BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #23
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
I think you should take it for a nice drive is S mode and drive the piss out of it to see if the DCT acts up.

I can tell you that the DCT likes to be in S mode when driven hard. My car in D mode takes a long time to down shift and when it does it's not very smooth. That's life with a bitchen dual clutch transmission. Weird quirky things like that do happen. Remember it's not an automatic. My Porsche pdk feels like an automatic which I think sucks for a dual clutch, but also doesn't do the quirky things the DCT does.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 03:18 PM   #24
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi

Garage List
Oh goody, another with DCT problems...

Hopefully yours doesn't do what mine did.
2008 Sparkling Grey Metallic 135i 6MT - JB4 G5 - MHD Race BEF - N54Tuning DP's - ER Chargepipe/w HKS SSQV - Coolingmist Progressive Meth - MMP Hot Side Inlets - AFE Exhaust - Seconday Cat Delete - AMS FMIC - BMS Catch Can - Rob Beck PCV - LUX 160 AE
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #25
Will f
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Ok, so here are some terrible videos shot by the girlfriend...

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...psqofelbnu.mp4

I did about five of them, and what I realised sometimes when it kicked down to 6-7k rpm it went well, but when it only kicked down to 5 ish (in the video) it would hesitate.. You can't really tell, but you can see the camera wobbling when it happens!

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...psxrq1upr4.mp4
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #26
Will f
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPKY5U View Post
Oh goody, another with DCT problems...

Hopefully yours doesn't do what mine did.
Oh dear... Do tell!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #27
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I think you should take it for a nice drive is S mode and drive the piss out of it to see if the DCT acts up.

I can tell you that the DCT likes to be in S mode when driven hard. My car in D mode takes a long time to down shift and when it does it's not very smooth. That's life with a bitchen dual clutch transmission. Weird quirky things like that do happen. Remember it's not an automatic. My Porsche pdk feels like an automatic which I think sucks for a dual clutch, but also doesn't do the quirky things the DCT does.
Sorry for going a little OT.

Longboarder,

Do you feel the Porsche PDK is superior to the DCT? What about for gentle daily driving with occasional blasts and no track time? I have never driven a PDK equipped Porsche, however I am a huge fan of my DCT equipped M3.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #28
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Sorry for going a little OT.

Longboarder,

Do you feel the Porsche PDK is superior to the DCT? What about for gentle daily driving with occasional blasts and no track time? I have never driven a PDK equipped Porsche, however I am a huge fan of my DCT equipped M3.

TIA
Well, the PDK is superior in terms of shift speed (seriously almost imperceptible), and it can handle a lot more torque than the DCT can. And for the track it will never overheat so it will withstand any type of abuse you can imagine...and then some. It can do enough launch controls in a row that you will get motions sickness before the PDK breaks. But it drives exactly like an automatic. Not really that fun.

The DCT on the other hand is fragile and quirky, But it FEELS exactly like a true dual clutch/F1 trans with the paddle interface. I love driving it. The Porsche is boring in comparison.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #29
nthretourNAFTW
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 NA no turbo required

Quote:
Well, the PDK is superior in terms of shift speed (seriously almost imperceptible), and it can handle a lot more torque than the DCT can. And for the track it will never overheat so it will withstand any type of abuse you can imagine...and then some. It can do enough launch controls in a row that you will get motions sickness before the PDK breaks. But it drives exactly like an automatic. Not really that fun.

The DCT on the other hand is fragile and quirky, But it FEELS exactly like a true dual clutch/F1 trans with the paddle interface. I love driving it. The Porsche is boring in comparison.
...and then there is the 6MT, can handle a lot more torque than the DCT, will never overheat, does not drive like an automatic, a lot of fun (in a more involving physical way). The downside is you cannot get a sensation of continuous pulls when accelerating hard between shifts. So each have their disadvantage, the perfect transmission has not been invented yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #30
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will f View Post
Ok, so here are some terrible videos shot of the girlfriend...

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...psqofelbnu.mp4
Fixed that for you
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #31
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I was an avid manual driver for 13+ years however the DCT in my M3 ticks all the boxes for me. I concur that the FEEL in the DCT is wonderful and feels like a manual.

Seemingly, the Porsche offers a "technically" more proficient gearbox but sacrifices feel in pursuit of its efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 02:28 AM   #32
Will f
Rep

So I'm guessing that the vids were really too poor to show anything concrete...? I thought as much.
Appreciate 0