BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

01-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Exclamation Melted Powdercoat on Exhaust Tips??

So I am looking at purchasing a used Gintani Exhaust and the tips look to be powdercoated, which I know does not hold up to extreme temperatures.

My questions are:
  • Does this even look powdercoated?
  • In this picture does the powdercoat look melted?
  • Do you think I could fix this by sanding the tips all the way back down?

Name:  20160114_125215_resized.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  289.5 KB
      01-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m
So I am looking at purchasing a used Gintani Exhaust and the tips look to be powdercoated, which I know does not hold up to extreme temperatures.

My questions are:
  • Does this even look powdercoated?
  • In this picture does the powdercoat look melted?
  • Do you think I could fix this by sanding the tips all the way back down?

Attachment 1355016
Ceramic coating is a better method for coating parts that are subjected to high temperatures. Cured powder coat will start to burn off at about 575 degrees F but ceramic coating is good for in excess of 2000 degrees F.
      01-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #3
335m
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Ceramic coating is a better method for coating parts that are subjected to high temperatures. Cured powder coat will start to burn off at about 575 degrees F but ceramic coating is good for in excess of 2000 degrees F.
Yes... I mentioned that powdercoating does not handle high temps.

Could you offer your opinion on any of the questions I asked?
      01-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I wonder if it was just spray painted with high-temp black paint.
      01-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #5
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Quote:

Take it to a shop that does ceramic coating, they will abrasive blast the tips and coat them for you....... If you want black tips that is. If you want to remove it yourself it will be very time consuming work sanding on them, cured powder coat is difficult to remove, but it is not impossible. Once you have the coating off you could polish the tips and have that look if you prefer it.
      01-28-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
It might be plasti-dip? Looks like it from the texture. You never know till you have it. You can get new tips off ebay and weld them on for cheap at an exhaust shop.

I'd skip the hassle. Gintani exhaust drones. :/
      01-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR
Quote:
Quote:

Take it to a shop that does ceramic coating, they will abrasive blast the tips and coat them for you....... If you want black tips that is. If you want to remove it yourself it will be very time consuming work sanding on them, cured powder coat is difficult to remove, but it is not impossible. Once you have the coating off you could polish the tips and have that look if you prefer it.
I removed my black painted tips with Aircraft Cleaner. Smother that shit on and scrape off with plastic scraper. Use in warm or sunny area. Slather it on, let sit for 10 minutes, it bubbles off. Don't get it on your skin it's itchy as hell
      01-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
335m
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I removed my black painted tips with Aircraft Cleaner. Smother that shit on and scrape off with plastic scraper. Use in warm or sunny area. Slather it on, let sit for 10 minutes, it bubbles off. Don't get it on your skin it's itchy as hell
I'll try out some cleaner on it and see how it turns out, then most likely stop by an exhaust shop and ask for new tips if possible. I'd prefer polished tips over black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
It might be plasti-dip? Looks like it from the texture. You never know till you have it. You can get new tips off ebay and weld them on for cheap at an exhaust shop.

I'd skip the hassle. Gintani exhaust drones. :/
Gintani sport is the only exhaust I really like the tone of, deep low bass sound vs all the other exotic sounding exhausts that are too loud or raspy.

Besides I don't really spend any time at 2k rpms in Austin.
      01-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

Ha, Aircraft Remover. That stuff is amazing, but definitely wear gloves and use it outside...the fumes will seriously fuck you up.
      01-29-2016, 06:33 PM   #10
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
I'll try out some cleaner on it and see how it turns out, then most likely stop by an exhaust shop and ask for new tips if possible. I'd prefer polished tips over black.

Besides I don't really spend any time at 2k rpms in Austin.
You might want to try this stuff first. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...14&postcount=3 It's available @ Home Depot/Lowes. Biodegradable, no fumes. I did this inside the house. And there aren't any really decent shops in ATX for ceramic coating. I sent my setup (mufflers + tips) to the guy that does Kenny Tran's (Jotech) stuff. He turned it around in less than a week. Price was decent, too.

Interested in hearing how that Gintani sounds vs my setup. Have to meet up with you sometime once you get it on...

Last edited by whats77inaname; 01-29-2016 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #11
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm
Quote:

Ha, Aircraft Remover. That stuff is amazing, but definitely wear gloves and use it outside...the fumes will seriously fuck you up.
Lol. Works wonders. My cousin said something like, don't get that weak shit that can pass as part of your wife's garden/diy supply kit.

I've used paint stripper bare handed to refurbish up some old wood work and it would itch when it got on my hand for a prolonged time.

Aircraft remover, my whole arm was itching just brushing it onto the exhaust tips.
Attached Images