BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #45
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMITLESS_M3 View Post
When somebody says a 997 turbo is more fun to drive than a V8 M3 i know whoever made the comment cannot drive either car at the limit . Someone capable to drive the E92 M3 at the limit knows the M3 fun factor is freaking absolutely awesome. But yeah most owners are half poser, just enthusiasts and beyond mashing the throttle they're not about controlling it at the limit. They can own the car 5-6 years, sell it, and never knew how fun it was at the limit. If you are limited to that then yes, you'll find the boosted porsche has more launching power and is much lighter in turns. But on the the fun level, it's either less or about the same. Yes, i drove both at the limit, but i'll admit the porsche turbo 4WD is more dangerous to drive at the limit, so i kept myself alive.
Esthetics on the other hands is a personal matter (the above wasn't), and a porsche is a porsche, some like, some meh. I think the 997 body doesn't quite look it belongs to this time and era anymore. The body shape is really looking outdated when you compare to any supercar.
A massive assumption that is inherently flawed.

Your conclusory statements indicate a large amount of ignorance, despite you having driven both cars "at the limit." You seem to forget that at the end of the day this is a subjective analysis of "what is more fun to drive." I'm certain there are drivers who posses a significantly higher level of driving skill than yourself, who would argue that a Turbo is "more fun to drive."

Last edited by buddalun; 06-25-2015 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #46
MDREDev
Banned
Rep
Drives: Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post

Your conclusory statements indicate a large amount of ignorance, despite you having driven both cars "at the limit." You seem to forget that at the end of the day this is a subjective analysis between "what is more fun to drive" and I'm certain there are drivers who posses a significantly higher level driving skill than yourself who would argue that a Turbo is "more fun to drive."
Exactly.

I'm one that has owned them both and tracked them both at Summit Point and VIR. The 997 Turbo was more fun to drive without question TO ME a the limit and on the street. That does not mean that the E92M3 wasn't an absolute hoot to drive and track as well. It was indeed.

Fun to drive is 100% subjective.

Last edited by MDREDev; 06-26-2015 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #47
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

For most the M3 is the best car period. You can drive the car very easily, very fast. It's just easy to drive. The 911 can be a little scary. On the street, the power is pretty useless as it's easily into triple digit speeds.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #48
LIMITLESS_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: N.A. stroker candidate

Quote:

Your conclusory statements indicate a large amount of ignorance, despite you having driven both cars "at the limit." You seem to forget that at the end of the day this is a subjective analysis of "what is more fun to drive." I'm certain there are drivers who posses a significantly higher level of driving skill than yourself, who would argue that a Turbo is "more fun to drive."
You basically said nothing. The sun rose yesterday morning, some things are fun to do, you're certain there is a driver who is a better driver than I am. Really ???? How come, i always thought i am the champion pilot of the world. Lol. and some good drivers find turbo fun ? another incredible surprise. Damn you should join the scandal press, you're delivering scoop after scoop.

PS: Good drivers will never say the E92 M3 is not fun while the boosted Porsche is, they'll say they're both very capable and fun cars. Poor and average M3 drivers attach more importance to easily accessible performance like launch acceleration and as they're not capable to tap into dynamic driving situations at the limit, they will underestimate the M3 fun factor.

I think the E92 m3 is a great discriminator of lower driver skills and rewards more skilled drivers significantly more. A boosted car will provide lower hanging fruit in straight line acceleration for unskilled drivers. But in other departments the M3 holds itself very well, especially at the limit it gives a confidence that the P turbo lacks !

Last edited by LIMITLESS_M3; 06-26-2015 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:29 PM   #49
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Faster doesn't necessarily mean more fun to drive, tho that seems to be the case for many. Over at the Porsche and Ferrari forums, people say they are bored to tears driving the 991 TTS on the track. Really fun to drive porkers are the GT3 and GTS. Hell, even Caymans are fun, albeit a little slow.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #50
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Faster doesn't necessarily mean more fun to drive, tho that seems to be the case for many. Over at the Porsche and Ferrari forums, people say they are bored to tears driving the 991 TTS on the track. Really fun to drive porkers are the GT3 and GTS. Hell, even Caymans are fun, albeit a little slow.
I think to your point, sometimes the slower cars are most fun. You're able to extract a bit more and push them a bit more than the faster car. The 991 Turbo S is just so damn good at everything and makes going fast so easy. It is a fucking riot to drive. Probably the most fun I can say I've had in turbo cars have been 911 turbos.

I have a buddy who does a lot of racing and he always says would you rather go fast in a slower car or slow in a faster?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #51
MDREDev
Banned
Rep
Drives: Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I have not driven a 991 TT(S) so I cannot offer an opinion on that. It wouldn't surprise me though as the 991 versioned 911's, in general, have become more GT'ish. Sure as hell would never turn one down though. The CaymanS provides the most fun to me over any car out there within a reasonable price point (under $120k).
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 08:20 AM   #52
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDREDev View Post
I have not driven a 991 TT(S) so I cannot offer an opinion on that. It wouldn't surprise me though as the 991 versioned 911's, in general, have become more GT'ish. Sure as hell would never turn one down though. The CaymanS provides the most fun to me over any car out there within a reasonable price point (under $120k).
The 911 range, except for the GT3/RS, and more so in the turbo/turbo S ARE pure GT cars. Granted they are razor sharp and still some of the best driver's cars money can buy. Under 120K I agree, nothing drives anywhere close to a Cayman for a coupe or a Boxster for a roadster.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #53
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMITLESS_M3 View Post
You basically said nothing. The sun rose yesterday morning, some things are fun to do, you're certain there is a driver who is a better driver than I am. Really ???? How come, i always thought i am the champion pilot of the world. Lol. and some good drivers find turbo fun ? another incredible surprise. Damn you should join the scandal press, you're delivering scoop after scoop.

PS: Good drivers will never say the E92 M3 is not fun while the boosted Porsche is, they'll say they're both very capable and fun cars. Poor and average M3 drivers attach more importance to easily accessible performance like launch acceleration and as they're not capable to tap into dynamic driving situations at the limit, they will underestimate the M3 fun factor.

I think the E92 m3 is a great discriminator of lower driver skills and rewards more skilled drivers significantly more. A boosted car will provide lower hanging fruit in straight line acceleration for unskilled drivers. But in other departments the M3 holds itself very well, especially at the limit it gives a confidence that the P turbo lacks !
As I correctly stated prior, your ignorance is shining through, quite nicely now with your follow-up post. I urge you to practice your reading comprehension skills.

Last edited by buddalun; 06-28-2015 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0