BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
philiphilip
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graphite 2008 BMW 335i SP

All-season tires worth it?

There is snow today and the potenza's on my 08 335 SP are having a really had time. In northern VA snow doesn't happen very often, but is it worth getting all-season's instead of my high performance summers for these few days a year?

What's the more cost-effective solution? Winter wheels+tires, or all-seasons?

Will i get THAT much more traction with all-seasons? And is it worth the potential loss of handling and driving pleasure?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

NoVA is tough because you don't get a lot of rain or snow but it does happen and the temps are often freezing in the winter. If the temps are below 35-40F most of the time, I think you would have advantages with a winter setup. Summer tires become rocks as the temps drop and even in the dry that means less traction and probably accelerated wear. I hate all-seasons because they do everything ok but nothing great. Traction to the ground is always a top consideration to me and winter tires will improve that in winter climates. I don't like to have to worry about grip.

If you have the means and storage space, I always think a set of winter wheels/tires is worth it if you'll be driving in freezing temps. If I were you, I would get Michelin PA4 in 255 square setup (largest width on the PA4) or Dunlop WS 3D in whatever size tire you're running now. You don't need a skinny snow specific tire.

FWIW, I don't really notice much if any loss of performance with my winter Michelins. Maybe a little more hard braking squirm and slightly reduced steering response but that's about it.

EDIT: Just realized you're in a 335i (this is the M3 forum). You probably wouldn't want a 255 square setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I ran all seasons for a few winters here in CT when I had my 335i years ago. The A/S were OK and got me where I needed to go but I only had a 9 mile back road commute to work at the time. If you are worried about snow, A/S are not going to help you much. I ran them because I already had them and was too cheap to get another set of winters. If I were buying a new set I would get a dedicated winter tire set and not get A/S.

I should mention that when I ran the A/S I was not driving in snowstorms - I would either work from home on those days or drive my wife's car. A/S are not good when there is snow on the roads but they were ok like the next day once the roads were cleared. How much snow do you get avg? What are the temps like in winter? Do you have access to another car?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

When I bought my Car, it came with DWS and with the snowfall here in Indiana, they have been okay as it is flat. The only time I avoided driving is when we had a blizzard right after Xmas. They seem to be good tires. I am a fan of two sets of tires...summer and winter (I drive my car all year round, all conditions). So usually have two sets of tires (summer and winter) rather than the all season route. Something to consider. Also good to have second set incase you get a puncture...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3, SO/Bk

In Indiana here also. I've run all-seasons in the winter for a number of years on both my non-M and my M's. They are more than sufficient in all but deeper snow. Currently, my E90 M3 has Conti DWS's on it. If I had my preference, I'd be running Michelin PA4's. however, budget and lack of sizes in 19" has constrained me.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
J!M
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'm in North Carolina, and I run all seasons in the winter. Once the temperature starts getting below around 40 degrees, the all seasons have much better traction than my summer tires. And when it is wet, that effect is magnified.

The latest high performance all seasons are really not that bad to drive on. The biggest difference I notice is that you can feel a bit of squishiness on initial turn in as the tread squirms a bit more. I only notice it for the first day or two after the switch, and then I forget about it until I put the summers back on.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Michelin is coming out with a brand new A/S tire in the spring. It looks pretty amazing too.
Appreciate 0