BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Talking NOW I love my car

I took delivery 4 weeks ago and have been driving mostly in EDC "normal" believing the technology would provide the best of both worlds. Well I thought there was something wrong with my car or with me- it was good but not really great. My concerns where:

--- Every bump seemed different in terms of the cars response. The car seemed to twist side to side and the force of a large bump seemed to linger and move the whole car .

--- Initial turn in gave alot of roll and then less so as the turn progressed.

---Braking seemed hard to modulate at low speeds-I could not stop in a linear fashion- I thought I was lame.

---The force of the steering at either setting just didnt seem to match how the car turned in response to steering input.

In short I was underwhelmed with the feel of the car- I figured it must be me and then.... I changed EDC to sport and everything improved drastically!!

Much less initial bodyroll entering turns, linear brake feel, bumps come and go very quickly and the body itself seems much less effected, and everything feels cut from the same cloth-the weight of the steering seems directtly reated to how the car is turning- it feels ike all the controls and responses have been calibrated to work together perfectly- it's now the car I've read so much about.

To be clear this is not about driving at 9/10 ths- it's the feel in routine around town driving that is most profoundly improved and the fatser I go the better it feels.

I know these things are a matter of preference BUT it's hard for me to believe these things are a matter of taste. I implore anyone who has not driven in EDC sport to try it ASAP.

I think EDC that varies is not ready for prime time!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I am glad that you found a solution for yourself, but I pretty much disagree with most of what you said about EDC normal. The car performs the best (by objective measures) at that setting, and that statement is from the x US M brand manager. The car does not utilize the entire operational range of the dampers when stuck in sport mode (according to him 75% of max possible damping is used).

I've been going back and forth on the track between normal and sport and I can conclude for myself that sport does not result in a performance increase of any kind. It does make the car bounce around more, and some might like that. Some might find it more predictable. But again, EDC normal is pretty much the way to go if you want performance unless you want to go with a dedicated setup and throw away the stock springs and shocks.

They wouldn't have released it with EDC if it wasn't ready for prime time...
      05-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
On a smooth road or track, Sport can be excellent; however, when you throw in curbs, downhill compressions, threshhold braking and small jumps, then the Normal setting is fastest.

I've got a great corner that I take regularly that demonstrates the superiority clearly. It's an interstate ramp with two expansion joint connection that are uneven. In Sport, at 80 mph and above, the car gets unsettled as you corner and go over the bumps at the same time. In the Normal setting the car stays solid and stable.

Dave

Last edited by dcstep; 05-25-2009 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

I belive what you say but for me it's a matter of FEEL and EDC normal just does not feel right to me in spirited around town driving. But then I don't drive the way you describe. I guess it's llike a stereo that sounds more agile and lifelike at average volumes as compared to a system that can blow your walls down. For music and driving both I prefer the former.

Could my EDC be malfunctioning?- it feels much more stable in sport-!?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
I belive what you say but for me it's a matter of FEEL and EDC normal just does not feel right to me in spirited around town driving. But then I don't drive the way you describe. I guess it's llike a stereo that sounds more agile and lifelike at average volumes as compared to a system that can blow your walls down. For music and driving both I prefer the former.

Well, I guess you could have your suspension checked out. They'll do it for free.

But, I hear you. In Sport mode, the car does feel more "sporty". You get more road "feel". I agree with that. I put it in sport and enjoy that every now and then. That's what I meant by the car bouncing around more. What I am saying is that that is not necessarily a good thing from a performance perspective. Hey, if that is what delivers you a more fulfilling driving experience for whatever reason, who cares I guess.
      05-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:

I doubt that you EDC is malfunctioning. What car did you come from. I suspect that has a lot to do with it. If your prior car was tightly sprung, then the initial softness of EDC may be disconcerting.

I'm amazed that I can go over moderate speedbumps without slowing. In my old lowered Mustang with Eibachs and Tokiko shocks, I'd be through the roof.

Find a corner with bumps that you can take at a brisk but confident speed. (Go fast enough that the car can unsettle a little). The Sport setting is more likely to step out vs. the Normal setting. See if that doesn't reveal the pluses of the Normal setting. IF the car is unsettled in Normal, then you may have a problem.

Dave
      05-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It took you four weeks to try EDC in sport setting?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Range 2011 M3 2019 600lt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
On a smooth road or track, Sport can be excellent; however, when you throw in curbs, downhill compressions, threshhold braking and small jumps, then the Normal setting is fastest.

I've got a great corner that I take regularly that demonstrates the superiority clearly. It's an interstate ramp with two expansion joint connection that are uneven. In Sport, at 80 mph and above, the car gets unsettled as you corner and go over the bumps at the same time. In the Normal setting the car stays solid and stable.

Dave
i agree with you Dave...I have done the same thing on off ramps and noticed that normal make the car sits better on the road. Also in Normal mode i feel like you have soo much more control than in sport. For one reason i say this because i took a off ramp on normal went 75-80 mph. The next time i took it in sport i went 65-70mph and i felt like the body was shaking too much and didn't like it much. OP it all about how you like it.

Rs7 : 10.4 133.50 with a 1.7 60ft Toyo R888
F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #9
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Take a bump at a relatively high lateral load in a corner. Notice if the rear steps sideways a little in Sport mode. Take the same bump at the same speed in Normal and see if the rear doesn't stay or track, or at least reduce its stepout. This was the decision maker for me.

Dave
      05-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
ssemerod
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92

they certainly released dct before it was ready for prime time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

True, but EDC is simpler to implement than DCT, and has been around for a long time. Other M cars have had it for years...
      05-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Yes, this is NOT a DTC thread, it's an EDC thread.

Dave
      05-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I agree with the guys who says the normal mode is the way to go. I can see if you have perfectly smooth roads where you live that sport mode would be great but other than that, the car does get a little too bouncy in sport mode. I also agree that the OP previous cars may have a lot to do with his opinion of the normal and sport mode.
      05-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I am glad that you found a solution for yourself, but I pretty much disagree with most of what you said about EDC normal. The car performs the best (by objective measures) at that setting, and that statement is from the x US M brand manager. The car does not utilize the entire operational range of the dampers when stuck in sport mode (according to him 75% of max possible damping is used).

I've been going back and forth on the track between normal and sport and I can conclude for myself that sport does not result in a performance increase of any kind. It does make the car bounce around more, and some might like that. Some might find it more predictable. But again, EDC normal is pretty much the way to go if you want performance unless you want to go with a dedicated setup and throw away the stock springs and shocks.

+1 i agree with this... i felt that the difference in handling on the track between sport and normal is very minimal. hence, i had it set to normal while driving on the track and it performed very well.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #15
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Just to be clear - is OP referring to the default setting as "normal", or the middle of the three options?

To me, there's a pretty pronounced difference between the Comfort and Normal settings. Of course, Sport is just that much better, but not my toodling around town choice. That's why it's set as part of "M-mode!" Normal is pretty sporty though, and does seem to be a more controlled choice for most roadways as noted above, even if feedback/harshness is slightly less.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #16
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
Just to be clear - is OP referring to the default setting as "normal", or the middle of the three options?

To me, there's a pretty pronounced difference between the Comfort and Normal settings. Of course, Sport is just that much better, but not my toodling around town choice. That's why it's set as part of "M-mode!" Normal is pretty sporty though, and does seem to be a more controlled choice for most roadways as noted above, even if feedback/harshness is slightly less.
Just to re-emphasize in case some didn't get it, Normal is generally the highest performance mode of EDC. Sport takes the shocks out of dynamic mode and limits their compression and rebound settings to something lower than the Normal setting.

Depending on how aggressively you brake, accelerate, attach slaloms, etc. you might chose the Sport mode for a smooth autocross course. The results will depend on your driving style, but I suspect that Normal will yield faster times for drivers that brake aggressively and attack slaloms.

Sport is an old timey mode for those that want the feel of tight, non-dynamic shocks.

BTW, my new Dinan springs really match up perfectly with the EDC. I stay in Normal mode, but the springs move the car's response a step or two closer to the Sport settings static feel, but with more compliance and the full dynamics of EDC. They're a really, really nice match for the EDC, for those that want a little extra performance and want to keep the EDC.

Dave
      05-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #17
12:03
full collapse on impact
Rep
Drives: BMW

motons

/thread
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12:03 View Post
motons

/thread
I'm not sure what you were trying to do, but if you meant to post a link it failed.

Dave
      05-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #19
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post

I really question that message from BMW because this is not what I experience at the track - the normal setting seems to allow far more body motion. I've finally got my traqmate and chasecam installed, I'll do some experiments this weekend at TWS.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #20
bmargolis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
I took delivery 4 weeks ago and have been driving mostly in EDC "normal" believing the technology would provide the best of both worlds. Well I thought there was something wrong with my car or with me- it was good but not really great. My concerns where:

--- Every bump seemed different in terms of the cars response. The car seemed to twist side to side and the force of a large bump seemed to linger and move the whole car .

--- Initial turn in gave alot of roll and then less so as the turn progressed.

---Braking seemed hard to modulate at low speeds-I could not stop in a linear fashion- I thought I was lame.

---The force of the steering at either setting just didnt seem to match how the car turned in response to steering input.

In short I was underwhelmed with the feel of the car- I figured it must be me and then.... I changed EDC to sport and everything improved drastically!!

Much less initial bodyroll entering turns, linear brake feel, bumps come and go very quickly and the body itself seems much less effected, and everything feels cut from the same cloth-the weight of the steering seems directtly reated to how the car is turning- it feels ike all the controls and responses have been calibrated to work together perfectly- it's now the car I've read so much about.

To be clear this is not about driving at 9/10 ths- it's the feel in routine around town driving that is most profoundly improved and the fatser I go the better it feels.

I know these things are a matter of preference BUT it's hard for me to believe these things are a matter of taste. I implore anyone who has not driven in EDC sport to try it ASAP.

I think EDC that varies is not ready for prime time!
To each their own.

I do find it interesting that people like Will Turner say that the best EDC setting on the track is "normal."

2013 335i xDrive – 6-speed, AW, M Sport Line, Cold Weather, Dymanic Handling, Premium, Technology, 403M, Black Grills, Carbon Caps, Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #21
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I'm not sure what you were trying to do, but if you meant to post a link it failed.

Dave
/thread esentially means "last word".

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #22
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
I really question that message from BMW because this is not what I experience at the track - the normal setting seems to allow far more body motion. I've finally got my traqmate and chasecam installed, I'll do some experiments this weekend at TWS.
Maybe during regular in town driving that's the case, but the message is that is not the case when you push the car around a track. Plus, bouncier does not mean faster. Let us know what you find out...