BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-16-2010, 12:32 AM   #23
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
The only thing you need to do before hitting the Ring is get the 1,200 mile service done. As a first timer, you'll be considered fast if you can complete a lap in 10 min. At that pace, you will not be stressing the M3 at all. I wouldn't worry about the car, start learning the corners now. If nothing else, read up on how to properly enter into Adenauer Forst. That is the one that bites the most people in the ass.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #24
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
First break-in period says not to exceed 170Km, don't exceed 5500 Rpm during the first 1200 miles. After 1200 you can sustain speeds up to 137 Mph and due short stints at top speed, until you reach 3000 miles then your car is fully broken in.

Don't you think the Ring, would be a major detour on your way home, 2 hrs from K-town one way?
Maybe, but I have a weird sense of "out of the way." For me it ould have been part of the delivery experience. Pick the car up at Welt, head to the Ring. Unfortunately my delivery was mid January so me delivery experience was "take winter wheels/tires to dealer, stop for gas, drive home."
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #25
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
The only thing you need to do before hitting the Ring is get the 1,200 mile service done. As a first timer, you'll be considered fast if you can complete a lap in 10 min. At that pace, you will not be stressing the M3 at all. I wouldn't worry about the car, start learning the corners now. If nothing else, read up on how to properly enter into Adenauer Forst. That is the one that bites the most people in the ass.
unfortunately, I wont be near service mileage yet when i reach the ring (about 1000km by then), so I think I may just take it directly there as is. Just a few laps around at no more than 5500rpm, specially with my dad in there since he is afraid of high speeds.

yeah, I've played the adenauer a few times on the PS3 so that should help

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #26
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
HELL yes!!! thanks man!

can you send me a google maps link to the route? for the life of me, I can't freaking get it on googlemaps or google earth!
Will do, I'll make one later on and post it here.

Quote:
beautiful! I was gonna ask what is the best method of asking for pictures... i was afraid I may have to get my dad to ride just a couple of laps, and then give him the Canon 7D to shoot from the outside while I do more laps! LOL
Yeah, I had the same idea of dropping off the wife on one of the side roads, Nikon on hand but then realized that would delete any goodwill for the rest of the trip.

There is at least one other good photo outfit that I couldn't find. I got my picture simply by googling the ED license plate number in various combinations with the word "touristenfahrt". But the smart thing to do is contact the photographer beforehand - while they attend all public sessions they can make sure to be there and alert for your car at a certain time of the day, which will guarantee you get a few pics. In order to confirm the best photo sites, do a search or post a question on bimmerfest's ED forum (and post back here please any additional links you find).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #27
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

outstanding info! thanks again ADC...you are the man!

**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #28
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

OK, let's try this route:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.352692&z=10

Are you getting NAV? Last time around I went with a Garmin that can do multiple-waypoint routing and saved all the "twisty" routes before leaving the US. Not sure if the OEM NAV can do waypoints and routes.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #29
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
OK, let's try this route:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.352692&z=10

Are you getting NAV? Last time around I went with a Garmin that can do multiple-waypoint routing and saved all the "twisty" routes before leaving the US. Not sure if the OEM NAV can do waypoints and routes.
outstanding! thanks...will add to the route.

no, I wont have a Garmin, so I'm planning on using the NAV for that. I may ask them to see if I can "try" the google maps export function as a tryout and see if I can force it to go that route.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #30
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no, I wont have a Garmin, so I'm planning on using the NAV for that. I may ask them to see if I can "try" the google maps export function as a tryout and see if I can force it to go that route.
Wait, it's coming to me... OEM NAV definitely does routes.

Not sure the car comms will work in Europe, I doubt they have an agreement with the European carriers. But you can try generating the routes online (there is a link somewhere on BMW's site) and save them onto a USB drive, then the car should allow you to load them up from the USB stick (via the glovebox USB port).

I remember reading a few people have had trouble getting this to work, but perhaps the latest SW version fixes it.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #31
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Wait, it's coming to me... OEM NAV definitely does routes.

Not sure the car comms will work in Europe, I doubt they have an agreement with the European carriers. But you can try generating the routes online (there is a link somewhere on BMW's site) and save them onto a USB drive, then the car should allow you to load them up from the USB stick (via the glovebox USB port).

I remember reading a few people have had trouble getting this to work, but perhaps the latest SW version fixes it.
man, a fountain of great info you are!

You, sir, are a fine gentleman and a scholar!

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #32
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
man, a fountain of great info you are!
Nah, I'm just spending way too much time on the forum... but it's true I'm an advocate for ED which, as you already know, is a tremendous and addictive experience. So at every opportunity I share all I know about it...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0