BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-09-2009, 02:00 AM   #89
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Looking good! Thanks for the pics and updates!
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #90
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

So cool. Great progress. I'm sure you will be thrilled with the outcome. As far as the interest in selling a few of these goes - it looks promising. However, from my perspective it is a bit like polishing a turd. The OEM system is far too heavy and far too ugly to have such fine and detailed customization thrown at it. I'm still considering an aftermarket system with a bypass that can be added entirely externally.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #91
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

damn
that's some nice welding
      07-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #92
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
..from my perspective it is a bit like polishing a turd. The OEM system is far too heavy and far too ugly to have such fine and detailed customization thrown at it.
Polishing a turd. Haha, I like that. For me, there were a few big advantages to using the stock exhaust, such as:
  1. I didnt have to spend $2500+ on an aftermarket one (or the parts to make one) then another $700 on the valve parts
  2. It retains some of the stock appearance (sleeper)
  3. I know exactly what I'm going to get when the valves are closed, because thats what was on before.
  4. It would seem to me that the service department would give me less of an issue than if I had a totally aftermarket exhaust, although when I spoke to my service department about that, they didnt seem to really care what I do to my car, so I guess this point is mute.
  5. Also, remember that the oem system was tuned by BMW to eliminate drone with the Helmholtz chamber. Now, I don't know if I've seriously affected the tuning of it with my mods, but there seems to be a good chance I haven't. I wont know till I fire it up, open the valves and drive, but it seems likely to me that apparent drone should be very minimal to nonexistant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuVan View Post
damn that's some nice welding
He was actually pretty upset with how they came out. Sam has pretty high standards for his work, but I think the welds are awesome considering the gap he had to fill. He didnt even want me to posts pics of them! You know, in the end, they are just welds and who the hell is going to look under my car and say wow those welds arent perfect?!?! The reality is they are strong as hell and certainly wont break/leak.

--------------------------------------------------
[Long Term Valve update] For anyone considering buying Race Ready Valves, you should read this first:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...40#post9589740
Changing gears, I spent some time tonight messing with the switch section of this project. My plan was to embed the wireless receiver inside of the oem headlight assembly, but there was not a lot of room and the buttons didn't line up that great. Also, it would have been hard to retain a good button feel (you know, sort of long throw and squishy). So, I was forced to put the wireless remote externally. When I took a good look at the BMW circuit board, I realized that with a couple mods, I could actually use the switch assembly to activate my wireless controller. Onto the pics!

This shows the three soldering points I had to make. I tested the pads with a multimeter first to make sure that I was hitting the right pads for each button (open and close). I drilled a small hole in the enclosure for the exiting wires.

This shot shows all of the internals of the oem headlight assembly and my parts. Yes, those are legos.

I've soldered on the other end of the leads to the oem circuit board now. I'm pressing one of the button pads to illuminate the led (left edge of the remote as shown). Interestingly, there are two pads for each button - the one to the right of my finger is identical in its operation. Oh, btw careful when removing the stock parts from the car, I sliced the hell out of my finger - the edges are really sharp.

These are two lego parts that I assembled. I didn't create this idea, its fairly common with the fog light mod guys, but I used different parts than them to get the right feel. I've epoxied them together so they dont fall apart [UPDATE: after 1.5 years, still holding strong and feels great!].

This is showing a step that was necessary so that my fog lights didnt come on when I press the buttons. I snipped the pins correlating to the two buttons so that they did not make contact to the car's wiring harness. I didn't snip the third common pin because it was shared with the center dial as well. So far, the car doesn't seem to mind!

Everything is in its place now ready for snapping back together.Note that I filled the backside of the lego blocks. I found that after a lot of button presses, the rubber pad things from the circuit board tended to wander into the middle of the lego block. This also gave the button a better feel, perhaps because its using both pads now instead of maybe one.

Testing the buttons, all is well. The top button will open the valves, the bottom will close them.

I hooked up the wiring to test the assembly and check the range. I was able to go a decent 40 feet and still make it work. This is a decent remote setup. It will loose some range when installed in the dash, but not much probably, and it will certainly be strong enough to reach the controller box in the trunk.

Valve open..

The rest of the surrounds and the left button blank are on now. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I just used industrial velcro to attach it to the back of the headlight switch assembly. the batteries in these remotes are pretty good, so I'm not too worried about having to remove the switch to put a new one in. I didnt take any tools to remove the dash panels, just grippy fingers.

The dash pieces are just held into place with those blue resistance pegs. A gently slow tug is all you need to get them off, or push them on. You can see the connector here for the headlight switch. You slide that lighter gray bit left to right to release the connector.

The headlight switch has a lip there so you have to take the vent piece off first.

Looking stock! I may design and cut some vinyl stickers of little tail pipes to go over the buttons later.

Thanks for watching and the comments!

Last edited by Subw00er; 05-12-2011 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #93
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

NICE!!

Last edited by RRGOO7; 07-15-2009 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #94
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Really amazing work. I can't wait to hear it in operation.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #95
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

This is such a cool project

I can't wait to see the finished product!!
      07-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #96
sgar0777
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 AW/BLK 6MT

This is fascinating... I love the ideas, the customization, and the detailed reporting!!

Thanks for keeping my attention for more than 2 seconds. I can't wait to see/hear the finished product.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #97
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
can't wait til you bolt it on
      07-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #98
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Polishing a turd. Haha, I like that. For me, there were a few big advantages to using the stock exhaust, such as:
  1. I didnt have to spend $2500+ on an aftermarket one (or the parts to make one) then another $700 on the valve parts
  2. It retains some of the stock appearance (sleeper)
  3. I know exactly what I'm going to get when the valves are closed, because thats what was on before.
  4. It would seem to me that the service department would give me less of an issue than if I had a totally aftermarket exhaust, although when I spoke to my service department about that, they didnt seem to really care what I do to my car, so I guess this point is mute.
  5. Also, remember that the oem system was tuned by BMW to eliminate drone with the Helmholtz chamber. Now, I don't know if I've seriously affected the tuning of it with my mods, but there seems to be a good chance I haven't. I wont know till I fire it up, open the valves and drive, but it seems likely to me that apparent drone should be very minimal to nonexistant.
Yes, I agree there are many good reasons to stick with the stock system. It seems to meet your requirements just fine. Again for me personally I just can't stomach the huge weight penalty and poor aesthetics of the stock unit.

Like the rest of the project, the button work is fantastic. Would be a good option for me if I go a similar route except I already used one of those for the rear fog light mod.

Eager to see a video!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #99
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
For me, there were a few big advantages to using the stock exhaust
Good work buddy. Hey, just curious: are you going to finish your project by polishing the visible part of the exhaust??? I'd look much better . Take care.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #100
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Good work buddy. Hey, just curious: are you going to finish your project by polishing the visible part of the exhaust??? I'd look much better . Take care.
Good question. Sam and I were chatting about that last time we were working on it. There are some tape marks and stuff that we need to clean up. I guess there are two options. One is that we just take a polisher to it and shine it up a bit to remove the stuff, or just go to town with goo gone or something.

The other is to use a trademark swirl pattern that Sam does to a lot of his artwork. Here is an example of the finish:

or

It is hard to photograph, but it looks pretty nice in person. I am not sure if it really fits an exhaust per se, but Id' like to do it sort of as a trademark thing. The other sort of negative part would be that it might be really distracting from the rear, and would definitely kill my "keeping stock" look. Your thoughts?

Part of me just wants to paint the thing in black, maybe powder coat or something. The other idea idea we had was to make some sort of small plaque with that design and Sam's trademark, and weld it on... then just clean up the exhaust.

BTW, if you are interested in art, have a look at Sam's website. He is a welder by trade, but at heart, he is an accomplished artist. This is his new website: http://samuelegallery.com

BTW, about the tips.. there have been some manufacturing delays, not sure they will make it on or not. We'll see. Are there any other vendors selling black chrome tips for the e92?
      07-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #101
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!

damn im too dumb to think of stuff like this, cant wait to see the finished product
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 08:12 AM   #102
Andrew912
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2009

Great Job! Can't wait to hear the sound.... I am amazed with the work you have been doing, keep on posting the update and Thanks for sharing your excellent works.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #103
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

You cra-zy mon

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 01:52 AM   #104
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

jeezus u guys are amazing
      07-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #105
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

We may finish up tonight!

Any opinions on the finish - swirl vs buffed vs just cleaned up?
      07-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #106
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

swirl would be unique, and cool. but in my opinion it's a waste of time and just cleaned up is all you need to do
      07-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #107
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

+1 on the no swirl. Swirl is for bar tables, architecture, art, etc., not a muffler. A polish might look OK.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #108
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

No on the swirl. (Not that I don't like it--I do, it's awesome work--but just not for an exhaust. Art yes, exhaust no.)

I like the vision of keeping the stock appearance, so just clean it up to those "standards" and you're done. If it's too polished or another color that defeats the idea of keeping it stock.

Of course, you can always do other things in the future if keeping it stock looking is no longer a goal a stock look for now doesn't restrict future options.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #109
CSMRX7
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I would say no to the swirl looks great on furniture etc, but not a huge fan of it on cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #110
askiles
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan - Alpine White

Black.

-Andy