BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

How mod friendly are dealers in GTA?

Hey all,
I've got a problem. My CEL is on and when I pulled the code I got:
P2629 O2 Sensor Pumping Current Trim Circuit/Open Bank 2 Sensor 1

Which makes me sad because I got test pipes installed, so I'm thinking it might be related (even though its been running awesome for over a month).

I'm still under warranty, but I'm worried about taking it in. I know they void the warranty on parts that are modded/when modded parts caused the problem. But will they care enough to notice the pipes i've had welded on aren't stock?

So, does anyone have experience with taking their modded bmw into Budds are BMW Mississauga for warranty service that's close to a modded part?

Should I just go to an indy shop & have it fixed?

any advice is much appreciated!
      12-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Budds is pretty good mod wise, but given that you've got an O2 sensor error and test pipes installed, its pretty unlikely that they'll honour the warranty on this work. You're probably better off taking it to an indy shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzall View Post
Budds is pretty good mod wise, but given that you've got an O2 sensor error and test pipes installed, its pretty unlikely that they'll honour the warranty on this work. You're probably better off taking it to an indy shop.
Thanks man, that's what I was afraid of! Now I need to find the part on the cheap lol. So much for buying some mods this winter! I think I'll take it back to the place that did the install for me.

Now to find an 02 sensor on the cheap!
      12-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmndntKlink View Post
Thanks man, that's what I was afraid of! Now I need to find the part on the cheap lol. So much for buying some mods this winter! I think I'll take it back to the place that did the install for me.

Do you have a tune specific for not having cats? That may be the culprit not the O2 sensor itself. If you don't have a tune you will either have to live with the cel or get one!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Anyone used non OEM? Apparently they exist. Bosch apparently supplies BMW, so it should be the same, no?

I don't see any reason to spend 200$ from getbmwparts.com

http://canada.autopartswarehouse.com...T%2B0&shopId=1
      12-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Do you have a tune specific for not having cats? That may be the culprit not the O2 sensor itself. If you don't have a tune you will either have to live with the cel or get one!
yeah I'm running BPM stage 2. was/is running awesome. deletes the CEL for no cats just fine. this O2 thing is recent (ie 2 days ago). I've had the test pipes & tune for over a month. TBH I don't really get it, all I need the O2 sensor for is air/fuel ratio rit? no idea whats wrong with it. I did have issues with a rough idle & maybe some throttle things but they kinda went away so now IDK!
      12-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

No dealer is mod friendly. If you want it done for free, put oem back on. I had a bad gasket on my stock cat (where it connects to the header). I had aftermarket axle back exhaust, SA told me to put oem exhaust back on to get work done under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LRP M3 E92, MR M3 E93

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
Sometimes during programming it will get a ghost code but there is no fault but is should disappear after it fully resets.

Try clearing the faults and the adaptions. Turn it off for a few minutes and then restart.

Also did you disable the rear o2 sensor - I believe that must be done too...

Just some thoughts prior to the shop.... gl and let us know.
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gsr View Post
No dealer is mod friendly. If you want it done for free, put oem back on. I had a bad gasket on my stock cat (where it connects to the header). I had aftermarket axle back exhaust, SA told me to put oem exhaust back on to get work done under warranty.
unfortunately its welded, there is no going back lol. I wasn't comfortable with the clamp method & the kit I got used was missing turner's clamps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LRM3 View Post
Sometimes during programming it will get a ghost code but there is no fault but is should disappear after it fully resets.

Try clearing the faults and the adaptions. Turn it off for a few minutes and then restart.

Also did you disable the rear o2 sensor - I believe that must be done too...

Just some thoughts prior to the shop.... gl and let us know.
That's a good idea. I wonder if when they changed the battery and did the coding for that, it messed up the tune somehow. I know the tune is still there since the reduced cold start remains. I'll try clearing & see, then I'll try reflashing the tune. Will update with my findings!

I don't know about the rear sensors, I have the stock midpipe so the secondary cats are still there, so if the rear sensors are after the second cats, they should be fine right? Also the code is for bank 2 sensor 1, which indicates the 1st/primary sensor (@ least according to my research or some other threads on here). Also according to my research (ie THE TECH & Benvo) some/most tunes disable the secondary sensors since you only need the front ones enabled for air/fuel ratios. I don't know if BPM does this, they didn't say.

Thanks for all the help gents! Love this community
      12-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gsr View Post
^This

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
fouadk
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmndntKlink View Post

Call this # 905-820-4651. They are in Mississauga. All original BMW parts
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Update: tried clearing and it worked for about 40km then it came back. Tried reflashing BPM's software, came back in about 40km. So its definitely not the tune or some random error. I also used BPM's software to pull the codes this time and I got more detail/different codes:
1) 2749 Lambda probe Diag.via ATIC42-device VKAT Bank2
2) 274B Lambda sensor pump current assimilation error VKAT bank 2

Absolutely no idea what those mean lol. I know lambda probe=o2 sensor right? Anyone have any thoughts? Would be good to know if its definitely the o2 sensor so I can order it and replace it soon. I think I'll just do it myself, as its apparently very easy and my friend has a lift I can use.

For anyone else with this problem: I also found the cheapest option to get the exact same sensor as OEM is importing it from ebay (US seller). IT's 100$+10$shipping for the Bosch 17039 sensor (the front sensor). Don't waste time & money buying OEM, its the exact same sensor price jacked up 200%.

Best price in Canada was 250 from that place in mississauga. fouadk mentioned. They were nice guys, and they'll definitely have it if you're in a hurry.
      12-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

my suggestion to you, go to a place like Bimmersport in Mississauga, and let them diagnose it. Or any other good indy shop, with proper scanning equipment.

Its hard to troubleshoot problems like that over a forum page, and could be just a lot of wasted time.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
SumoJax
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 e93

Yes I would recommend going to Bimmersport, see Johnny he will help you out and let you know if it's something that dealer will give you a hard time with or not. Last summer I had a check engine light come on after a track day. Stopped into Bimmersport and they checked it out right away, ending up being O2 sensors that were cooked from by catless Dinan race exhaust, told me that this would not be warranty because of exhaust.
Other time I had a leak at my rear diff, I took it in to see Johnny and they advised me to go to dealer. Went to Budds and they did full warranty replacement of rear diff and also performed warranty scheduled service. The only issue is Budds wanted to charge me extra labour to remove and reinstall my ESS supercharger manifold in order to perform warranty replacement of spark plugs.

Bottom line Budds as a dealer is mod friendly
Bimmersport labour rate is much less than dealer if you want to add more toys or just perform service outside of scheduled maintenance (ie. oil, filter, brake flush etc.)

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
BESTNDA416
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ESS VT2 650 E92

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.66]
Come by euro charged they can run it for you and tell you what's wrong and what you need all at a great price 115 limestone cres Toronto 647 588 8707

EUROCHARGED CANADA
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #16
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

update: Did it myself! Pulled the codes using the torque app as well as supported by the BPM app. Clearly stated the problem was bank 2 O2 sensor 1 (driver side, bank 1 is passenger side). Mechanics wanted to spend over an hour & over 100$ to basically confirm what I already knew so I said forget it.

Bought the part on ebay (precat sensors are wideband Bosch, like a posted above). EXACTLY like OEM (which goes for 300+, best price I got was 250). Install was a breeze if you use a lift (borrowed my neighbours). You unscrew the cover plate, pull/slide out and the sensor is right there. Just use a wrench, unscrew it, unclip the connector end then reverse the process to install the new one. SUPER EASY! Probably took 10-15 minutes. The longest part was getting it up on the lift.

Saved HUNDREDS of dollars, thanks everyone for the tips!
do NOT go to any dealer. You'll end up spending 700$+ where 120$ will do. If you don't have a lift, rent one for an hour for like 60$. Ramps won't work as it you really need to be able to get in there & stand underneath so you can see. but YMMV.