BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Ticking Noise When Turning - Service Bulletin?

I'm taking my car in tomorrow morning for scheduled service, to have my window adjusted so it seals, and fix the ticking noise during turning. I thought I remembered seeing something on here about it being a known issue with a plate around the rotor area. So, rather than try to explain the problem, and hope the service tech knows what I'm talking about, I'd rather give them the bulletin number or at least know that there is one so they'll know what to look for. If anyone could shed some light on the situation, it would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 SSII F82 ZCP

Are you talking about the limited slip differential ticking? Cause that has kinda been beaten to death. Apparently all cars with LSD have it and it's normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
For everyone who experiences this noise and has it quieted with a diff fluid additive, don't be surprised if the noise comes back. To some extent, it is the clutch packs in the LSD doing what they are designed to do. The noise is not indicative of any damage being done, and you can ignore it indefinitely.

Many will never hear it because they don't routinely make prolonged tight turns at low speeds (e.g. looping up or down in a multi-deck parking garage or as in the diagram above).

This noise is relatively common in all autos equipped with LSD and large tires. The LSD clutch packs are there to allow the inner tire to barely rotate, while the outer tire is rotating at a much greater relative rate. In tight turns at higher speeds, the relative difference in wheel rotation between inner and outer tires is minimal.

Here's the thread I got that from but there's many more, just do a quick search.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4968835
      04-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
SS32
Major
Rep

No, I'm talking about the ticking noise that comes from the driver's side front wheel under hard turning.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=noise
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, sorry haha. Yeah I have no idea. That's actually the first thread I've seen on that subject. But if you get an answer from your dealer that's somewhat general (ie. shocks, struts, caliper, etc) can you post it or PM me? I have the exact same issue on my g35. Under hard turning I get this ridiculously annoying ticking noise that just gives you that guttural sadness from within. Like you just know something is bad, haha. I've gotten it checked out three times already and no one has been able to figure it out.. so if your answer isn't something 100% BMW related let me know ya?
      04-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
SS32
Major
Rep

I know I've read on here that it's nothing serious and that BMW knows about it, I just can't find it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

i've had this same problem, but only when hard turning on the track. i talked to a friend of mine that's a bmw master tech and he's told me it's nothing serious and not to worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

Would you PLEASE get an answer and let us know? I'm sure its nothing to worry about at all but it'll bother me 'till BMW says it shouldn't. Here are the threads that I've found on the issue.

Peter

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158877
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146591
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154763
      04-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Mine's getting worse. i can hear it under moderate turning now.
      04-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
ZorroSoBe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 6MT

it's your turn signal ;-)

BREAK FREE FROM IT'S SHACKLES, THINK FOR YOURSELF.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
SS32
Major
Rep

When I dropped the car off this morning, I took the head tech guy for a ride to let him hear the noise. He said he thought he heard it and thought it might be a heat shield coming loose. I just called and he was test driving it, but I'm not sure if it was to listen for the noise or because they were done. I'll post the work they did when I pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
When I dropped the car off this morning, I took the head tech guy for a ride to let him hear the noise. He said he thought he heard it and thought it might be a heat shield coming loose. I just called and he was test driving it, but I'm not sure if it was to listen for the noise or because they were done. I'll post the work they did when I pick it up.
Thank you! Keep us updated.
      04-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
SS32
Major
Rep

They think they have the noise fixed. they said it was gravel stuck in something, but I'm not sure that's what was causing it; it was too regular to be gravel, but we'll see... they're going to keep it overnight to fix the window....

Last edited by SS32; 04-30-2009 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #13
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the update. Please let us know if their efforts did eliminate the noise. Thanks!
      04-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #14
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

might be slightly off topic but I had a noise from the right rear area of my car making clunking noises and I also thought it was the normal differential noises. I am glad I had it checked, as it turns out to be a rock stuck between the caliper and rotor heat shield. When in doubt asking never hurts. SS32 thanks for the update any info helps!
      05-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #15
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
My car has been to the dealer THREE TIMES for the issue. They have replaced the wheel bearings twice. It's still happening and its driving me freaking NUTS! Once they replace the bearings, clean the hubs, and replace the bolts, the noise goes away for about 1000 miles or so.

I'm bringing it in AGAIN and for the FORTH time and they said they are going to replace the rotors this time. I'm really upset with BMW that they have not repurchased my car considering the insane amount of problems I've had with it.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 02:14 AM   #16
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
My car has been to the dealer THREE TIMES for the issue. They have replaced the wheel bearings twice. It's still happening and its driving me freaking NUTS! Once they replace the bearings, clean the hubs, and replace the bolts, the noise goes away for about 1000 miles or so.

I'm bringing it in AGAIN and for the FORTH time and they said they are going to replace the rotors this time. I'm really upset with BMW that they have not repurchased my car considering the insane amount of problems I've had with it.
Dude. How many threads are you going to post this in? One is more than enough.
      05-01-2009, 03:29 AM   #17
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaiyashi View Post
Dude. How many threads are you going to post this in? One is more than enough.
I'll post it in as many threads as I want that pertain to this specific issue. That way people can be informed of BMW's actions in response to this defect.

If you have a problem with that, close your eyes. No one is forcing you to read my post. Hopefully your next post will contain something meaningful to contribute.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 05-01-2009 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #18
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
I'll post it in as many threads as I want that pertain to this specific issue. That way people can be informed BMW's actions in response to this defect.

If you have a problem with that, close your eyes. No one is forcing you to read my post. Hopefully your next post will contain something meaningful to contribute.
While I don't want this to turn into a war or threadjack too much, sadly I'm not man enough to take the high road so I'll just say this and nothing more, promise.

Your logic is totally indefensible. First, yes, while no one is "forcing" me to read each thread you -- for lack of a better word -- spam with that same sophomoric post, by posting it in several different threads (even those from over a year ago!) you reactivate each thread. That leads people like me to believe there is something new on that issue and re-investigate the thread only to fine your post over and over and over again in each thread. How is that helpful to the discussion? If you had simply started 5 new threads entitled "Mike Benvo's complaints," I'd know not to click on those. Much harder to avoid when you post in already existing threads.

Second, your rationale -- you're spamming so "people can be informed BMW's actions in response to this defect" -- would suggest that everyone should post their response/observations in each of the threads potentially relevant to this issue to ensure that people are informed. Surely you'd agree that it makes more sense for there just to be ONE thread on the issue instead of numerous duplicative ones. That is, after all, why we have the emoticon.

Third, I do not believe that anyone has stated this "defect" is in anyway harmful. In fact, in every thread I have read, people have stated the exact opposite; that this noise is simply an annoyance. Forget the fact that you appear on a quest to have the dealership rebuild your car (that's totally your choice), if you are going to advance the conversation, you could at least explain why you and/or the dealership believe this is a "defect" that is worth expending significant time and resources to address. THAT would be very useful

Fourth, and finally, I apologize if you took my initial message as a personal attack, it was not intended to be as such. However, I enjoy reading and learning from this forum and, as a member, would like to ensure it continues to be a valuable resource. Though I could "close my eyes" and watch it denigrate into something far less useful and far more annoying, I choose the opposite. ()

And now, back to the thread...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I'm going to take the high road here and just say whatever to the novel you wrote above, even though I do disagree with some of your points of contention. A "flame war" (for lack of a better term) is the last thing I want to get into here. Hence the reason why I stopped going to the fourms awhile ago. People like to argue about nothing - and I don't have the patience nor the time.

Let's just say that the noise is so loud on my car that I can hear it with the radio on and with the windows up.

I can feel the vibrations from this noise comming through the chasis.

Furthermore, the car feels much less stable when it makes this noise through turns. It's sort of a handling threshold indicator. To me, that's the very definition of a defect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaiyashi View Post
While I don't want this to turn into a war or threadjack too much, sadly I'm not man enough to take the high road so I'll just say this and nothing more, promise.

Your logic is totally indefensible. First, yes, while no one is "forcing" me to read each thread you -- for lack of a better word -- spam with that same sophomoric post, by posting it in several different threads (even those from over a year ago!) you reactivate each thread. That leads people like me to believe there is something new on that issue and re-investigate the thread only to fine your post over and over and over again in each thread. How is that helpful to the discussion? If you had simply started 5 new threads entitled "Mike Benvo's complaints," I'd know not to click on those. Much harder to avoid when you post in already existing threads.

Second, your rationale -- you're spamming so "people can be informed BMW's actions in response to this defect" -- would suggest that everyone should post their response/observations in each of the threads potentially relevant to this issue to ensure that people are informed. Surely you'd agree that it makes more sense for there just to be ONE thread on the issue instead of numerous duplicative ones. That is, after all, why we have the emoticon.

Third, I do not believe that anyone has stated this "defect" is in anyway harmful. In fact, in every thread I have read, people have stated the exact opposite; that this noise is simply an annoyance. Forget the fact that you appear on a quest to have the dealership rebuild your car (that's totally your choice), if you are going to advance the conversation, you could at least explain why you and/or the dealership believe this is a "defect" that is worth expending significant time and resources to address. THAT would be very useful

Fourth, and finally, I apologize if you took my initial message as a personal attack, it was not intended to be as such. However, I enjoy reading and learning from this forum and, as a member, would like to ensure it continues to be a valuable resource. Though I could "close my eyes" and watch it denigrate into something far less useful and far more annoying, I choose the opposite. ()

And now, back to the thread...

Last edited by BPMSport; 05-01-2009 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #20
thooooorgal
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 = delivery feb 2008

Perhaps you have a problem more important than the 'usual ticking noise'.

I have this noise since the beginning, but i don t care anymore. My car has over 20'000 miles, my garage has look twice but was not able to clear this problem.

But it does NOT change anything in the handling .... it is just a ticking noise, it comes from both front left and right under 'moderate to hard' cornering .... that's all.

If you have handling problem .... go back again to your garage to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #21
blackbird88
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46

personally i think its dirt of malfunction of the cv joint on the axle. Check boots for tears or try just replacing the axle joint.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #22
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird88 View Post
personally i think its dirt of malfunction of the cv joint on the axle. Check boots for tears or try just replacing the axle joint.

Thanks, I'll relay that to the dealer.

Appreciate 0