BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

09-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

started it up to a bunch of codes, any idea?

hi guys.
so ive been driving my car for 2-3 years without any abnormal trouble, anyways, ive been daily driving it all summer, and i started it up yesterday and pulled out of the driveway and it started going wild throwing error codes like flat tire pressure monitor, dsc inactive, etc....

and said to drive carefully to bmw...any ideas, i left the car at home and took the spare but curious as i dont want to goto the dealer and be recoded and have to ship my ecu all the way back to the states (AA)

my car has all the bolt ons and AA 1.5 (or 2.0, i dunno, done about 8 months ago)...

any ideas before i goto the dealer -

thanks a lot
      09-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

--- i dont have a scanner at home, i dunno if it just went glitchy or what...
      09-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Range 2011 M3 2019 600lt

Garage List
try calling active maybe they can help you out.

Rs7 : 10.4 133.50 with a 1.7 60ft Toyo R888
F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Did you had a drop in outside temperature? This happened to me when it got really cold over night. dropped 30 degrees, the car went nuts. After a couple of cycles it went back to normal. Our engines are pretty damn sensitive...
yeah, thats exactly what i think happened...i think this is increased by the tuned ecu?

because it was a cool night, nothing radical, maybe a 15-20c drop and one day of inactivity...i started it up today, it gave all the codes and then i waited and rolled it out of the driveway and it all cleared....

thanks guys

weird as hell
      09-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Happens to my car at least once a month in the winter months... I called Dinan, and they confirmed it. We have a brilliant, but finicky engine.
thanks for the help bro
appreciate it
      09-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

I would drive to restart it again.

and if keeps on coming back unpluge the battery for like 20-30 mins let the ECU re-set

I think that will solve your problem

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Happens to my car at least once a month in the winter months... I called Dinan, and they confirmed it. We have a brilliant, but finicky engine.
Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

It went into limp mode for a reason. Sometimes this can be exacerbated if it's cold and something is not correct in the code. I'd be curious if it was a "torque monitoring" code. Any tuner that tells you this is 'normal' is grasping at straws. That's not to say that DINAN doesn't know what they are doing.

If everything is working properly, the car should NEVER throw codes. If it does, something is wrong either mechanically or electronically.

ECU's are not "reset" on these cars by disconnecting the battery like the older units were. Codes should be read and faults stored should be specifically addressed.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

You can take your car to the dealer and just say that you have some error codes and you would like to know whats the problem.mention that you need to be notified before re-flashing the ecu if they are going to do so.
Also your dealer cant detect that you are running an X tune unless your rev-limiter is raised to 8600,then that will raise some red flags !
Good Luck !
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 03:34 AM   #9
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Drives: Quick enough

It certainly sounds very strange. As IMG pointed out, have you had your RPM increased?

You might want to find a local indepedent shop to see if you can get those codes read first so at least you know what your dealing with and maybe send them to AA to see if its tune related.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #10
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Can I ask why the mention on the RPM increase being such a big issue with the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 04:15 AM   #11
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Drives: Quick enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Can I ask why the mention on the RPM increase being such a big issue with the dealer?
As it shows you are tuned, as non-tuned would not be able to reach that RPM
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #12
AJ@ESS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Did you had a drop in outside temperature? This happened to me when it got really cold over night. dropped 30 degrees, the car went nuts. After a couple of cycles it went back to normal. Our engines are pretty damn sensitive...
Did it do this with the previous Dinan tune or with the current ESS VT1 setup? This is abnormal, and most likely caused by a sensor being out of spec. I would check the error codes for the source of the problem and replace the sensor in question.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #13
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
hi guys.
so ive been driving my car for 2-3 years without any abnormal trouble, anyways, ive been daily driving it all summer, and i started it up yesterday and pulled out of the driveway and it started going wild throwing error codes like flat tire pressure monitor, dsc inactive, etc....

and said to drive carefully to bmw...any ideas, i left the car at home and took the spare but curious as i dont want to goto the dealer and be recoded and have to ship my ecu all the way back to the states (AA)

my car has all the bolt ons and AA 1.5 (or 2.0, i dunno, done about 8 months ago)...

any ideas before i goto the dealer -

thanks a lot

Feel free to PM me the codes and ill have a friend who's a headtech look into them and ill have a reply for you within an hour !

Good Luck !
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How can they see that the RPM is raised? Other than taking it for a spin and check it on the road... which is highly unlikely. Can they see that within the tune?
They cant see the tune on there computer but they can see how many times and how high your car revs,with that being said,the factory rep is the only one thats capable of pulling the Tuner code off the ECU and sending it back to HQ to confirm that its tuned before voiding your warranty !

If you have a bad sensor as AJ mentioned.That is covered under warranty,there are some items that are not affected by tunes and SCs,dont let the deal tell you different.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #15
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Evolve View Post
It certainly sounds very strange. As IMG pointed out, have you had your RPM increased?

You might want to find a local indepedent shop to see if you can get those codes read first so at least you know what your dealing with and maybe send them to AA to see if its tune related.
thanks,
nope, its at 8400

anyways, my car is catless with no codes so that pretty much gives it away.

img, i dont have a scanner but do you mean just the actual error names the car gave me?

-flat tire pressure monitor
-dsc
-start-assist
-and dbc or something like that - i had never heard of it in my life

but once i rolled out of my driveway, long driveway, it went away, isnt this weird?
      09-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #16
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
thanks,
nope, its at 8400

anyways, my car is catless with no codes so that pretty much gives it away.

img, i dont have a scanner but do you mean just the actual error names the car gave me?

-flat tire pressure monitor
-dsc
-start-assist
-and dbc or something like that - i had never heard of it in my life

but once i rolled out of my driveway, long driveway, it went away, isnt this weird?
I was looking for the error codes !

BMW is known for being notorious for having a glitch in the system but it doesn't hurt to go to the dealer and just say "ive got a couple of error msgs and just curious whats the problem"
Ask them for a print out of the errors and the ECU read !
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #17
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
There are definitely issues like these that are corrected in newer versions of the software, pushed out by BMW. Your best bet is probably to get flashed with ISTA/P v42 and then have ESS/Dinan/whoever retune your DME on that new software version to spec. This will likely fix the issue if you don't have an offending sensor.

The fact that it's multipe codes leads me to believe that a sensor went awry - something like a bad wheel speed sensor will throw faults such as these.

DBC I believe is "Dynamic Brake Control".

The car does store 'freezeframes' which contain NMAX and VMAX (highest rpm and speed attained). It will also show the length of time, the throttle position, the oil and coolant temps, kg/h, speed of the vanos, and a bunch of other data. The dealers usually can not see this info, but with my laptop I can pull it up in about 5 seconds.

Here is a shot so you can see what it looks like -

Good luck!
Attached Images

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 09-21-2011 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #18
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ@ESS View Post
Did it do this with the previous Dinan tune or with the current ESS VT1 setup? This is abnormal, and most likely caused by a sensor being out of spec. I would check the error codes for the source of the problem and replace the sensor in question.
Niqui!! Sup buddy! Long time no talk...I think I'm gonna have to agree with AJ and say one of your sensors is out of wack. Same thing happened to me. My speed sensor went out and all kinds of faults went off (DSC inactive, ABS malfuntion, Driver assist malfunction, DBC Malfuntion). All caused by faulty speed sensor. Hope this helps. BTW, congrats on your SC!! Didn't even know that you got it done!! I'll be PMing you soon....
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
They cant see the tune on there computer but they can see how many times and how high your car revs,with that being said,the factory rep is the only one thats capable of pulling the Tuner code off the ECU and sending it back to HQ to confirm that its tuned before voiding your warranty !

If you have a bad sensor as AJ mentioned.That is covered under warranty,there are some items that are not affected by tunes and SCs,dont let the deal tell you different.
I ask cause I have my rev increased, but to the best of my knowledge, I've only gone that high a couple times, 4-5 at most

Though BEFORE i had a tune, I did rev a little too high at first a couple of times.... cause I was so used to an auto that would shift for you...this was right after my 1200 mi break in and I was a n00b
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ask cause I have my rev increased, but to the best of my knowledge, I've only gone that high a couple times, 4-5 at most

Though BEFORE i had a tune, I did rev a little too high at first a couple of times.... cause I was so used to an auto that would shift for you...this was right after my 1200 mi break in and I was a n00b
It will still show that you rev over the stock limit !
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #21
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
It will still show that you rev over the stock limit !
Right right

but you can rev over the limit stock can't you?

I remember going rather high a couple times when i was stock stock

dealer never said a word..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #22
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right right

but you can rev over the limit stock can't you?

I remember going rather high a couple times when i was stock stock

dealer never said a word..
Well,you have to understand that taking your car in with a sensor issue is different than taking the car in with a blown motor or bent valves.
The dealer is not going out of there way to look if you are tuned unless the issue is related to an ECU modification.The factory rep will pull out the code and send it to Germany to verify that its a modified ECU before voiding your warranty.
So with that being said,you don't have to worry about taking your car to the dealer unless the issue is related to a Tune !
Appreciate 0