BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #45
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
MDM as standard.
I seriously agree. It's called M Dynamic Mode and it's NOT ON ALL M cars???
The WORST part of the current set up is, you HAVE to buy the Nav in order to get M Dynamic Mode. Can someone explain that to me. You can't get a simple car with all the performance options unless you get Nav with the ugly double hump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
CF roof for the E90
Makes sense since the sedan roof is larger than the coupe's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelalfy1989 View Post
Personal options someone who pays 75k for an M expects a balance of luxury and spotiness. Not an honda civic with funny seats just to save weight and lose comfort and look of an M. you guys don't seem to understand European levels of luxury.

Lol typical Honda civic move you are driving an M. Treasure it for being the most comfortable sports car there is. rear seat deletion? You think a luxury brand like BMW will do this? lol funny.

very good points. Finally someone who understands BMW standards. I'm very amazed because its exactly what I want. Standard common thinks should be standard and Options should be offered. Maybe Heated steering wheel for Winters in Canada as well as hmm Heads up display for those that want a little more luxury. Not saying standard but OPTIONS.

Heads up display?

REAR VIEW CAMERA THAT A MOST ON A 75K CAR. I THINK THATS A MUST. THANK YOU
You are the new breed of M buyers... and it's REALLY sad. People like you are the reason we have M SUV's, big fat M cars and enthusiast like Sticky thinking about getting rid of their cars (I don't like HOW he said things, but his ideas are right on). You don't seem to understand the original M-Philosophy per the head of M a couple years ago in Roundel. He said an M car has to be lighter weight, so no 7 series or SUV's. It cannot have an torque converter tranny, and will have a high revving naturally aspirated motor. Now look at what we have.

A HUD is a LUXURY item? That's funny, when I drove an M5 with a HUD, it allowed me to keep my eyes on the track while still seeing what RPM I was at and what gear I was in. I guess I missed the luxury part of it.

A rear view camera is a MUST??? This is pathetic.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 09-15-2009 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #46
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Logic 7 should be standard, or at the very least an option. It's annoying to have to choose between a subpar standard system and an ultra premium $2000 stereo system. Logic 7 should be standard and the premium sound should be about $900 max as an option on top of that.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 12:45 AM   #47
m5sparky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

we deff see the members here who bought the car for the rights reasons or not by what they are saying

plus 1 on m3 getting a csl or race version m3. wish there were more options to delete also instead of to add for weight savings.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 12:58 AM   #48
Silverstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E93 M DCT SILVERSTONE

does anyone really know why they didn't release the E90 with CF roof ? I'm clueless.

Safety ?
      09-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #49
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone View Post
does anyone really know why they didn't release the E90 with CF roof ? I'm clueless.

Safety ?
Honestly, I think it was just to make the coupe the more "special" version and that's about it. Some research could have pointed them to the fact that maybe most sedan buyers would have opted for the sun-roof so why bother you know? I think it was to have a clearer differentiation between coupe and sedan. You want "luxury"? Go sedan. You want "performance" go coupe. Product management at it's best.
      09-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #50
busman76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW/Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone View Post

Safety ?

honestly I think its to justify the extra premium on the price.
      09-15-2009, 01:05 AM   #51
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelalfy1989 View Post
Personal options someone who pays 75k for an M expects a balance of luxury and spotiness. Not an honda civic with funny seats just to save weight and lose comfort and look of an M. you guys don't seem to understand European levels of luxury.

Lol typical Honda civic move you are driving an M. Treasure it for being the most comfortable sports car there is. rear seat deletion? You think a luxury brand like BMW will do this? lol funny.

very good points. Finally someone who understands BMW standards. I'm very amazed because its exactly what I want. Standard common thinks should be standard and Options should be offered. Maybe Heated steering wheel for Winters in Canada as well as hmm Heads up display for those that want a little more luxury. Not saying standard but OPTIONS.

Heads up display?

REAR VIEW CAMERA THAT A MOST ON A 75K CAR. I THINK THATS A MUST. THANK YOU
Agree with aus - If you want this stuff, Go AMG. This is why the M is so diluted. Trying to go after the MB/AMG demographics.
      09-15-2009, 01:11 AM   #52
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

Its sad when a 2010 Mustang GT comes with a Rear keyhole (intergrated into the trunk lid spoiler) camera and displays on the rear view mirror.

PDC should have been standard when you check the M-DCT option

All M3s if you check the Smart Phone Int ( Hello you picked this option cause you have the iPhone) and USB/iPOd should come with the 3G craddle and 6FL Cable!!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #53
Silverstone
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Honestly, I think it was just to make the coupe the more "special" version and that's about it. Some research could have pointed them to the fact that maybe most sedan buyers would have opted for the sun-roof so why bother you know? I think it was to have a clearer differentiation between coupe and sedan. You want "luxury"? Go sedan. You want "performance" go coupe. Product management at it's best.
Product management gets you confused sometimes and end up not sleeping the whole night thinking about what exactly it is that you want. Sedan, Convertible, Coupe...Haha...

I actually agree with a lot of what u just mentioned.

But i don't see why the Coupe has the option of a Sun-Roof and the Sedan doesnt have the option for a CF roof.
      09-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #54
Silverstone
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio///M View Post
Its sad when a 2010 Mustang GT comes with a Rear keyhole (intergrated into the trunk lid spoiler) camera and displays on the rear view mirror.

All M3s if you check the Smart Phone Int ( Hello you picked this option cause you have the iPhone) and USB/iPOd should come with the 3G craddle and 6FL Cable!!
I myself am a luxury kinda guy. I got a convertible and i know im sacrificing putting on some weight on the car. But i also got an M3 because i know for a fact that even though its the convertible, i can still turn heads and race above standard cars.

but sometimes i feel that BMW doesn't really care about throwing these little freebies that make you extra extra happy...and honestly, i think loads of people care to have them.

In all the BMWs i owned i had to say "oh man i can't believe i gotta pay for this option and order it next time i pay a visit to the service center" you never seem to get that free extra even the 7 series. there is always a gadget that is not a standard when it really should be.
      09-15-2009, 01:32 AM   #55
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

floormats and a couple of bucks for gas
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 02:33 AM   #56
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

If you had to pay a higher sticker price would you still want all these funky toys as standard? The UK M3 comes with all sorts of stuff as standard..leather idrive alarm mdm etc but we pay a higher price for it so surely the better question would be whats not available as options that should be.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 09-15-2009 at 04:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 04:29 AM   #57
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
I only wish the car was lighter. It should weigh 3100lbs, not 36xx.
Maybe your 2 seater C6 ZO6 but not a 4 door car. Not for 70 grand. Not in this decade at least.
      09-15-2009, 06:09 AM   #58
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3luvr View Post
Alarm, rear back up camera, leather and blue tooth should be standard. For this price range we should not be nickeled and dimed into paying extra for these items.
what's everyone's fixation on a rear-backup camera? is the car too big? PDC is more than adequate IMO, and having a rear-backup camera just seems like an unnecessary gizmo to me. its definitely cool, but it shouldn't be standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yervais View Post
Why do you guys want brembos? stopping distance from 60 is 100ft that is class leading... are brakes are fine... you just want brembos because they look cosmetically better...
+1...brakes could be better for track folks, but I think that the bigger issue is proper cooling. If brembos were going to be offered, it should definitely be an OPTION, not STANDARD. most people are never going to need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio///M View Post

again, what's with the obsession with the rear-view camera? i am also not following you on how PDC should be standard when DCT is selected. those have nothing to do with one another...???

agree that you should get an iPod cable standard if you select iPod integration.

a lot of good points in this thread. there are definitely two distinct groups, the purists and the "luxurists," but i think some of us are in between. i obviously don't want a totally stripped M3, but i don't want my M3 loaded down with a bunch of tech stuff that I don't need.

this is a bit OT, but my biggest complaint is with how the options are lumped into packages. i know that our overseas friends usually get to choose everything as standalone (which results in a much higher price tag), but it would be really nice to have more freedom for options here in the US. for example, it is a pity that you have to accept NAV in order to get MDM...it is also stupid that you need the premium package to get folding mirrors and homelink and, in doing so, you now give up speed cloth seats. I guess BMW NA is trying to appeal to the common denominator, but some of the groupings just suck.
      09-15-2009, 06:47 AM   #59
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Standard: Assist, Leather, Sirius, iDrive/No Nav, iPod/USB, MDM, split rear seats in the Sedan

Optional Packages: Track Package (Brembo, Performance Seats, Alcantara interior including headliner, iDrive delete, leather delete, Sirius delete, Stereo level system/HiFi delete, Cup tires in 18" forged wheels, 15hp increase, different front rear bumpers, CF roof in Sedan); if M-DCT is added to the track package include an extra Track Drivelogic setting in both manual and in automatic modes, Luxury Package (Nav, Comfort Access, PDC/Rearview Camera, Homelink), Cold Package

Stand alone options: Brembo, Full Leather (not extended), limited set of Individual options.

Dealer installed retrofits: Nav, Alarm, Brembo, Performance seats with matching leather option or the availability of the OEM hides for custom upholstery.

Raise optional equipment prices 10% to make up for additional standard equipment and cut in 40% the M3 production from now on; the days of talking about 100,000 sales in a model run are over. Two years in a row of M3 sales factory/financing subsidies in the USA are killing the resale value and image as well.

Last edited by Technic; 09-15-2009 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #60
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
...you HAVE to buy the Nav in order to get M Dynamic Mode. Can someone explain that to me. You can't get a simple car with all the performance options unless you get Nav with the ugly double hump.
I can explain: It's called a rip off - plain & simple.

If someone wanted MDM here they would HAVE TO pay E3,000 (or so) to get the entire iDrive. Nice!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #61
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Standard: Assist, Leather, Sirius, iDrive/No Nav, iPod/USB, MDM, split rear seats in the Sedan

Optional Packages: Track Package (Brembo, Performance Seats, Alcantara interior including headliner, iDrive delete, leather delete, Sirius delete, Stereo level system/HiFi delete, Cup tires in 18" forged wheels, 15hp increase, different front rear bumpers, CF roof in Sedan); if M-DCT is added to the track package include an extra Track Drivelogic setting in both manual and in automatic modes, Luxury Package (Nav, Comfort Access, PDC/Rearview Camera, Homelink), Cold Package

Stand alone options: Brembo, Full Leather (not extended), limited set of Individual options.

Dealer installed retrofits: Nav, Alarm, Brembo, Performance seats with matching leather option or the availability of the OEM hides for custom upholstery.

Raise optional equipment prices 10% to make up for additional standard equipment and cut in 40% the M3 production from now on; the days of talking about 100,000 sales in a model run are over. Two years in a row of M3 sales factory/financing subsidies in the USA are killing the resale value and image as well.

TECHNIC FOR PRESIDENT! Great post!

I like your idea for a track package. How much do you think that would run? From what you listed, probably 10k or more! They could easily get the hp gain with a performance air filter and an ECU remap. The only thing I don't like in your track package is stereo delete...I can't live without one! Maybe a new cardboard lined bootlid too? EDC definitely belongs in this package. It is a pity that this will never happen though. BMW could have pulled this off with the M3 Edition, but they failed. I wonder if we'll ever see a track or competition package M3? Maybe in the last MY?

It would be nice to have an option for privacy glass (tint) in the USA, but not sure whether they could get away with that considering all of the different tint laws.

Also, homelink should be standard equipment. Most M3s have a garage, and this is a simple and easy feature.
      09-15-2009, 09:10 AM   #62
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
TECHNIC FOR PRESIDENT! Great post!

I like your idea for a track package. How much do you think that would run? From what you listed, probably 10k or more! They could easily get the hp gain with a performance air filter and an ECU remap. The only thing I don't like in your track package is stereo delete...I can't live without one! Maybe a new cardboard lined bootlid too? EDC definitely belongs in this package. It is a pity that this will never happen though. BMW could have pulled this off with the M3 Edition, but they failed. I wonder if we'll ever see a track or competition package M3? Maybe in the last MY?

It would be nice to have an option for privacy glass (tint) in the USA, but not sure whether they could get away with that considering all of the different tint laws.

Also, homelink should be standard equipment. Most M3s have a garage, and this is a simple and easy feature.
I would say, $7000 for a manual, $10000 for the Track M-DCT would be in line with BMW pricing practices. EDC will not be included in this package, only a revised suspension with a 10mm drop and recalibrated shocks and bushings. A radio will be included, but it will be the Stereo system (6-speakers, no external amp). I would eliminate the rear speakers as well.

This should be a back to basics M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #63
shpritz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp Cabriolet

HUD
Rear and Front Camera
How about just being able to turn the heater/ac fan off with a simple on/off button
Dual controls on the heater over ride for the driver. Control both right and left temps with left control only .
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #64
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

1. Night vision. Obviously Nav (or just iDrive) would be a prerequisite.

2. The option of plain (not electric) seats if they save weight.

3. Instead of the sunshade option, I'd like to be able to buy the M3 (in the USA) with rear and side windows already tinted at the factory.

4. On a car of this price the alarm should be installed at the factory as standard.

5. Bluetooth should be standard.

I don't think a backup camera, or even PDC for that matter, is really needed on the M3. But it is still nice to have the option I suppose.

Maybe we should be grateful for the things the M3 doesn't come with:

o That flower holder thingy like the VW bug has.

o CB radio

o Fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror

o Bull horns on top of the kidney grills

o A big-ass wing on the back
      09-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #65
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

One other thing, brake ducts in front would be a good thing. This should be standard!
      09-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #66
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
what's everyone's fixation on a rear-backup camera? is the car too big? PDC is more than adequate IMO, and having a rear-backup camera just seems like an unnecessary gizmo to me. its definitely cool, but it shouldn't be standard.

+1...brakes could be better for track folks, but I think that the bigger issue is proper cooling. If brembos were going to be offered, it should definitely be an OPTION, not STANDARD. most people are never going to need them.

again, what's with the obsession with the rear-view camera? i am also not following you on how PDC should be standard when DCT is selected. those have nothing to do with one another...???

agree that you should get an iPod cable standard if you select iPod integration.

a lot of good points in this thread. there are definitely two distinct groups, the purists and the "luxurists," but i think some of us are in between. i obviously don't want a totally stripped M3, but i don't want my M3 loaded down with a bunch of tech stuff that I don't need.

this is a bit OT, but my biggest complaint is with how the options are lumped into packages. i know that our overseas friends usually get to choose everything as standalone (which results in a much higher price tag), but it would be really nice to have more freedom for options here in the US. for example, it is a pity that you have to accept NAV in order to get MDM...it is also stupid that you need the premium package to get folding mirrors and homelink and, in doing so, you now give up speed cloth seats. I guess BMW NA is trying to appeal to the common denominator, but some of the groupings just suck.
Thank you sir. Finally someone gets it.

I think the obsession with the camera's is for people CAN'T DRIVE FOR CRAP.

Technic''s ideas are a good start, but iDrive should not be standard. I have no use for it and think it's ugly and it doesn't add any performance capability to the car.

Brake ducting should be preparded for so you can just snap on some Performance ducts to the rotors.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0