BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

12-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Why no love for the Stop Techs?

I've been comparing MSRPs and quoted prices and it seems that the Stop Techs are about $1500 less than the Brembos.

I've seen 1 car here with the Stop Techs...why don't they get any love?
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

I've seen one car with the stoptechs. As I stated in another post - I had a great experience with the stoptechs on my previous M3s. Many track days and street miles, no issues and great performance.

BC
      12-07-2008, 02:44 AM   #3
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RS 46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I've been comparing MSRPs and quoted prices and it seems that the Stop Techs are about $1500 less than the Brembos.

I've seen 1 car here with the Stop Techs...why don't they get any love?
Same reason we didnt opt to save $15,000 on the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by serven7 View Post
Same reason we didnt opt to save $15,000 on the 335i.
That would be implying Brembo's are better, which is definitely necessarily the case.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

i will be doing a track test.. OEM Vrs Stoptechs..... obviously it wont be much of a competition.....

i think the stoptech is a better choice for the M... over the Brembo.... they cost less and you can change pads easier..... the stopping force should be identical.... (whatever the tire can handle)....

i have a set already of 380 6 pots and 355 4 pot Stoptech... but waiting on 19inch wheels... then will take it to the track and change the brakes mid day...

i plan to do a big write up with a Video.....
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Think its the brand thing Its like wearing a Nike or Puma?
      12-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
That would be implying Brembo's are better, which is definitely necessarily the case.
uhh what? I think both are good brakes I personally would chose Brembo but thats just me.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

Im going with StopTech's setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Stoptech makes sick brakes, I would go with them since they're based in CA. Nothing wrong with Brembo at all, but having the manufacturer nearby does have its advantages.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
i will be doing a track test.. OEM Vrs Stoptechs..... obviously it wont be much of a competition.....

i think the stoptech is a better choice for the M... over the Brembo.... they cost less and you can change pads easier..... the stopping force should be identical.... (whatever the tire can handle)....

i have a set already of 380 6 pots and 355 4 pot Stoptech... but waiting on 19inch wheels... then will take it to the track and change the brakes mid day...

i plan to do a big write up with a Video.....
I can't wait to see your feedback. I think the Brembo's look a little more chiseled and sexier but the Stop Techs make a lot more sense financially.

That is assuming that both setups perform equally well.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Brembo you are paying a lot for the name. The monoblock design might be a little costlier to implement but not necessarily better. Brake pad changes are so easy on the Stoptech kit in addition to the caliper being stiffer from the bridge design. They are both great, race proven kits. The ACS brake kit is the Stoptech kit. The RD Sport kit also looks exactly like the Stoptech kit so I believe it's the same thing. Brembo is the larger company. You cannot go wrong with either BBK. I think the Stoptech is the better balanced kit and it's more customized. I don't know why the Brembo kit uses a 380mm rotor front and rear, that would lead me to believe it's more for bling. The rotor size on the Stoptech kit is staggered like OEM and the piston diameters in the calipers were carefully chosen for the M3.

There is plenty of love for Stoptech. Looking forward to KINGLEH's review.
      12-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #12
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Speaking of Stoptechs for the E9x M3.... where do you get them? Who has them in stock?

Perhaps that's why they're not getting any love? I've had Stoptechs on past cars and they performed very well at the track and as much as I'd lean towards getting stoptechs for my M3, every online vendor I've visited only list the Brembo BBKs for E9x application and no Stoptechs to be seen. Even a local tuner shop who is both a Brembo and Stoptech dealer claims "stoptech isn't available for the M3 yet". Perhaps they're not up to date with their info but I think for the most part, many people aren't even aware that an E9x kit is already available. If a Stoptech is available for the E9x M3, what on earth happened to Stoptech marketing?
      12-08-2008, 01:40 AM   #13
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I know I said I was going to go Brembo but Ive been looking around on Stoptech.com and came across this article abut the Viper which last time I check has the best ring time of 7:20something. Says alot.
The Viper SRT10’s standard brakes have been taken to a new level on the Viper SRT10 ACR via StopTech’s 2-piece AeroRotors. ® The rotors with lightweight aluminum hats reduce unsprung mass and rotating inertia, improve rotor airflow and cooling, and substantially reduce brake fade. When combined with the ACR’s Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tires and Sidewinder wheels, a 60 lb. reduction in unsprung mass is realized vs. the standard SRT10. The overall package results in a benchmark stopping distance of less than 100 feet from 60 mph. StopTech is proud to be involved with this groundbreaking new vehicle from Dodge.

The patented AeroRotors® feature curved vanes with innovations on leading and trailing edges. The uniquely designed vanes inside the disc optimize airflow through the rotor. This improved directional design minimizes turbulence and flows up to 80% more air over original equipment rotors, and 10-30% more than competitive directionally-vaned racing rotors.

Outer rotor faces run hotter. The patent pending AeroHat™ has directional stand offs between the rotor and mounting bell (hat) that increase airflow to the outside faces of the rotor by 50-100%. Increased airflow reduces the temperature difference between the inside and outside faces of the rotor resulting in less distortion and better performance compared to other fully floating designs. Outer pad wear is reduced, and the AeroHat™ improves entire brake system airflow by up to 4%.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 01:43 AM   #14
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
Speaking of Stoptechs for the E9x M3.... where do you get them? Who has them in stock?

Perhaps that's why they're not getting any love? I've had Stoptechs on past cars and they performed very well at the track and as much as I'd lean towards getting stoptechs for my M3, every online vendor I've visited only list the Brembo BBKs for E9x application and no Stoptechs to be seen. Even a local tuner shop who is both a Brembo and Stoptech dealer claims "stoptech isn't available for the M3 yet". Perhaps they're not up to date with their info but I think for the most part, many people aren't even aware that an E9x kit is already available. If a Stoptech is available for the E9x M3, what on earth happened to Stoptech marketing?
I just did a quick search on the forum and found this thread. I agree they should market it more...
      12-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #15
Mickb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3 DCT

I have the Brembo BBK for my car. On my last car (E46 M3) I had Stoptechs and they were fabulous. I am sure there is nothing between them in terms of stopping distance or fade, and I really went with Brembo this time for the change.

I am satisified with the Brembos, and I think they look better than the Stoptechs, but if I could buy them again I would go for the Stoptechs purely because of the pad change issue. The caliper removal thing really gets on my tits, especially for track work. Its ridiculous that a "track" upgrade has a really track-unfriendly feature.

Go for stoptech's lads and save yourselves some wedge.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #16
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

I'm concerned about the brake clearance wheel requirements for the Stoptechs though. All the posts I've seen mention that a 19" wheel is a necessity with the Stoptech kit. Meanwhile, there's been several posts with pictures as evidence that confirm that the Brembo BBK will at least work with select 18" wheels like Volks, HREs, etc. Is there something about the Stoptech Caliper+Rotor+Hat design that affords less brake clearance for certain 18" wheels compared to the Brembos? If so, this would be a huge deciding factor for some including myself who plan to go with a BBK for track duty, since using an 18" track wheel set up would be more ideal because of the larger variety of R-compound tires that fit available only in 18". This would be unfortunate since the preference towards the Stoptechs because of lower cost and more user-friendliness would be outweighed by the need to go with the obvious benefits of an 18" track wheel set up.
      12-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #17
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm concerned about the brake clearance wheel requirements for the Stoptechs though. All the posts I've seen mention that a 19" wheel is a necessity with the Stoptech kit. Meanwhile, there's been several posts with pictures as evidence that confirm that the Brembo BBK will at least work with select 18" wheels like Volks, HREs, etc. Is there something about the Stoptech Caliper+Rotor+Hat design that affords less brake clearance for certain 18" wheels compared to the Brembos? If so, this would be a huge deciding factor for some including myself who plan to go with a BBK for track duty, since using an 18" track wheel set up would be more ideal because of the larger variety of R-compound tires that fit available only in 18". This would be unfortunate since the preference towards the Stoptechs because of lower cost and more user-friendliness would be outweighed by the need to go with the obvious benefits of an 18" track wheel set up.
Not many people have done the homework yet to see if any 18" wheels clear. You can call Stoptech or visit their website to get a template. Then you have to do a bit of legwork. But give them a call and see if they know of any wheels that will clear.
      12-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #18
Gary_C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Anything with Brembo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Brembo you are paying a lot for the name. The monoblock design might be a little costlier to implement but not necessarily better. Brake pad changes are so easy on the Stoptech kit in addition to the caliper being stiffer from the bridge design. They are both great, race proven kits. The ACS brake kit is the Stoptech kit. The RD Sport kit also looks exactly like the Stoptech kit so I believe it's the same thing. Brembo is the larger company. You cannot go wrong with either BBK. I think the Stoptech is the better balanced kit and it's more customized. I don't know why the Brembo kit uses a 380mm rotor front and rear, that would lead me to believe it's more for bling. The rotor size on the Stoptech kit is staggered like OEM and the piston diameters in the calipers were carefully chosen for the M3.

There is plenty of love for Stoptech. Looking forward to KINGLEH's review.
Hey there,

Not trying to start a comparison thread, just wanted to address a couple of your comments. I posted a long response in another thread about the components used in the Brembo M3 system...http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3755940&postcount=21
One of the things I didn't address there was the difference between the front and rear discs used in the Brembo setup.

The front is a 380x34mm high heat capacity disc. It's a directional, curved 48 vein, design with a wide airgap for maximum airflow and heat dissipation. The rear is also a 380mm disc (15"), but a lightweight version that is only 28mm thick. Again, this is a directional curved 48 vein design with a wide airgap.

Brembo has more usable combination's of discs (by diameter, thickness, annulus and airgaps) and calipers (each with a variety of piston diameters) than any other manufacturer in existence. We had the option for various rear systems (345mm, 355mm, 380mm) and the final decision was based on the pedal feel and modulation with that particular combination of disc diameter (effective radius) and piston volume.

Back to the topic of pad changes, even though our caliper requires removing the caliper, it is still incredibly quick & easy.
There is no way that it should take any longer than a caliper designed with a bolt in bridge design.
The weight savings and incredible stiffness of the monobloc design definitely outweighs the need to remove the caliper.
The monobloc design IS simply that good.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #19
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
If a Stoptech is available for the E9x M3, what on earth happened to Stoptech marketing?
It is kind of odd because Stop Techs seemed to be just as popular on E46s. Brembo is beating Stop Tech to the punch. I'm surprised the Turner E90 M3 doesn't have the Stop Techs on yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Not many people have done the homework yet to see if any 18" wheels clear. You can call Stoptech or visit their website to get a template. Then you have to do a bit of legwork. But give them a call and see if they know of any wheels that will clear.
Bob@BPS has done most of the research here regarding 18" wheels and Brembo's. I think he contacted the wheel manufacturers directly. The stoptechs might not fit under any 18's because the calipers look a little bulkier than the Brembo's.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #20
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_C View Post
...One of the things I didn't address there was the difference between the front and rear discs used in the Brembo setup.

The front is a 380x34mm high heat capacity disc. It's a directional, curved 48 vein, design with a wide airgap for maximum airflow and heat dissipation. The rear is also a 380mm disc (15"), but a lightweight version that is only 28mm thick. Again, this is a directional curved 48 vein design with a wide airgap.

Brembo has more usable combination's of discs (by diameter, thickness, annulus and airgaps) and calipers (each with a variety of piston diameters) than any other manufacturer in existence. We had the option for various rear systems (345mm, 355mm, 380mm) and the final decision was based on the pedal feel and modulation with that particular combination of disc diameter (effective radius) and piston volume.

The weight savings and incredible stiffness of the monobloc design definitely outweighs the need to remove the caliper.
The monobloc design IS simply that good.
Gary:

Thanks for the info on this. I'm also glad you found your way here to the forum to help provide some facts.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #21
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I called Stop Tech today to get some CC brake kits for BMW-M-Mexico and myself but they informed me that people call once a week looking for this particular item but they still dont sell them. I ask and got no answer to the question Why did you have a set on display at SEMA if you dont intend on marketing them?

After this thread caught my attention I really started looking into ST and Im pretty sure Im going to go with them. -Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #22
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by serven7 View Post
Well I called Stop Tech today to get some CC brake kits for BMW-M-Mexico and myself but they informed me that people call once a week looking for this particular item but they still dont sell them. I ask and got no answer to the question Why did you have a set on display at SEMA if you dont intend on marketing them?

After this thread caught my attention I really started looking into ST and Im pretty sure Im going to go with them. -Thanks

So it's your opinion that ST are a better application for the M3 than Brembo?

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0