BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

09-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
doree610
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

LLumar clear bra vs...

spoke with a detailing shop that offers clear bra installation. they've offered all the major paint protectors like 3M Scotchgard, Ventureshield Ultra, Avery Nano Fusion & Xpel.. however the shop said they've recently stopped using each of the brands listed above due to various reasons. now they're installing LLumar paint protection film... i've noticed most of the threads posted on this site talk alot about the good quality of ventureshield ultra and avery nano fusion. has anyone had LLumar clear bra installed on their car, and if so any feedback? thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

LLumar is not a good film. Looks great initially but doesnt last 6 months. I have tested it out... as I do with all the films out there. I have found Suntek, Avery Nano Fusion (which was just released again last month after no production for almost a year), and Xpel Ultimate to be the three best films out there. I used to install Ventureshield Ultra but the film can scuff fairly easily and the Suntek and Xpel Ultmiate films have self healing top coats. Avery is almost impossible to scuff... so its a great film. I would recommend staying away from Llumar.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
doree610
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile View Post
LLumar is not a good film. Looks great initially but doesnt last 6 months. I have tested it out... as I do with all the films out there. I have found Suntek, Avery Nano Fusion (which was just released again last month after no production for almost a year), and Xpel Ultimate to be the three best films out there. I used to install Ventureshield Ultra but the film can scuff fairly easily and the Suntek and Xpel Ultmiate films have self healing top coats. Avery is almost impossible to scuff... so its a great film. I would recommend staying away from Llumar.
thanks for the advice
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

I dont belive in clear-bras..bust isnt 3M the standard?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I dont belive in clear-bras..bust isnt 3M the standard?
3M developed paint protection film about 20 years ago but their film has never advanced. While new coatings and technology has advanced in the market 3M has stayed with the same old film. It has a lot of texture to it because they use a heavy paper backing instead of thin plastic. The adhesive is also way too strong and will remain on the paint if the film is ever removed. And finally the top coat is acrylic... which is rigid and not made to stretch. They have had a lot of problems with it cacking over the years and becoming almost impossible to remove from the paint. So of course its a big name but the product is inferior to other films out there... and it actually costs MORE than the other films. Makes no sense.
Appreciate 0