BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

02-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #23
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Well there is an option in iDrive to enable audible confirmation (in addition to the turn indicator flashes) when the car is locked and the imobiliser is engaged . Secondly, when the imobiliser is engaged, there is a small red light flashing (hanging below the central mirror) so people know something is there! So even without an alarm, the engagement of the immobiliser sounds and flshes as if the car is alarmed.

Therefore I don't see why you need an alarm for the M3 and why my conclusions are wrong...
how can you have audible confirmation without having a speaker/siren to make the noise? maybe our car specs are different, but my idrive never had that option until the alarm was coded, and my car didn't physically have that capability until the siren was installed in the wheel well.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #24
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
Insurance companies give discounts to people with alarms for one reason ... They have STATISTICS that show a car with an alarm is less likely to be vandalised/stolen/broken into.

I agree that a determined thief will not be deterred but it will definately be enough to substantiate having the alarm.

I personally would not want anyone playing around with my M3 for an aftermarket alarm. The Factory alarm is extremely good and Im glad it came with it!
As previously mentioned, the M3 without an alarm (with the factory immobiliser) sounds and looks as if it has an alarm! So people think it is alarmed, even if it is not.

On the issue of insurances, my insurance never asked if my M3 (or any other previous cars I owned) are alarmed. Maybe its my issurance though...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #25
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
how can you have audible confirmation without having a speaker/siren to make the noise? maybe our car specs are different, but my idrive never had that option until the alarm was coded, and my car didn't physically have that capability until the siren was installed in the wheel well.
There is no siren, but there is something like a buzzer or something like that, which is loud enough for this purpose (audible confirmation). I will take a pic of the iDrive menu for you showing the option to enable the audible sound when locking / unlocking.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #26
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle27 View Post
New to the forum and M3 owner here.

I just got off the phone w/ the dealer, and there is no alarm available for the car! They don't even have an ETA as to when one would be available, but they did offer to install a LoJack system.

Anyone have an aftermarket alarm installed? Any thoughts about LoJack? I really want a system that disables the car. (Sounds shady, but I wouldn't be too excited about getting it back after they've beaten the crap out of the car!). Any recommendation for installers in So Cal?

Thanks.
If I'm reading this bulletin correctly... the OEM Alarm will be discontinued, it is not currently discontinued. Production cutoff date is from 03/09-on, in other words from next month on.

Therefore, any MY2009 produced up to the end of this month can install the current OEM Alarm.

So you can install the current OEM Alarm if your car was already produced, it is just that that particular dealer is not stocking or cannot order any anymore until further notice from BMW. But you can get the OEM Alarm elsewhere if in stock...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #27
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Quote:
I will take a pic of the iDrive menu for you showing the option to enable the audible sound when locking / unlocking.
Actually if you look at page 31 of the manual (or pg 33 of the pdf manual - http://www.m3post.com/goodiesforyou/e92-m3-manual.PDF) you will see the relevant iDrive menu I was refering to.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #28
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually if you look at page 31 of the manual (or pg 33 of the pdf manual - http://www.m3post.com/goodiesforyou/e92-m3-manual.PDF) you will see the relevant iDrive menu I was refering to.
i know which selection you are referring too...i just never had it until my alarm was coded and software upgraded.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #29
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
i know which selection you are referring too...i just never had it until my alarm was coded and software upgraded.
It's quite easy. Alarm system is part of the M3's standard equipment in Greece.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #30
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post

Best regards, south
i had that feeling in post #23. figured that it was standard equipment. do you know every country's M3 specs, south?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #31
southlight
Rep

Just know where to look up.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #32
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Don't know what's the reason behind that move but it seems to be true:

Best regards, south
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
If I'm reading this bulletin correctly... the OEM Alarm will be discontinued, it is not currently discontinued. Production cutoff date is from 03/09-on, in other words from next month on.

Therefore, any MY2009 produced up to the end of this month can install the current OEM Alarm.

So you can install the current OEM Alarm if your car was already produced, it is just that that particular dealer is not stocking or cannot order any anymore until further notice from BMW. But you can get the OEM Alarm elsewhere if in stock...

So do we have a definitve answer on the "timing" of the alarm issue? My E93 should be going into production soon. We have an accepted order number with its time table based upon a request for delivery around the end of March (break in miles in Bavaria while the weather imrpoves for the top to go down).

So mine will most likely go into production around the beginning of March, give or take. Do we know what is sp "special" about the date? Am I missing out on anything +/- a few days? I was not initially planning on the alarm, but this latest development is now bugging me1
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #33
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

i think your conclusions are wrong.
From experience (..personal and professional), I consider his conclusions to be appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #34
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
So do we have a definitve answer on the "timing" of the alarm issue? My E93 should be going into production soon. We have an accepted order number with its time table based upon a request for delivery around the end of March (break in miles in Bavaria while the weather imrpoves for the top to go down).

So mine will most likely go into production around the beginning of March, give or take. Do we know what is sp "special" about the date? Am I missing out on anything +/- a few days? I was not initially planning on the alarm, but this latest development is now bugging me1
That will be 03/09 in BMW terms of production, so your vehicle will be affected according to the bulletin posted.

My guess is that the introduction of the MY2010 5 Series with the new iDrive beginning in 03/09 could have something to do about this alarm being discontinued at the same time for the 3 Series. Perhaps a completely new alarm integration with iDrive for the 5 Series that also will apply to the 3 Series -that most probably required a new software implementation not compatible with the current alarm- is the reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #35
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
an alarm is a deterent. sure, it is not going to prevent your car from getting stolen, but if someone is looking to steal a car, wouldn't they prefer to steal one without an alarm? also, if they are stealing it in a highly populated area, an alarm is going to draw attention, which a criminal doesn't want or need. yes, a true professional could probably defeat a BMW pretty easily. but not all car thieves are true professionals.

my main motivator in getting an alarm is to have audible confirmation that the car is locked or unlocked. there is something about having that chirp that gives reassurance.

i think your conclusions are wrong.
Ok, so i'm a thief, walking down the street; on one side of the street there is an M3 with a red flashing LED inside it. One the other side of the street there is another M3 with a red flashing LED inside it. How will i ever know which one has an alarm and which one simply has it's factory immobilizer engaged?

The fact is that if i'm a thief walking down the street with the tools needed to steal a car in my pockets, i'm going to take a car that i'm familiar with. That M3 is too risky for my liking, i'll go take that 92 Camaro or Civic. At least with those i know if there is a red LED light flashing it's got an alarm. (yes, in these cars it would be a deterrent, this is also the segment of autos that the insurance companies get their statistics, not $65k cars)

Now, on the other hand, if i'm a thief looking to steal an M3 the odds are that i'm driving a flat bed with a few locations in mind where i've seen M3s left unattended in an area in which i can get my flat bed. And what a better time than now to drag away new BMWs with a flat bed truck. Most anyone now a days would believe that a new BMW is being repossessed.

Also, i don't know about the E92 as mine isn't State side for another few weeks, but my E46 M3's door locks are just as loud as any alarm chirp i've had, that with the lights flashing sure looks like it's got an alarm, especially when you factor in the red LED on the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 02:29 AM   #36
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
From experience (..personal and professional), I consider his conclusions to be appropriate.
are you a car thief???

i guess we all see it differently then...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 03:38 AM   #37
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Quote:

Best regards, south
Quote:
i had that feeling in post #23. figured that it was standard equipment. do you know every country's M3 specs, south?
Nope, I specifically asked the dealer and he said no alarm as std (and I didn't add it as an extra) - only the immobiliser is std (of course).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 04:02 AM   #38
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope, I specifically asked the dealer and he said no alarm as std (and I didn't add it as an extra) - only the immobiliser is std (of course).
well now i am certainly confused.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 04:27 AM   #39
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Quote:
well now i am certainly confused.
Why is that so?

Please note that my car is an 08 production (delivered in June '08), at the time the OEM alarm was available if my memory serves me well. But I will check the list of options I was given then and I will get back to you for sure on this.

Last edited by gr8000; 02-06-2009 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #40
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Why is that so?

Please note that my car is an 08 production (delivered in June '08), at the time the OEM alarm was available if my memory serves me well. But I will check the list of options I was given then and I will get back to you for sure on this.
I'm quite sure. It is standard equipment on the 2009 M3 sedan and it was standard for the 2008 M3 Cabrio, so I guess it's not different for the Coupe.
Search for Code 302, "Σύστημα συναγερμού".

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #41
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm quite sure. It is standard equipment on the 2009 M3 sedan and it was standard for the 2008 M3 Cabrio, so I guess it's not different for the Coupe.
Search for Code 302, "Σύστημα συναγερμού".

Best regards, south
That's right - just checked.
PS. Congrats on your Greek south!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #42
southlight
Rep

Quote:
That's right - just checked.
PS. Congrats on your Greek south!
Always knew ancient Greek would be helpful one day...

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #43
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #44
Dan73