. Often this undertread compound gets pulled up into the very base of the tread block elements during the molding process, which is considered normal.

The narrow center rib between the two skinny grooves in the middle of the tire is well into the wear bar: note how at the top middle the two grooves are 'stopped' by the wear bar because the rest of the tread has worn down level with the bar.

For those who are interested, I've attached a photo of a tire cut through the tread to show the undertread layer, and how it can come up into the bottom of the tread blocks in an uneven way. For reference, the little silver dots are the steel belts.

On powerful cars that are driven hard, it is not unusual to see the center wear out faster. Transmitting torque to the pavement can work the center area more than the edges.

Also, for an enthusiast on the street, the tighter nature of right hand turns (in countries that drive on the right and side) will often lead to the driver's side wearing out first.
Hi Ben,

Do you know if a sway bars will improve the tire wear?
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #26
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Hi Ben,

Do you know if a sway bars will improve the tire wear?
They may help even out your driver side vs passenger side wear, assuming that it is in fact caused by hard cornering.

They would keep the car flatter during hard cornering so that the weight, and thus the work, is distributed more evenly between the two sides of the car.

If you often get noticeable body lean in the car when taking fast turns, that would be a clue that the bars might help.