BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

09-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #45
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Pricing is too close to the GT3 for me to take the Black Series cars seriously. I remember the SL version was a huge flop and the SLK and CLK versions had a terrible auto (I drove the SLK BS for about 4 hours a few weeks after it released). They don't seem to go far enough given that they are meant to be the extreme arm of AMG.

Now, this car is the best one of the range yet, but more weight savings for a pure two seater and a unique gearbox would be needed for me to justify the price. Similar to how the M3 GTS which was priced in an area it couldn't compete (GT3). The CSL was priced much more sensibly.

That said, it is a very nice car. Most important of all though, the only person who needs to find the price justified is the buyer.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #46
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Cars for people like us are ALWAYS about emotion. If it was about facts and logic then we'd all have a GTR for the ultimate performer for the price and a Toyota or Honda for a DD. Everything else would be illogical.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #47
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
Pricing is too close to the GT3 for me to take the Black Series cars seriously. I remember the SL version was a huge flop and the SLK and CLK versions had a terrible auto (I drove the SLK BS for about 4 hours a few weeks after it released). They don't seem to go far enough given that they are meant to be the extreme arm of AMG.

Now, this car is the best one of the range yet, but more weight savings for a pure two seater and a unique gearbox would be needed for me to justify the price. Similar to how the M3 GTS which was priced in an area it couldn't compete (GT3). The CSL was priced much more sensibly.

That said, it is a very nice car. Most important of all though, the only person who needs to find the price justified is the buyer.

Good post. That C63 AMG Black Series is a monster, but at that price point, it ends up being a very personal decision--what the buyer really "wants." Personally, for that kind of money, I'm getting a used 997 GT3 RS.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #48
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel View Post
120k to listen to it?
The old GTR jumped to 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and did the quarter mile in approximately 11.8. You can buy those for 65k -thats half the price.
The new GTR ?
0-60: 2.9
11.2 quarter

The GTR brand friggin new is lower cost, faster, looks better and sounds just as good if not better.

IMOP....

I understand what you're saying.. but a GTR isn't even comparable to a Black. The BS will always be a BS 5-10 years from now. And the GT-R will be sitting in a dump. There are still a ton of people who love the old CLK Black. And they are still demanding a premium.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #49
Techjunkie666
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5D SAV

Hello,
So I finally went to the dealership to test drive the C63 AMG Black series and the 507. The black series was in the showroom and the 507 was outside. Gotta say, the Black series is a unique and stunting car up close. It looks, sounds and drives like a beast!

The C63 AMG 507 was not bad either. Sounded awesome and drove like a dream. A real torque monster! The exhaust note was more of a rumble as compared to the stock E9x Exhaust. I wish BMW did a better job with the stock exhaust. The interior of both cars looked fresh and more updated then BMW.

I also drove a normal AMG (not really normal at all!) and that had a great exhaust note and crazy fast! Love the handling and the power comes on really nice.

So my final impressions were that the C63 AMG Black Series is a true track car that could be a DD but I think its waste to get it as a DD. At that price range, I would rather look at a DB9, R8 or a Porsche too.

The C63 AMG 507 edition is not that far from the Black Series and this could be a daily driver too. It had the Race start that I didn't get to play with.

The regular C63 AMG was bad a$$ too! Although I didn't care for the steering feel. Felt dull and not connected as I felt with my M3.

In the end, I told the dealer I will sleep on it and decide if I want the C63 507 or the Black Series but when I got in my M3 and drove home, I actually like that better! Maybe I am biased or maybe the M3 truly is a better car.

But I have decided to take a day or two to think about it and maybe even go test drive some other cars. I have an appt with Mike Benvo tomorrow for a Tune and code, maybe I will like the M3 a lot more and wont miss the low end torque the C63 offers. Who knows!

I appreciate all your comments and support. I will keep you all posted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #50
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

OMG that BS is a beast.... I think if you're ready to spend $120k, buy the BS and drive it for a couple of years. I don't think it will depreciate anywhere near the regular C63's so your resale will be great since it'll always be a limited production car/demand will always exist.
Then you could jump into an R8 or DB9 which will have depreciated at least a solid 20% over current prices.
GL and do test out some other cars! It's not very often we go car shopping anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #51
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Damn that last shot of the Black is money.

Fifth gear did a gt3 vs gts and the porsche won by a second around the given track. They said if you want speed get the gt3 if you want handling get the gts. Wow!

They also did a gts vs black and the black ousted it by a hair. I would say the black in the hands of a good driver is almost as good if not just as good as the gt3. All three shine the way they were meant to. But bmw/merc have an edge in everyday liveability. Although i wouldnt mind being uncomfortable everyday in a gt3
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #52
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
Cars for people like us are ALWAYS about emotion. If it was about facts and logic then we'd all have a GTR for the ultimate performer for the price and a Toyota or Honda for a DD. Everything else would be illogical.
Ah, not true, as a Financial Planner, I do not buy investments based on emotion nor do I buy cars on emotion. That is why I believe the BMW M3 is best of both worlds and why I own it. We have the performance and the DD all wrapped up in one. Best of all we get it for a steal deal $$$ - if we buy it used w/low miles! I read or heard something once about the M3 before I test drove it, it went something like this: The BMW M3 may not be the best in any one category, but it comes in a close second in every category....I would call that a logical purchase...

Good move OP....test drive
I'm not saying its not a badass car -it is- but for that price, you can get more.
Good luck and keep us posted!
First test drive the GT3, then GTR...lol

Last edited by Cool Steel; 09-09-2013 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #53
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
Ah, not true, as a Financial Planner, I do not buy investments based on emotion nor do I buy cars on emotion. That is why I believe the BMW M3 is best of both worlds and why I own it. We have the performance and the DD all wrapped up in one. Best of all we get it for a steal deal $$$ - if we buy it used w/low miles! I read or heard something once about the M3 before I test drove it, it went something like this: The BMW M3 may not be the best in any one category, but it comes in a close second in every category....I would call that a logical purchase...

Good move OP....test drive
I'm not saying its not a badass car -it is- but for that price, you can get more.
Good luck and keep us posted!
First test drive the GT3, then GTR...lol
What more could you get at that price? Thats like saying you should have gotten a corvette instead of your m3 at that price or for LESS!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #54
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Meh... the 507 is just a regular C63 with more output and ugly wheels. That BS is something special. I'm sure that BS will find a good home
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #55
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Dam that White one is a Beauty.
      09-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #56
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

I kept watching c63 black series on youtube for the last couple of night necause of you OP.

My next car.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #57
Techjunkie666
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry dude. I was watching the video now lol.

It is a beast, no doubt but I am test driving other cars too. Going to drive a GTR Black Edition today. Can't find a local GT3 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I kept watching c63 black series on youtube for the last couple of night necause of you OP.

My next car.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #58
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techjunkie666 View Post
Sorry dude. I was watching the video now lol.

It is a beast, no doubt but I am test driving other cars too. Going to drive a GTR Black Edition today. Can't find a local GT3 yet.
IMO GTR is the way to go for sure, the MB AMG cant perform like the GTR and the GTR is super easy to mod, thing is a MoNsTeR!
      09-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #59
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
IMO GTR is the way to go for sure, the MB AMG cant perform like the GTR and the GTR is super easy to mod, thing is a MoNsTeR!
don't know how many of you were into the r32/33/34 skylines back in the day - yes they are BEASTMODE cars, but I''m over it. Will never go back to japanese cars personally.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #60
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

If you don't buy that C63BS your a _____. That thing is absolutely amazing... and in white!

I've never seen one that didn't have a big spoiler on the back either. Every time I see a C63 Black I become aware of my covetous nature.

Do it!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #61
Techjunkie666
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post

If you don't buy that C63BS your a SMART GUY. That thing is absolutely amazing... and in white!

I've never seen one that didn't have a big spoiler on the back either. Every time I see a C63 Black I become aware of my covetous nature.

Do it!!
I know what you mean. Believe me! I want it to but before spending that amount of money I want to be sure I am getting the best.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #62
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #63
Cyrax91
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80 M3

The black series is goregous!!! I went from an e92 M3 to a "normal" C63 AMG. I miss things about the M, but man as a DD the C63 is a blast. Super low end torque, great engine and exhaust sound, and pulls like no other. I dont regret the switch. Id still say I am a big BMW and M fan, but until the M3/M4 come out ill stick with the Merc. Go with the Black Series!
      09-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #64
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep

God man get a GTR, baddest car you can have at almost Any Cost! just go on to Youtube and watch PLEASE! most amazing car you can get.
      09-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #65
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Check out the GTR and 991 C2S. Then make a decision. Both will be slightly north of 100. the BS is sick... I've never seen one on the road. I see more 991 C2S' than M3s on the north shore of long island.

My personal opinion, unless you need stick get the black!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #66
andeee05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

i love my m3 but the c63 black series
Appreciate 0